What Do Hiring Managers Look for in a Surgical Nurse Resume
- Proficient in assisting surgeons during surgical procedures, ensuring a safe and sterile environment.
- Strong knowledge of surgical instruments, equipment, and sterile techniques.
- Skilled in prepping patients for surgery, including administering anesthesia and monitoring vital signs.
- Ability to assist in surgical procedures, including passing instruments, suturing, and wound care.
- Proficiency in post-operative care, including monitoring patients, administering medications, and providing patient education.
How to Write a Surgical Nurse Resume?
To write a professional Surgical Nurse resume, follow these steps:
- Select the right Surgical Nurse resume template.
- Write a professional summary at the top explaining your Surgical Nurse’s experience and achievements.
- Follow the STAR method while writing your Surgical Nurse resume’s work experience. Show what you were responsible for and what you achieved as a Surgical Nurse.
- List your top Surgical Nurse skills in a separate skills section.
Write the perfect Surgical Nurse resume header by:
- Adding your full name at the top of the header.
- Add a photo to your resume if you are applying for jobs outside of the US. For applying to jobs within the US, avoid adding photo to your resume header.
- Add your current Surgical Nurse job title to the header to show relevance.
- Add your current city, your phone number and a professional email address.
- Finally, add a link to your portfolio to the Surgical Nurse resume header. If there’s no portfolio link to add, consider adding a link to your LinkedIn profile instead.
Valentin 696 Rock Maple St. South Lyon, MI 48178 Marital Status: Married, email: email@example.com
Valentin Ross, Lyon, MI, Phone number: +1-555-555-5555, Link: linkedin/in/johndoe
Make sure to add a professional looking email address while writing your resume header. Let’s assume your name is John Doe - here is a formula you can use to create email addresses:
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
For a Surgical Nurse email, we recommend you either go with a custom domain name (firstname.lastname@example.org) or select a very reputed email provider (Gmail or Outlook).
How to Write a Professional Surgical Nurse Resume Summary?
Use this template to write the best Surgical Nurse resume summary:
Surgical Nurse with [number of years] experience of [top 2-3 skills]. Achieved [top achievement]. Expert at [X], [Y] and [Z].
How to Write a Surgical Nurse Resume Experience Section?
Here’s how you can write a job winning Surgical Nurse resume experience section:
- Write your Surgical Nurse work experience in a reverse chronological order.
- Use bullets instead of paragraphs to explain your Surgical Nurse work experience.
- While describing your work experience focus on highlighting what you did and the impact you made (you can use numbers to describe your success as a Surgical Nurse).
- Use action verbs in your bullet points.
Medical Surgical Nurse Resume Example
Medical Surgical Nurse
- Safely managed a patient load of 5-7 patients per shift in a long-term acute hospital setting.
- Provided care for patients with various medical conditions, including respiratory failure, infectious wounds, and surgical complications.
- Monitored vital signs and assessed patient status regularly to identify and respond to any changes in their condition.
- Administered medications to patients following proper protocols and disposed of medication waste and hazardous packaging in accordance with safety guidelines.
- Maintained effective communication with physicians and interdisciplinary team members, advocating for the well-being of patients at all times.
Senior Surgical Nurse Resume Example
Senior Surgical Nurse
- Worked in a busy 24-hour hospital, where I gained valuable technical skills and progressed to a senior surgical position.
- Coordinated and organized theatre staff and operation lists, ensuring all necessary surgical kits, equipment, and supplies were prepared for surgeons, registered veterinary nurses (RVNs), and anesthesiologists.
- Maintained and serviced all equipment to ensure its functionality, while also ordering stock supplies as needed.
- Prepared patients for surgery and monitored their anesthesia throughout the procedure.
- Trained new staff members and conducted Nurse Clinics.
- Performed emergency and critical care procedures, including schedule 3 procedures such as amputations, aural hematomas, and suturing.
Licensed Practical Medical Surgical Nurse Resume Example
Licensed Practical Medical Surgical Nurse
- Provided direct patient care to medical-surgical and emergency room patients, administering medication through various routes such as IV, oral, subcutaneous, and intramuscular.
- Executed physician orders and performed IV therapy for newly admitted patients.
- Re-educated patients and their families on medical-surgical disease processes to enhance their understanding and involvement in the treatment.
- Assisted with the discharge process, coordinating transfers to other facilities or arranging for patients to return home.
Surgical Nurse Resume Example
- Utilized advanced nursing judgement and problem-solving skills to respond to critical patients, leading to timely transfers to higher levels of care or early discharge to home, resulting in improved patient outcomes by 80%.
- Responded promptly to changes in heart rhythm or mental status, initiating stroke alerts and appropriate cardiac interventions.
- Proficient in managing Diltiazem and Heparin drips, monitoring CPAP and BIPAP therapies, and providing interventions on the Med/Surg floor, avoiding the need for ICU transfers and improving patient satisfaction.
- Demonstrated expertise in catheter and IV insertion and care, pressure ulcer prevention, and wound care, leading to a decrease in pressure ulcer incidence and increased patient satisfaction.
