Resourceful and dynamic technology leader having 15+ years comprehensive experience in all aspects of Information Systems and software development. Detail-oriented manager with excellent written and oral communication skills and a proven ability to facilitate group consensus. Respected coach and mentor motivated to balance a subordinate’s career aspirations with a project’s needs. Naturally cultivates and maintains positive relationships across an organization. Consistently tapped to manage complex, cross-functional technology initiatives and turn around projects. Tenacious, results-driven problem solver known for “making things happen!” Pioneering architect willing to challenge the status quo to provide innovative, practical, and profitable solutions to my clients’ challenges.
Sep 2008 - Present
Responsible for setting the technical direction for the Dell Services (Dell) Application Development and Maintenance (ADM) and Infrastructure (IS) organizations that support the Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI (BCBSRI) account engagement. As the primary technical advisor to BCBSRI's IT Leadership team, I bridge the gap between BCBSRI's business strategy and the existing state of BCBSRI's 30-year-old technology. I build the roadmaps to align people, processes, and systems to enable Dell to implement and support emerging enterprise technologies having transformational impact to BCBSRI's bottom-line.
Notable Accomplishments (partial listing)
- Identified deficiencies in various Dell managers on the BCBSRI account, which prompted the creation of an upward feedback system linked to semi-annual performance appraisals, coupled with a mandatory Leadership Workshop for all managers in Dell Services.
- Developed an 18-month and 36-month strategic plan for BCBSRI's IT Leadership team, as well as, established the IT Steering Committee.
- Coordinated a comprehensive audit of the Dell-BCBSRI contract to verify the accuracy of the contract's 270 supported applications in order to project employee support resources.
- Led Dell IT and BCBSRI IT efforts to remediate security audit failures across BCBSRI's enterprise. Audited BCBSRI's IT security standards and implemented a comprehensive awareness campaign and annual compliance program. Coordinated the Identity Management (IdM) architectural design for the implementation efforts of Courion's Enterprise Provisioning Suite.
- Responsible for the transition of application support ownership of BCBSRI's legacy system replacement project (BlueTransIT) and new Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), from 3rd-parties to Dell Services ADM. Coordinated resources' effort from various program and project workstreams to stand-up all environments and processes needed for the SDLC of the enterprise rearchitecture effort.
- Architected Performance Testing strategy, staffing, and environment requirements for comprehensive performance testing competency Center of Excellence leveraging HP LoadRunner for load generation and dynaTrace PurePath for root cause analysis of ESB SOA real-time, high-volume web services. Identified several performance bottlenecks for remediation that improved the average response times from ~12 seconds to ~1.5 seconds, as well as, ensured the web services would be able to scale with increased volume and spike scenarios.
- Implemented Dell-BCSRI existing 3rd-Party application turnover agreements and drafted new agreement to incorporate extensive knowledge transfer, licensing details, SLA impact audit of existing contractually supported applications, and a staggered support model.
- Completed comprehensive server/host data gathering effort for remediation of OS and application versions within N-1. Leveraged data to create the first diagram of the entire enterprise environment.
- Partnered with numerous teams to architect BCBSRI's Data Center move to BCBSRI's newly constructed skyscraper in Providence, RI.
[Technologies and tools: Microsoft - SharePoint, SQL Server, Visual C#.Net, Project, ASP.Net, XML/XSLT, Visual Basic, Visual SourceSafe, Live Meeting; IBM – AIX, MQSeries, WebSphere Application Developer, DB2 UDB & IMS, IMS COBOL, Lotus Notes; BMC – Remedy, Atrium CMDB; Ascential - DataStage; Casewise – Corporate Modeler Suite; Sun – JCAPS, GlassFish Prelude, Enterprise Service Bus; PegaSystems; NetBeans - IDE; PowerBuilder; CA – Harvest; McKesson – CCMS, DM; VMware – Workstation, GSX, ESX; Netezza; Courion – Enterprise Provisioning Suite; JUnit; dynaTrace; SolarWinds – Orion NetFlow; HP – Quality Center, Quick Test Pro, LoadRunner; Selenium; Oracle – 8i, 9i, 10g; Interwoven – WorkSite MP; PlanView – Enterprise]
Aug 2004 - Sep 2008
Manager of Technology Consulting
Fostered and maintained client relationships through partnerships with senior-level executives of diverse organizations within a variety of industries ranging from $15M to $500M. Creatively architected and implemented appropriate, cost-effective, technology solutions that strategically supported clients’ business process challenges and positively impacted clients’ P&L. Managed engagement economics, billing, A/R, resources, and project lifecycle to successfully implement and/or support technology solutions within estimated budget and schedule while ensuring positive engagement profitability. Maintained business development pipeline through marketing, webinars, speaking engagements, and increased client retention.
