Bachelor of Fine Arts
Major: Visual Communications Minor: Fine Arts + Cognitive Science
Major: Visual Communications Minor: Fine Arts + Cognitive Science
• Designed a wide spectrum of four+ color print jobs.• Large-scale campaigns for corporate advertising, marketing, packaging, promotions.• Sales campaigns for Discovery, The Learning Channel and affiliated markets.• Shark week!
• Created several radically experimental Multiple Masters typefaces.• Explored multiple creative axis-definitions.• Tested Nyquist sampling limits within ultra-low resolution environments.• Video Schoolbook font was designed for AI environments.• Developed for Apple's mobile technology.
• Created all client user interface elements.• Directed staff designers, write proposals + all design specs.• Defined user-interface principles, interaction modalities and ontologies.• Clients included Bank of America, Microsoft, Names Project
• Grew and managed three distinct offices (70+ staff) in three distinct markets (LA, SF + SEATAC/ US).• Managed operations before, during, and after corporate rollup and acquisitions.• Delivery Director overseeing all creative deliverables.• Identified, articulated and documented creative vision, strategy and standards.• Clients included IBM, Credit Suisse First Boston, Wetfeet.
As a seasoned Information Architect | Interaction Designer with a strong portfolio, drive, and the skills to help build next-generation digital offerings, I have a passion for building easy-to-use, consumer-friendly and engaging experiences for leading brands.
I have a wealth of experience with consumer-facing and B2B brands, especially those that have built their services and products around consumer electronics, e-commerce, education, entertainment, government, health and beauty, investment, finance and banking, manufacturing, non-profit, pharmaceutical, social networking, transportation, and travel. I am well versed in designing for the web (2.0+ application design, in particular), taking into account advertising, brand strategy, SEO, SEM, usability requirements and aggressive time-lines. I am detail-oriented, organized and have a great process that I use in my own work and in working with teams.I own the process flows, wire frames, and interaction maps as a key member of User Experience teams. I work jointly with Business Owners, Strategists, Project Managers, Visual Designers and Engineers. I help to transform user and business needs into product features and hi-fidelity wire-frames and specs. And, ultimately, into engaging and rewarding user experiences that build upon and reward not only the customer but the brand and its investors as well... of which I include myself. RIDICULOUSLY SATISFIED CLIENTS:• Ameritrade• American Express• Blockbuster Digital• Morgan Stanley• Motorola• Oracle• Samsung• Tourism Western Australia• Trend Micro
• Insured all deliverables were met on-time, on-budget and of the highest quality standards.• Managed the development team from concept development to completion.• UI development and integration reviews.• Monitored QA/DR efforts for every release cycle.• Managed all internal projects and reviews.• Internal curriculum development. • Clients included Sony, Phillips, Gateway, Cisco and updates to the BeIA OS UI.
• Developed from the ground-level, not only an enterprise-class of product offerings, but the team to create it.• Shaped and drove the design vision of user interfaces across multiple products.• Evangelized these efforts among fellow designers and across the company.• Worked effectively with the individual product teams.• Involvement in brand, identity and sales print collateral.• Clients included Sony, Nomura IR, Panasonic, and Toshiba.
• Development and management of interaction resources.• Analysis, design, and specification of the architecture for successful user experiences.• Performed user/ task/ brand analysis.• Developed conceptual models, process flows, navigational maps, and strategies.• Constructed rapid-prototypes, mock-ups, and interaction requirements specifications.• Clients include the BBC and the Urasenke Foundation, among others.
