Experienced technology professional seeking leadership opportunity with an early or growth stage technology firm. Extensive background building new products from design to deployment across multiple industries. Specific experience in developing secure, scalable solutions for high volume transactional systems in the financial services arena, including loan origination automation, financial accounting suites, cloud based banking solutions, and electronic financial transaction processing. Direct management experience includes managing both large distributed development organizations as well as small development teams, establishing high availability and real-time fail-over networking infrastructure across multiple data center locations, managing data processing and DBA support for thousands of transactions daily, and defining and implementing controls to ensure SSAE16 audit and PCI compliance.
Apr 2010 - Present
EVP, Research & Development
Responsible for establishing the company’s technical vision and leading all technology development for industry leading cloud based financial accounting, business intelligence, time and attendance, and financial services products. Manage the day to day operations of software development, network operations (hosting), quality assurance, project management office, and DBA departments. Plan for future hardware needs and manage hardware and supporting infrastructure acquisitions to support SANS based deployment architecture across multiple data center locations. Ensure appropriate asset and licensing tracking processes are in place to maintain compliance with development platform vendor audits. Define necessary controls and ensure compliance to achieve clean SSAE16 audit reports. Work with executive team to establish a technology road map, and then lead execution of the technology strategy to produce high quality software applications. Manage IT team to successfully insure that IT is always focused on the highest priority projects with the ability to quickly adapt to changing business, customer and economic conditions. Create, maintain and test a comprehensive business continuity and disaster recovery plan. Direct the establishment of an appropriate security profile and the implementation of best practice security approaches to minimize risk of systems breaches.
Participates as member of the Executive Team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the company’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, office networks and computers, and telecommunications. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices, and transfers such knowledge to the organization.
Jan 2005 - Oct 2009
COO / CTO
Mr. Dean was brought into Cyence International’s executive team to drive the company’s sales, product delivery, and overall operations to greater efficiency and profitability and to help position the company for an eventual exit event. Specific objectives included improving the company’s sales and marketing capabilities, enhancing product development, improving reliability and performance of software hosting operations, maintaining and improving customer references, and improving overall customer satisfaction. Assumed responsibility for all operations, overall operational P&L, and responsibility for the resourcing, development and support of all products; managed direct sales responses to RFI, RFP's,; directed sales activities from lead generation through contract review and closing; managed key SI partner relationships with Deloitte Consulting, Cap Gemini, and Microsoft.
Identified and managed key relationships with near-shore and off-shore technology providers; utilized off-shore resources to successfully deliver large client development and implementation projects. Responsible for SAS70 audit certification, security audits for redundant datacenter operations, achievement of desired CMM Level certification, required Microsoft Partner certification. Serves as executive sponsor for key client customers; leads formal response to RFI’s, RFP’s, responsible for annual customer conference; serves as a key member of client advisory board. Mr. Dean was also appointed to serve as the company’s Chief Security Officer in 2007.
Cyence International was acquired in December 2008 by Filogix (subsidiary of Davis and Henderson), and Mr. Dean assumed control of all product operations and support services upon the integration of the two companies. Recent accomplishments:
- Led company to 5th straight year of increased sales revenues, improved margins, higher profitability ratios;
- Directed current product development operations to the highest possible industry certification level;
- Led global hosting operations to third consecutive year of 100% systems availability;
- Directed re-design and deployment of hosting architecture within distributed data centers resulting in 1+ million dollars in hardware cost and technical resource savings;
- Directed company’s compliance with required SAS/70 audit; no major control defects reported;
- Maintained 100% client reference-ability for the 5th consecutive year;
- Implemented new internal timekeeping and management reporting software allowing greater measurement of employee utilization, enhanced resource forecasts, and much stronger control of cost overhead;
- Re-structured the Application Support Call Center and Technical Support to provide greater efficiency and improved resolution of client issues resulting in a 20% reduction in escalated problem tickets and stabilization of staffing requirements;
- Key involvement in negotiations for recent acquisition of company by current parent firm;
- Selected as executive over all product operations of combined companies since acquisition.
Dec 2003 - Nov 2004
COO & EVP of Research and Development
Mr. Dean joined Capital Stream in the midst of a turnaround effort and search for additional funding to sustain future operations; Mr. Dean agreed to a one year commitment, with permanence option and equity grant, to serve as Executive Vice President of Software Operations and COO for the financial services software provider. Primary goals were to improve ability to deliver new product releases on-time / on-budget, improve the overall quality of the flagship software product, and improve the company’s ability to successfully and profitably implement its software solutions. Significant achievements included:
- On-time, on-budget releases of 2 major versions of the company’s main product platform within 1 year;
- Directed development of implementation tools, utilization of industry standard architecture and components; revised implementation methodology and processes; resulted in 3 month reduction in implementation timeline;
- Re-aligned services and product development to facilitate more efficient operations; reduced operating costs by 30% over previous year;
- Implemented company-wide quality focus targeted at improving customer satisfaction and confidence; each production customer was reference-able by year’s end.
The company achieved the targeted operational goals, executive management remained very strong and committed, and the company’s performance was much improved in all areas over the term of Mr. Dean’s tenure; however, the financial stability and long term viability of the company remained a significant concern. The company’s Board of Director’s elected to pursue an exit strategy, and the company was eventually acquired by and merged into another larger entity.
