What Do Hiring Managers Look for in a Contributing Writer Resume
- Proficient in researching, writing, and producing high-quality content for various platforms and publications.
- Strong knowledge of writing techniques, grammar, and storytelling principles.
- Skilled in conducting thorough research, fact-checking, and sourcing reliable information.
- Ability to adapt writing style and tone to different audiences and topics.
- Proficiency in meeting deadlines, collaborating with editors, and accepting constructive feedback.
How to Write a Contributing Writer Resume?
To write a professional Contributing Writer resume, follow these steps:
- Select the right Contributing Writer resume template.
- Write a professional summary at the top explaining your Contributing Writer’s experience and achievements.
- Follow the STAR method while writing your Contributing Writer resume’s work experience. Show what you were responsible for and what you achieved as a Contributing Writer.
- List your top Contributing Writer skills in a separate skills section.
Write the perfect Contributing Writer resume header by:
- Adding your full name at the top of the header.
- Add a photo to your resume if you are applying for jobs outside of the US. For applying to jobs within the US, avoid adding photo to your resume header.
- Add your current Writing position to the header to show relevance.
- Add your current city, your phone number and a professional email address.
- Finally, add a link to your portfolio to the Contributing Writer resume header. If there’s no portfolio link to add, consider adding a link to your LinkedIn profile instead.
Arturo Miller 167 Hamilton Drive Phillipsburg, NJ 08865 Marital Status: Married, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arturo Miller Miller, Phillipsburg, NJ, Phone number: +1-555-555-5555, Link: linkedin/in/johndoe
Make sure to add a professional looking email address while writing your resume header. Let’s assume your name is John Doe - here is a formula you can use to create email addresses:
- email@example.com - firstname.lastname@example.org
- email@example.com - firstname.lastname@example.org
- email@example.com - firstname.lastname@example.org
- email@example.com - firstname.lastname@example.org
- email@example.com - firstname.lastname@example.org
- email@example.com - firstname.lastname@example.org
For a Contributing Writer email, we recommend you either go with a custom domain name (email@example.com) or select a very reputed email provider (Gmail or Outlook).
How to Write a Professional Contributing Writer Resume Summary?
Use this template to write the best Contributing Writer resume summary:
Contributing Writer with [number of years] experience of [top 2-3 skills]. Achieved [top achievement]. Expert at [X], [Y] and [Z].
How to Write a Contributing Writer Resume Experience Section?
Here’s how you can write a job winning Contributing Writer resume experience section:
- Write your Contributing Writer work experience in a reverse chronological order.
- Use bullets instead of paragraphs to explain your Contributing Writer work experience.
- While describing your work experience focus on highlighting what you did and the impact you made (you can use numbers to describe your success as a Contributing Writer).
- Use action verbs in your bullet points.
Contributing Writer Resume Example
- Conduct research on technical subjects.
- Conduct interviews with key figures in the technology community.
- Contribute to generating content ideas.
- Create tailored content that aligns with the readers' interests.
Contributing Writer Resume Example
- Authored features, profiles, and previews.
- Enhanced journalistic abilities and expertise.
Top Contributing Writer Resume Skills for 2023
- Strong writing skills, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Proficiency in different writing styles (e.g., journalistic, creative, technical)
- Research skills to gather and verify information
- Ability to write engaging and compelling content
- Understanding of target audience and writing for specific demographics
- Adherence to writing guidelines and editorial standards
- Familiarity with various content formats (e.g., articles, blog posts, essays)
- Fact-checking and accuracy in reporting
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple writing assignments
- Storytelling techniques and narrative development
- Interviewing skills for gathering information from sources
- Knowledge of copyright laws and plagiarism guidelines
- Ability to adapt writing style to different subject matters and tones
- Proofreading and editing skills
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) writing techniques
- Ability to craft compelling headlines and subheadings
- Understanding of content marketing and brand messaging
- Knowledge of online publishing platforms and content management systems
- Basic HTML and formatting skills for web publishing
- Collaboration and communication skills with editors and content teams
- Ability to incorporate feedback and revisions into writing
- Familiarity with social media platforms and writing for social media
- Understanding of audience engagement and reader interaction
- Ability to conduct interviews and research for feature articles
- Knowledge of journalistic ethics and principles
- Writing for different platforms (e.g., print, online, social media)
- Creative thinking and idea generation for content topics
- Use of storytelling techniques to engage readers
- Understanding of narrative structure and storytelling arcs
- Ability to write persuasive and compelling arguments
- Knowledge of AP (Associated Press) style or other style guides
- Ability to write for specific industries or niches
- Writing for different formats (e.g., long-form, short-form, listicles)
- Ability to adapt writing tone and style for different publications
- Conducting market and audience research for targeted writing
- Basic graphic design skills for creating visual content to accompany writing
- Knowledge of content distribution and promotion strategies
- Understanding of analytics and metrics to evaluate content performance
- Writing headlines and summaries for search engine visibility
- Basic understanding of digital marketing principles
- Knowledge of storytelling techniques for brand narratives
- Ability to write engaging product descriptions and promotional content
- Awareness of current trends and topics in relevant industries
- Writing compelling introductions and hooks to capture readers' attention
- Crafting compelling call-to-action statements
- Writing for different media channels (e.g., print, online, video)
How Long Should my Contributing Writer Resume be?
Your Contributing Writer resume length should be less than one or two pages maximum. Unless you have more than 25 years of experience, any resume that’s more than two pages would appear to be too long and risk getting rejected.
On an average, for Contributing Writer, we see most resumes have a length of 2. And, that’s why we advise you to keep the resume length appropriate to not get rejected.