TEACHING EXPERIENCESan Francisco State University• Advanced Web Design• Information Design• Interaction DesignAcademy of Art College • Advanced Photoshop• Digital Imaging Systems• Digital Paint Systems• Graduate Thesis Adviser• Graphic Design• Illustration• Web Design
HIGHLIGHTS• Multimedia Top 100 Winner.• Winner: Best of Digital Hollywood.• Featured in numerous design magazines.• Featured in a multitude of design books.• Designed Oracle Extended Internet interface• Designed worlds first interactive touch-screen in-flight entertainment system.• International speaking engagements.UCD PROCESSES• Competitive Analysis Matrices• Concept Model Development• Content Audits
• Customer Journeys• Functional Specs• Gap Analysis• Global IA, UX, IxD Solutions• IA, UX, IxD Guidelines Development• Information Architectures/ Site Maps• Persona Development• Primary and Secondary User Research (Card Sorts, Nomenclature Testing, Usability Testing)• Site Heuristics Review and Analysis• User Scenarios/ Process Flows• Wire Frames
TOOLS (are not talent)
• Adobe CS5 Premium• Adobe Flex Builder 3• Axure
• JIM Prototyper• Microsoft Office• Microsoft Project• Microsoft Visio• Omnigraffle
• Sharpie / Sketchbook• XHTML5/ CSS/ current web technologies• XP | Vista | 7 | Ubuntu | Android w/ Chrome + Mozilla
RECENT IA WORKShttp://www.x00xie.org/davis_portfolio.pdf(6.28 MB) ORGS• ACM• Info-Arch.Org/• NYCCHI• NYC IxDG• NYC UI• UsabilityInOrgChart
QUOTES“Give him some room to work and he will dazzle you.”“He's a very professional guy but also knows how to let his hair down, so to speak.”“He's a top notch guy and it would be my pleasure to work with him again.” REFERENCESAvailable upon requestTHANK YOU~Jef Davis
usability, user-centered design, interaction design, information architecture, user experience, experience architect, lead, architect, senior, ease-of-use, human factors, analysis, analyst, data, labs, research, field, groups, user interface, interface, UI, IA, IxD, UX, UE, UCD, HCI, CHARM, design, look, feel, quantitative, qualitative, test, observe, analyze, usage, scenarios, sessions, create, research, conduct, benchmark, framework, card sorting, conceptual design, AB testing, multivariate testing, wire-frames, process flows, contextual inquiry, competitive analysis, heuristic analysis, experience audits, gap analysis, content matrix, persona, concept model, computer science, cognitive psychology, anthropology, ethnology, ethnographic research, library science, marketing, customer service, quality assurance, product development, software, web, applications, dashboard, platforms, intranets, extranets, portals, RIA, RIE, gestures, gestural, prototyping, prototype, mobile, hand-held, wearable, interactive, touch, touch screen, artificial intelligence, AI, semantic web, web 2.0, web 3.0, controlled vocabularies, polysemy, synonyms, homographs, information science, semiotic theory, linguistic theory, linguistic, metaphor, symbolic science, signifier, sign theory, user warrant, literary warrant, structural warrant, SEO, SEM, SOA, Service-Oriented Architecture, search, thesauri, terminology, language, localization, internationalization, nomenclature testing, index, indexing, 2", 2', 10', error messaging, functional requirements, user guidelines, training materials, content management systems, Drupal, PHP, B2B, B2C, P2P, IDEAS, Google Analytics, ontology, OWL, taxonomy, meta-data, RDF, RDFS, URI, schema, FOAF, data model, widget model, folksonomies, points, leader-boards, level-ups, social exchanges, customization, findability, OOD, 508 compliance, RFID, GPS, augmented reality, peregrine gloves, 3D-TV, LED, LCD, Plasma, flat panel, eBook, wavelet, Blu-Ray, skiff, Kindle, Nook, iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, wireless, wifi, mobile, hand-held, tablet, CES, consumer electronics, H264, awesomeness
An unusual hybrid of UX + IA + IxDesigner entranced by new technologies and inspired by human-focused development seeking a place to flourish and build impossibly great things.
Like you, I like building stuff that matters. I'm an unusual hybrid of software user-experience designer and information architect entranced by new technology and inspired by human-focused development seeking a place to flourish and build impossibly great things. I am a creative, self-motivated and enthusiastic Experience Architect hoping to join your UX Design Team and play a key role in human-centered design and innovation. I work collaboratively, creatively and flexibly within inter-disciplinary teams, and with our clients, to create high-quality products, services, spaces and interactions that are informed and inspired by people's behavior and experience - physical, cognitive, social, emotional, and cultural. My work involves the whole process from "think-to-build" - gathering insight, exploring and defining design opportunities, helping to define strategy, creating tangible design expressions, and communicating the essence of these ideas. As a seasoned Information Architect / Interaction Designer with a strong portfolio, drive, and the skills to help build next-generation digital-offerings, I have a passion for building easy-to-use, consumer-friendly and engaging experiences for leading media brands. I have plenty of experience with consumer-facing brands, especially those that have built their offerings around mobile e-commerce, banking + finance, pharma, entertainment, and social-media. Please review my CV and portfolio for your consideration.