Dec 1997 - Dec 2003
CEO & Chief Technology Officer
Signature Technology Solutions (STS) was founded in 1997 by Mr. Dean as a trusted provider of custom integration services and middle-ware to clients of S1 Corporation’s retail banking software suite. The company specialized in developing seamless integration interfaces between S1’s online financial products and the client’s legacy processing systems.Mr. Dean served as the company’s CEO and primary sales executive and assumed responsibility for origination of sales leads, sales proposals, solution designs, and negotiation of terms and contracts.The company delivered its services via internal development resources as well as through services provided by off-shore providers based in Ireland and India.The company eventually developed its own secure integration management platform, which could be used to transmit very large transactions and files via the Internet through a company proprietary security function.The IP and rights to use and modify that platform were sold to one of the company’s largest customer in 2003. Achievements include:
- Founded company, established operating environment and financial relationships, selected integration partner for S1 Corporation;
- Profitable operations within first year; gross revenues of 10MM at exit;
- Developed proprietary integration management platform, including secure file transport capability for very large files transmitted via Internet;
- Company’s main product offering built to DOD “Orange Book” security specifications;
- Clients included: State of Georgia Department of Revenue, S1 Corporation, Vantive, PeopleSoft, SkillSoft, UPS, Countrywide, Effinity Bank, Monument Financial Services, Treev, Wachovia, Bank of America, DuPont Dow, Checkfree, Perkin Elmer, SkillSoft Corporation, Taylor Bean Whitaker, Colliers Arnold, Mathias Die, GiveaShare, Naugatuck
Dec 1996 - Dec 1997
Executive Vice President
In late 1995, S1 (then Security First Technologies) was in a race to become the first solely Internet-based banking provider, but delays stretching back almost 2 years were causing great concern among the company’s investors and placing the company’s IPO success in jeopardy. Mr. Dean was hired to ensure that the company’s flagship software offering, (Virtual Banking Manager) was delivered with the highest quality and reliability within the coming year. Mr. Dean served as a key member of the senior executive team, managed a 50MM+ development budget, directed operations of a very large, distributed software development operation (1200+) with technical staff and supporting operations distributed across US, Ireland, Spain, and Pakistan.
Specific challenges were to utilize both on-shore and near-shore development teams dispersed across multiple continents to deliver the VBM software offering on-time, on-budget and with the highest quality, and to build out a supporting operation to ensure that clients could effectively implement, configure, and customize the software to meet their business needs. Please consider the following specific achievements:
- Implemented “program office” concepts to manage multiple related projects of immense complexity;
- Recruited and hired a strong management team to provide needed management and structure;
- Refined the development and implementation methodologies; utilized Rational tools to manage project requirements, development processes, and product quality validation;
- Established enhanced status reporting and tracking; implemented a project dashboard for executive review;
- Directed risk management and planning strategy, reducing missed milestones by approx. 90%;
- Established a culture of commitment and service; constantly emphasized effective communication and conflict resolution.
- Served as evangelist for adoption of new java specification for application development;
- Delivered flagship product suite on-time, under budget.
Feb 1993 - Dec 1996
Executive Vice President
Brock Control Systems created the first sales force automation solution, and eventually expanded that functionality into a full featured CRM solution - the first of its kind. Responsibilities included leading the design and development of the first Windows based version of the product, and subsequently, the first Internet based version of the product suite. Directed consulting sales and services operations, which was the most profitable operational division of the company. Operational departments included Technical Sales Support, Consulting & Services, Software Development, Architecture, Support and Maintenance, Documentation and Training, and Quality Assurance.
- Directed company’s two largest flagship projects in SCM / CRM space: Owens Corning, 1992; Pennzoil, 1993.
- Responsible for identifying, implementing or developing process improvements enabling client companies to improve customer service and supply chain operations using ERP systems and proprietary software (PeopleSoft, SAP, TakeControl).
- Directed design and development of leading Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Sales Process & Fulfillment (SCM), and Call Center application software.
- Created a strong new product offering by improving the usability of the main product suite, expanding the product functionality, devising new implementation strategies, cultivating alliances, and launching Internet innovations.
- Directed consulting and service operations (PSO); highest margins and net profit among all divisions.
- Reduced customer support calls related to current product issues by over 70%.
- Successfully implemented custom supply chain, customer management, distribution, and integrated marketing call center solutions for Fortune 100 accounts, including: Owens Corning, Digital Equipment Corporation, Bell Atlantic, and Pennzoil.
Nov 1988 - Feb 1993
- Responsible for full life cycle development of LatticeWork v.3.1 integrated customer management, inventory, sales, finance, insurance software package.
- Established highly profitable consulting and services staff.
- Directed product maintenance and enhancement for client-server based customer management, finance, and insurance software package.
- Established new management structure.
- Managed implementation and consultation projects for large retail marine, airplane, and automobile dealerships.
Aug 1986 - Nov 1988
- Completed EDS’ Systems Engineer certification;
- Designed and developed system interfaces for Allen Bradley programmable controllers utilized on an engine assembly line;
- Led design and development of a fully automated engine assembly process as a proof of concept utilizing AB controllers and fixed bar code scanners with automatic interfaces to inventory systems;
- Reduced required human intervention on engine assembly segment from 28 to 6 people;
- Selected to provide project oversight for $100 million JIT manufacturing automation project at General Motors assembly plant
Mar 2009 - Jun 2010
University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
1982 - 1986
University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
Management Information Systems & Computer Science