Jun 2011 - Present
Legal Consultancy and Contract Work
- Provide legal counsel to nonprofit organization, including providing advice on nonprofit structure and governance, drafting bylaws and other critical documents, and filing application for recognition by the IRS of exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Provide legal counsel to small business, including drafting and negotiating contracts, and providing advice regarding trademark usage and registration.
- Engage in short-term projects facilitated by legal staffing agencies, including complex, large-scale document review projects.
Mar 2010 - Apr 2011
Commerical Litigation Associate
- Drafted significant portions of winning trial and appellate court briefs and regularly drafted documents such as complaints, written discovery, motions with accompanying memoranda of law, litigation reports and advice memoranda.
- Cross-examined an expert witness and defended a witness’ testimony at administrative hearing.
- Successfully argued motions at court.
- In breach of contract and business interference dispute, served as client’s main contact at the firm, negotiated directly and successfully with opposing side, and drafted the settlement agreement ultimately used to resolve the dispute.
- Assisted partners in providing legal counsel to condominium associations, individual home owners, businesses and private schools regarding construction projects, including reviewing and analyzing various legal documents to determine homeowners’ rights in case where builder had used products of a lesser grade then agreed upon, and providing legal research and written advice regarding the effect of a statute of repose on claims against a contractor where the state legislature had not clarified when the repose period begins to run for a multi-phase construction project.
- Helped state and local government and school district clients mitigate/prevent litigation by providing advice on their responsibilities and scope of authority, and legal analysis of governing statutes, regulations, policies, etc.
- Assisted in insurance defense litigation by interpreting policies, drafting reservation of rights letters, researching and analyzing insurance laws and regulations, evaluating levels of coverage, and monitoring underlying litigation.
- Represented indigent clients on a pro-bono basis in landlord-tenant disputes, including investigating claims, advising clients of their rights, negotiating lease agreements, and advocating for clients at hearings and meetings.
Sep 2009 - Jan 2010
- Evaluated petitions for writ of habeas corpus and drafted judicial opinions granting or denying relief.
- Conducted legal research and writing assignments on a variety of topics in the fields of civil and criminal procedure, including pro se matters involving abstention issues, constitutional issues, and issues of federal practice and procedure.
- Assisted in the Court’s ongoing amendments of its Local Rules.
Jan 2009 - May 2009
- Researched and provided legal advice on broker-dealer and agent compliance with state and federal licensing requirements, application of Blue Sky laws to investment products, and state and federal disclosure requirements.
- Assisted with regulatory compliance by evaluating internal practices, reviewing written materials provided to customers and determining whether they satisfied disclosure requirements, and drafting letters to the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority in response to inquiries.
May 2008 - Aug 2008
Summer Law Clerk
- Assisted in managing high-volume general liability claims against a Fortune 500 company by preparing litigation reports and providing legal research and advice memoranda on legal and factual issues.
- Regularly conducted legal research and writing, including drafting complaints, written discovery, and memoranda.
- Assisted in large scale document review projects.