Professional services engagements include project/portfolio management, systems analysis and design, software development, CRM deployments, ERP and CRM integrations, business process reengineering, workflow, business intelligence, portals and dashboards, IS assessments, strategic IS planning, software configuration management, IS audit, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, hardware virtualization and consolidation, thin-client implementation, legacy support, and IT outsourcing.
- Comprehensive Outsourced IT - Architect and Project ManagerChallenge: Insurance Agency and Managing General Agent (MGA), split organization into two separate corporate entities. Both entities required complete Information Systems support for more than 30 proprietary business applications and more than 300 employees in several locations.Engagement: Designed an architecture consisting of HP thin-client devices that communicated with collocated server infrastructure and virtualized legacy application servers. Partnered with each business and department leader to consolidate and streamline business application portfolio. Led quarterly IS Steering Committee meetings with both organizations' business leaders and company owners. Drafted IS budgets for leadership approval. Recruited IT talent for onsite IT support needs.Result: Improved both organizations’ business application uptime from 87% to greater than 99%. Proprietary, legacy applications, that once took longer than an hour to complete processing, ran in average of less than 30 seconds after being virtualized and running on more powerful server hardware. IT budgets aligned with business leaders’ objectives.[Technologies and tools: Windows Server 2003, Group Policy, Active Directory, Microsoft Terminal Server, Windows XP Embedded, TameDOS (16-bit emulation), Oracle 8i, Sybase PowerBuilder, MicroFocus COBOL, CGI Sagitta and Sagitta Online, Raining Data Pick D3, CGI InsuranceWriter, JW Software FileHandler, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and Project Server, Microsoft SQL Server, Numara TrackIt!, Citrix Presentation Manager, VMware ESX, VBScript shell scripting, IBM AS/400 OS/400, IBM RS/6000 AIX]
- Real-time Integration of CRM and ERP Systems - Engagement Manager and ArchitectChallenge: High-tech organization needed seamless integration of sales system to back-office accounting system, as well as, integrate several companies having multiple currencies.Engagement: Facilitated JAD workshop and interviews to identify specific data to be synchronized. Reviewed impact of the gaps of the selected integration server solution with business leaders to prioritize engagement scope. Managed implementation team’s efforts to deliver phased integration based upon Scribe Software’s integration server and solution templates. Escalated multi-currency issues within Scribe Software Consulting organization. Personally customized Scribe Software’s AJAX-based Apex component for Salesforce to pull appropriate Salesforce data into secure SOAP message that is sent to a queue that the Scribe integration server processes.Result: Real-time integration eliminated paper-based, manual data entry and minimized data-entry errors by more than 20%.[Technologies and tools: Caliber RM(requirements management), Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and Project Server, Salesforce.com, Microsoft Message Queue, Microsoft Dynamics GP, Microsoft SQL Server, Scribe Insight Server and Workbench, Scribe Software-developed Apex s-control for Salesforce, Microsoft eConnect, and web services]
- Workflow and Portal - Engagement Manager and Solution ArchitectChallenge: Multi-country high-tech organization required collaborative portal website for internal employees and external partners, as well as, a platform to streamline business processes. The selected process to be piloted was time-off requests.Engagement: Deployed Sharepoint and designed/developed custom ASP.Net forms for new requests and approvals, custom content types to store the request content data, and the custom C#.Net Sharepoint workflow. Created algorithm to dynamically retrieve the user’s manager from Active Directory for routing email messages. Immediately raised delays due to Kerberos security issues to firm partners and client leaders for remediation and additional change orders. Added “flight recorder” logging of workflow status to the server event log and to the workflow history log. Migrated various sources of content and data into the new Sharepoint portal. Modeled and hardened site security, including applying library and item-level security, throughout portal websites and departments, as well as, partner Extranet. Configured portal's "search" support for searching unstructured website content and various document types.Result: Streamlined time-off requests into an easy-to-use web application that the Finance department could reconcile annually. Sharepoint solution provided platform for future expansion of any additional business processes, including HR onboarding, which was next engagement with client.[Technologies and tools: Caliber RM(requirements management), Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and Project Server, Microsoft Sharepoint Office Server, Microsoft Visual Studio, SourceGear Vault, Fog Creek Software FogBugz, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Sharepoint Workflow, Microsoft Windows Workflow Foundation, Microsoft Sharepoint custom Content Types, iFilters, ASP.Net, C#.Net, XML/XSLT, ADSI (Active Directory lookups), CAML (Collaborative Application Markup Language queries of Sharepoint objects), VMware ESX, and VMware Lab Manager]
