General Surgery Resident
Wright State University
- Current PGY 1
- Current PGY 1
• Assisted in the identification of programming gaps specifically in Food and Nutrition programming.
• Provided technical advice on emergency Nutrition, Food, Hygiene and Sanitation programs from donors such as the World Food Program (WFP), United Nations International Children's Education Fund (UNICEF), United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
• Provided programmatic capacity building for current Program Managers for WFP funded Nutrition and Food Programing (all modalities).
• Provided support in emergency program development and implementation through the revision of current WFP budgets/proposals, advised on the successful design and implementation of community nutrition interventions, and the implementation and revision of current food programming for Unity State South Sudan.
• Acted as Samaritans Purse focal point for Food, Nutrition and Health inter organizational coordination with both I/NGOs and UN bodies, including UNHCR, UNICEF and WFP as well host and refugee communities; in order to beneficiary driven programing while ensuring minimal duplication in service provision to affected populations (Attend technical cluster/zone/hub meetings and interagency working groups in Unity State )
Compiled lessons learned from current responses for senior S. Sudan management; building on the existing organizational knowledge.
• Designed and Implemented a large multilateral study using Lot Quality Assurance Sampling (LQAS) methodology to determine the root causes of malnutrition in Yida Refugee camp (population 70k) with specific regard to utilization and access of food commodities.
• Acted as Samaritans Purse focal point for WFP airdrop planning and emergency food interventions.
Iraq - Mosul Conflict ( Food Security Consultant)
Haiti - Cholera Epidemic (Program Officer, Operational Support Cholera Epidemic)
Tunisia/Libya Border - Refugee Crisis (Program Officer, Food Security)
Kenya/Somalia Border - Drought Crisis (Program Officer, Emergency Program Development Manager)
Successful completion of STEP 1, STEP 2CS, STEP 2CK
Primary Focus: complex emergencies, operational accountability, strategic planning in emergencies. climate change induced migration.
Dissertation research Into traditional medical practices: specifically the performance of trephinations in Western Kenya
Senior research in caffeine effects on aerobic/anaerobic activity
Advanced Cardiac Life Support May 2017
Advanced Trauma Life Support June 2017
Fundamentals of Critical Care September 2017
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative September 2017
Assisted and taught basic suturing technique to third year medical students entering there surgical rotation
Lectured to university students on providing public health in emergencies
Gross anatomy teaching assistant for 1st year Physician Assistance Students
Yida Joint Household Assessment: LQAS Survey of Key Household Indicators Related to Current Malnutrition Trends.
To assess ongoing malnutrition issues in Yida, which are compounded by limited food access and utilization, poor hygiene and sanitation and poor health-seeking behavior, study was conducted to collect basic household indicator data with which to provide better treatment and prevention of malnutrition for children under five years old.
Yida Interagency Rapid Host Community Nutrition and Mapping Assessment
Rapid nutrition assessment and host community mapping exercise In Yida Boma, Yida Payam, Pariang County, Unity State, South Sudan.
Exploring the Practice of Trephinations Among the Marakwet in Rift Valley Province, Kenya: A Descriptive Study
Purpose was to describe the current practice of trephinations among the Marakwet, explore cultural beliefs about its role in head trauma, as well as document available outcomes.
Journal of the American College of Surgeons - Abstract
Genocide in Darfur - Colorado State University March 2007
Cholera Response in Haiti - Grand Rounds: Arkansas Department of Public Health March 2011
Health Care Funding in South Sudan - Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine Nov 2011
Trephinations Amoung the Marakwet - American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress Oct 2014
Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis - UAMS Internal Medicine Journal Club Dec 2015
Pulaski County Medical Society Carolyn Clayton scholarship recipient 2013
Society of Thoracic Surgery: Looking to the Future scholarship recipient 2015
Surgical Volunteer at Kapsowar Mission Hospital, Kenya (4 weeks) 2014
Surgical Volunteer at Edna Aden Hospital Hargeisa, Somaliland (1 week) 2014
Surgical Volunteer at Kapsowar Mission Hospital, Kenya (1 week) 2015
Surgical Volunteer at Kapsowar Mission Hospital, Kenya (2 weeks) 2015
SNMA Chapter events Mock Interview/ Heart Lab / Introduction to Medicine 2013-2015