- Enthusiastic Learner
- Open to constructive criticism
- Lateral thinker
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: (+27 84 748 3829)
My online portfolio: http://vanessaberger.webs.com
- 1 year of international experience in a London based design studio (2008) and currently a designer for String Communication in Cape Town (May 2009 to present).
- Actively involved in extra-curricular activities while attending Rhodes University with experience in university conferences, and freelance work.
- Solid design software knowledge: Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver
- I am a keen learner and enthusiastic designer: lover of all things visually creative.
- Please visit my portfolio website: http://vanessaberger.webs.com
- Keeping up with latest design trends and ideas as well as being inspired by things that surround me in my daily life in Cape Town.
- I am an active person who enjoys hiking and travelling (I recently spent 2 months travelling around Thailand and Vietnam).
- Cooking and Wine tasting
- Gordon Latimer (Director at The Latitude Idea Factory)
Recommendation from my linked in profile:http://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessaberger
“Vanessa formed part of our initial team here at Latitude Graphic Design as we grew from a small studio to a
larger studio incorporating web and print services. Vanessa worked hard and was proactive and took initiative in developing her own skills as well as the service offering of Latitude as a business. Vanessa was a real asset to our business and I would definitely recommend her to any other business as a competent, hard-working graphic designer.” May 5, 2009
- Brian Garman (Lecturer at Rhodes University's Journalism School)
Brian Garman was my lecturer for design in my 4th yr (2007) at Rhodes. He has also worked with me on various freelance projects for the university including Rhodos (an internal newsletter mag I helped design), Cue Newspaper (the national arts festival daily newspaper in Grahamstown) and at Highway Africa (a media conference hosted by Rhodes University).
May 2009 - Present
I form part of a small design team responsible for a diverse number of projects which range from
designing marketing material and reports for local government and public sector clients to designing
String's two subscription based magazines. This role involves adhering to strict deadlines, liaising
with writers and photographers, thinking creatively and proactively, as well as dealing with
Mar 2008 - Nov 2008
Junior Graphic Designer
Working as a junior graphic designer in London, I was involved in conceptualising and designing a
range of marketing materials ranging from brochures, posters, corporate stationary to websites. I
was also responsible for conducting research that would be helpful to fellow colleagues.
2004 - 2008
Bachelor Of Journalism (specialising in design)
A four year degree (majoring in Journalism and Anthropology in my 3rd yr, completing my
Journalism degree in the 4th).
Many people wonder why I chose a career as a designer, as opposed to a journalist after studying
journalism. As part of the Journalism course, the department allows students to specialize in the
profession in the 3rd and 4th years. My chosen specialisation was communication design. This
course involved intensive teaching in adobe programmes (Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop) by a design lecturer in the department. We are given many practical projects as well as lectures on the
theory of design. The course focuses on communicating effectively through design.