Jul 2000 - Aug 2004
Senior Manager of Advanced Technology
Responsible for the strategic execution and development of the Staples.com eCommerce applications and real-time integration with the North American Delivery Information Systems. Budgetary responsibility for direct associates of $2M and indirect project and capital assets of $35M. Communicated status of project portfolio to executive committee and project stakeholders. Fostered the development of a sizeable, world-class software engineering team capable of executing the project portfolio. Managed the migration from legacy Microsoft technology platform to an enterprise-class, IBM WebSphere J2EE technology platform that aligned with the Staples IS enterprise strategy. [Technologies and tools: Microsoft - SharePoint Services, Site Server Commerce Edition, SQL Server, Visual C#.Net, COM/DCOM/COM+/MTS, Project, ASP, XML/XSLT, Visual Basic, Visual SourceSafe; SourceGear – Source OffSite; IBM – MQSeries, WebSphere Commerce, WebSphere Application Developer, DB2 UDB & 400, Rational XDE; Cast Software - Application Intelligence; Sun – N1 (formerly CenterRun); G7X – Build Manager 2000; VMware - Workstation; eGain – LiveWeb Chat; Apache/Jakarta – Cactus, ANT, STRUTS; JUnit; ClearCommerce – Settlement; Segue – SilkTest, SilkPerformer; Oracle – 8i, 9i, CoreMetrics – Online Analytics; InstallShield – InstallShield Professional; PlanView – Enterprise; Yantra - Retail Logistics and Warehouse Management]
Awarded 2003 TeamCARE Award, 2002 Staples Customer Award, 2002 Staples Easy Award, 2001 Staples Partnership Award, and 2001 and 2002 North American Delivery IS Silver Horseshoe Awards.
Mar 2000 - Jul 2000
Consolidated outsourced production website source for in-house software development. Built documented development, QA, and production environments enabling a solid foundation for all website development initiatives. Migrated production web site ISP co-location for better stability, performance, and cost-savings. Implemented C2 compliant security. Partnered with Chief Technology Officer and founder to develop website’s strategic technical direction. Mentored founders and development team to instill SDLC best practices.
Jul 1999 - Jun 2000
May 1998 - Jul 1999
Senior Software Engineer
Designed and built various automation utilities to support EMC Engineering operations. Architected and implemented nightly batch processes that consolidated and cleansed disparate data sources to improve statistics of EMC Engineering Server Resources Call Center. Developed solution to improve tracking and reporting of Symmetrix product inventory that moved through the Engineering testing. Mentored teammates on software development methodologies and programming technologies.[Technologies and tools: Microsoft - SQL Server, COM/DCOM/COM/MTS, Project, ASP, Visual C++, MFC, Visual Basic, Macro Assembler, Visual SourceSafe; Sun/JavaSoft – Java; Oracle - 8i; EMC2 – SRDF/TimeFinder, InfoMover, PowerPath, EDM, SRM]
Sep 1993 - May 1998
Information Systems Manager
Built, designed, and managed “leading-edge” technical operations infrastructure with limited financial capital. Integrated LAN and WAN to provide seamless GIS map-based coverages for organization resources. Supervised and mentored direct and indirect resources that provided technical operations management and application development support.[Technologies and tools: Microsoft – Exchange Server, SQL Server, COM/DCOM/COM/MTS, Project, Access, Visual Basic & VBA, Visual SourceSafe; OMTool – Fax Server, Cheyenne ArcServe, ESRI – ArcGIS; MapInfo; Sun – Solaris, xWindows, PCNFS; Hummingbird - eXceed; Adobe - PhotoShop, Illustrator, PageMaker; Novell – Netware; ER/Win – VBA Edition]
Mar 1992 - Aug 1993
Computer Operator (part time)
Operated IBM AS/400 E70, AS/400 E45, and System 38 series of mid-range computers. Submitted nightly generation of hospital reports and performed nightly/weekly backup. Provided initial RPG II & III and COBOL troubleshooting of nightly batch errors.
Feb 1992 - May 1993
Computing Center Supervisor
Supervised and trained student employees and developed a Pascal based system to monitor student employee hours. Provided technical support for campus-wide NetWare networks and computer center facility, as well as, provided nightly computer operator support for Data General MV series minicomputer and DECsystem servers. Implemented Pathworks on faculty client computers for DEC and NetWare co-existence. Upgraded, traced, and documented wire room consisting of Token Ring and Ethernet cabling topologies with the use of TDR equipment.