What do Hiring Managers look for in a Mental Health Counselor Resume?
While scanning a Mental Health Counselor resume, hiring managers expect to see the following from a good candidate:
- A master's degree in counseling or a related field, as well as any relevant state licensure or certification, such as Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
- Experience providing counseling and therapy services to clients in a variety of settings, such as outpatient clinics, hospitals, or private practices.
- Proficiency in specific counseling approaches, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), or mindfulness-based therapies.
- Experience conducting assessments and screenings to evaluate clients' mental health and develop treatment plans.
How to Write a Mental Health Counselor Resume?
To write a professional Mental Health Counselor resume, follow these steps:
- Select the right Mental Health Counselor resume template.
- Write a professional summary at the top explaining your Mental Health Counselor’s experience and achievements.
- Follow the STAR method while writing your Mental Health Counselor resume’s work experience. Show what you were responsible for and what you achieved as a Mental Health Counselor.
- List your top Mental Health Counselor skills in a separate skills section.
Write the perfect Mental Health Counselor resume header by:
- Adding your full name at the top of the header.
- Add a photo to your resume if you are applying for jobs outside of the US. For applying to jobs within the US, avoid adding photo to your resume header.
- Add your current Mental Health Counselor to the header to show relevance.
- Add your current city, your phone number and a professional email address.
- Finally, add a link to your portfolio to the Mental Health Counselor resume header. If there’s no portfolio link to add, consider adding a link to your LinkedIn profile instead.
Cason 35 Marshall Drive Chardon, OH 44024 Marital Status: Married, email: email@example.com
Cason Reilly, Chardon, OH, Phone number: +1-555-555-5555, Link: linkedin/in/johndoe
Make sure to add a professional looking email address while writing your resume header. Let’s assume your name is John Doe - here is a formula you can use to create email addresses:
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
For a Mental Health Counselor email, we recommend you either go with a custom domain name (firstname.lastname@example.org) or select a very reputed email provider (Gmail or Outlook).
How to Write a Professional Mental Health Counselor Resume Summary?
Use this template to write the best Mental Health Counselor resume summary:
Mental Health Counselor with [number of years] experience of [top 2-3 skills]. Achieved [top achievement]. Expert at [X], [Y] and [Z].
Example Summary for a Licensed Mental Health Counselor Resume
Licensed Mental Health Counselor with extensive experience in conducting initial screenings of victims for high-risk psychosocial criteria, suicidal/homicidal ideation, and emotional distress symptoms requiring immediate intervention. Skilled in providing brief strategic and crisis counseling to victims and families in collaboration with other medical and behavioral health teams. Proficient in developing and implementing customized treatment plans to meet the unique needs of each client. Strong advocate for clients and their families, with expertise in psychoeducation and referral services.
Mental Health Counselor Resume Summary Example
Experienced Mental Health Counselor with expertise in individual and group counseling for adolescents and adults. Specializes in intensive outpatient and outpatient programs for eating disorders and substance abuse treatment. Skilled in facilitating DBT, Art Therapy, and Interpersonal Communication groups to promote emotional regulation and healthy communication. Committed to providing compassionate and effective counseling to help clients achieve their goals and improve their mental health.Experienced in using tools such as Excel and Python to manipulate and clean data for accurate analysis.
How to Write a Mental Health Counselor Resume Experience Section?
Here’s how you can write a job winning Mental Health Counselor resume experience section:
- Write your Mental Health Counselor work experience in a reverse chronological order.
- Use bullets instead of paragraphs to explain your Mental Health Counselor work experience.
- While describing your work experience focus on highlighting what you did and the impact you made (you can use numbers to describe your success as a Mental Health Counselor).
- Use action verbs in your bullet points.
Clinical Mental Health Counselor Intern Resume Example
Clinical Mental Health Counselor
- Conducted initial assessments and interviews with clients to gather psycho-social history.
- Administered and scored various assessments to determine appropriate treatment plans.
- Counseled and provided support to individuals with diverse mental health concerns.
- Maintained accurate and detailed records and provided written and verbal reports.
- Collaborated with clients to develop and implement effective treatment plans.
- Presented psycho-social summaries and treatment recommendations to healthcare professionals.
Forensic Mental Health Counselor Resume Example
Forensic Mental Health Counselor
- Collaborated with patients of various ages and their families to provide reality-oriented counseling and monitored their progress in the community using a company vehicle.
- Assisted in formulating individual treatment goals and determining appropriate therapeutic techniques for successful community tenure.
- Evaluated patients' suitability for outpatient treatment and monitored their conditions of release.
- Maintained regular contact with attorneys, probation officers, and parole officers to report patients' progress and recommend treatment and services if needed.
- Led occasional groups in collaboration with the courts for the Outpatient Competency Restoration Program (OCRP) for individuals who were found incompetent for their court hearings.
Mental Health Counselor Intern Resume Example
Mental Health Counselor Intern
- Conduct individual and group counseling sessions for adolescents and adults in intensive outpatient and outpatient programs, focusing on eating disorders and substance abuse treatment.
- Facilitate DBT, Art Therapy, and Interpersonal Communication groups to promote emotional regulation and healthy communication.
- Conduct initial client assessments by reviewing personal histories and interviewing clients to determine the nature and severity of their situation.
- Develop personalized treatment plans with measurable milestones to track client progress and ensure the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Maintain thorough and accurate client records to track treatment progress and ensure compliance with legal and ethical guidelines.
Licensed Mental Health Counselor Resume Example
Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Conduct initial screening of victims for high-risk psychosocial criteria, suicidal/homicidal ideation, and emotional distress symptoms requiring immediate intervention.
- Provide brief strategic and crisis counseling to victims and families in coordination with other medical and behavioral health teams.
- Refer victims to behavioral health for ongoing counseling and coordinate with other resources as needed.
- Maintain clinical records and perform administrative tasks, including advocacy and psychoeducational services to clients and their families.
- Develop treatment plans and set goals for clients, and provide clinical counseling and crisis intervention when necessary.
- Coordinate support from alternate resources through proper referral systems.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all parties involved in diverse cases through safety planning during crisis intervention.
Top Mental Health Counselor Resume Certifications
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC)
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC)
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC)
- Certified Grief Counselor (CGC)
- Certified Mental Health Integrative Medicine Provider (CMHIMP)
- Certified Eating Disorder Specialist (CEDS)
- Certified Trauma Support Specialist (CTSS)
- Certified Child and Adolescent Mental Health Professional (CCMH)
Top Mental Health Counselor Resume Skills for 2023
- Treatment planning
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Solution-focused therapy
- Mindfulness-based therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Crisis intervention
- Substance abuse counseling
- Trauma-focused therapy
- Motivational interviewing
- Anger management
- Grief counseling
- Art therapy
- Play therapy
- Relaxation techniques
- Conflict resolution
- Communication skills
- Cultural competence
- Ethics and boundaries
- Case management
- Referral management
- Risk assessment
How Long Should my Mental Health Counselor Resume be?
Your Mental Health Counselor resume length should be less than one or two pages maximum. Unless you have more than 25 years of experience, any resume that’s more than two pages would appear to be too long and risk getting rejected.
On an average, for Mental Health Counselor, we see most resumes have a length of 2. And, that’s why we advise you to keep the resume length appropriate to not get rejected.