- Pursued my passion for delivering post-acute healthcare in the home setting.
ICU Nurse and Surgical Nurse Resume Example
ICU Nurse and Surgical Nurse
- Provided exceptional nursing care in ICU, Stepdown, and Medical/Surgical settings, specializing in the management of patients with cardiovascular and respiratory failure, liver and renal failure, and sepsis. Utilized in-depth knowledge of ECG interpretation, symptom assessment, and diagnostic findings to enhance patient outcomes for Veteran patients.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills, advocacy, and adherence to ethical principles, contributing to improved patient satisfaction.
- Acted as a preceptor and mentor to student nurses from Laramie County Community College and the University of Wyoming, providing comprehensive training on IV therapy and medication administration. Resulted in a better understanding of managing IV pumps and ensuring safe medication practices.
Medical/Surgical Nurse Resume Example
- Provide care to patients with diverse illnesses and conditions, adhering to patient safety standards and following facility and nursing care protocols.
- Educate patients and their families on the care and treatment plans during their hospital stay. Assist with discharge planning and advocate for the patient's needs.
- Utilize electronic charting systems to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements for order entry and accurate patient documentation.
Assistant Surgical Nurse Resume Example
Assistant Surgical Nurse
- Assisted in collecting and organizing patient personal information and completed necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
- Provided support to patients dealing with chronic, incurable diseases or accidents.
- Conducted vital sign measurements (blood pressure, temperature, respiration) and collected samples for laboratory testing. Applied splints when necessary.
- Prepared and sanitized medical tools, dressing materials, and sterilization equipment.
- Organized and monitored the inventory and operation of medical tools, instruments, devices, clothing, serums, pharmaceuticals, and consumables.
- Monitored the functioning of basic medical devices and instruments, and promptly reported any malfunctions to the nursing staff.
Surgical Nurse Resume Example
- Provided comprehensive in-home shift care to patients, offering support and assistance for a duration of 12 hours.
- Recorded and maintained a log of patients' vital signs and health-related information.
- Administered prescribed medications on schedule and ensured proper organization of medication supplies.
- Assisted patients with bathing, hygiene care, and ensured skin integrity to prevent breakdown.
- Implemented safety measures to minimize risks and accidents.
- Supported patients with activities of daily living (ADL) and facilitated pain management.
- Conducted range of motion exercises to promote mobility and prevent muscle stiffness.
- Prepared meals according to dietary requirements and provided transportation to medical appointments.
Acute Care Surgical Nurse Resume Example
Acute Care Surgical Nurse
- Provided education to medical students, interns, residents, and fellows on the surgical management of patients with pancreatic and general surgical conditions.
- Led a program initiative to prevent surgical readmissions, managing ongoing CUSP (Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program) projects in collaboration with Dr. Peter Pronovost.
- Developed standardized GI surgery ordersets, transitioning from written to preprinted formats.
- Successfully transferred data from preprinted GI surgery ordersets to electronic ordersets.
- Designed and implemented perioperative ordersets for the management of Auto Islet Cell Transplant patients.
- Created and implemented a waste reduction program specifically focused on isolation patients.
Top Surgical Nurse Resume Skills for 2023
- Preoperative patient assessment and preparation
- Intraoperative surgical assistance
- Sterile technique and surgical asepsis
- Surgical instrument identification and handling
- Surgical site marking and verification
- Surgical instrument sterilization and decontamination
- Operating room (OR) setup and equipment preparation
- Anesthesia administration and monitoring
- Surgical scrubbing and gowning
- Surgical draping and positioning
- Wound care and dressing application
- Surgical team collaboration and communication
- Infection prevention and control in the OR
- Surgical instrument and supply management
- Patient monitoring during surgery (vital signs, anesthesia, etc.)
- Surgical specimen handling and labeling
- Operating room turnover and cleaning
- Surgical wound closure techniques
- Postoperative patient care and monitoring
- Pain management and medication administration
- Surgical patient education and discharge planning
- Hemostasis techniques
- Suture removal and wound assessment
- Operating room safety protocols and procedures
- Emergency response and crisis management in the OR
- Surgical equipment troubleshooting
- Surgical site infection prevention strategies
- Blood and fluid administration during surgery
- Patient positioning and transfer techniques
- Surgical instrument count and accountability
- Surgical nursing documentation and charting
- Assisting with surgical procedures (e.g., retraction, suturing)
- Monitoring and managing sterile field integrity
- Post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) care and monitoring
- Sterile gown and glove donning and doffing
- Surgical equipment setup and maintenance
- Surgical patient assessment during recovery
- Surgical wound assessment and care planning
- Airway management during surgery
- Surgical patient safety measures
- Surgical team dynamics and communication
- Surgical emergencies recognition and response
- Mediation of surgical team conflicts
How Long Should my Surgical Nurse Resume be?
Your Surgical Nurse resume length should be less than one or two pages maximum. Unless you have more than 25 years of experience, any resume that’s more than two pages would appear to be too long and risk getting rejected.
On an average, for Surgical Nurse, we see most resumes have a length of 2. And, that’s why we advise you to keep the resume length appropriate to not get rejected.