Senior Manager, Regional Treasury
Mapletree Investments Pte. Ltd. ("Mapletree or Group")
Currently managing 2 portfolios - Public Listed REIT ("REIT") and Private Equity Fund ("PE Fund")
- Highly involved in the IPO of Singapore’s biggest REIT in 2013 - S$4.2 billion Mapletree Greater China Commercial Trust and the successful closing of the largest ever China-focused real estate private equity fund - US$1.4 billion Mapletree China Opportunity Fund II in 2013.
- Conducted due diligence on the REIT's S$400mil acquisition of Sandhill Plaza (Beijing) in June 2015 and was responsible for the entire transaction flow mechanism for the offshore acquisition.
Financing via Banks and Debt Capital Markets
- Initiated and raised S$1.35 billion of bank debt and bonds to refinance existing loans, finance acquisitions and working capital. Loan book was more than 2.5x oversubscribed.
- Improved debt maturity profile and achieved reductions in loan margins by 10 to 15% for new bank debts, lowering total interest cost in both portfolios.
- Successfully negotiated 25 loan and ISDAs documents.
- Constantly surpassed timelines for completion, reducing legal fees for the company.
- Established a close and wide network of banks and legal firms in Asia.
Interest Rate and Foreign Exchange ("FX") Hedging Strategies
- Monitored interest and FX rates on a daily basis and analyzed macroeconomic trends to recommend hedging strategies to the Group Treasurer and REIT CFO.
- Worked closely with REIT CFO to enhanced fixed-debt profile of the REIT from 71-80%, to minimize interest rate risks and cost for the REIT.
- Advised REIT CFO on FX hedges to manage currency risks due to foreign income from REIT assets.
- Consistently outperformed REIT CFO’s targets by executing interest rate swaps and foreign currency hedges at better than stipulated rates, achieved through sound fundamental and technical analysis.
- Single-handedly manage the treasury operations of REIT and PE Fund including loan administrations, cash and liquidity management.
- Refined treasury framework to improve operational efficiency and turnaround time for deliverables.
- Collaborated with finance teams to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Work closely with portfolio management, investments, tax and finance teams for funding requirements of the 2 portfolios.
Reporting and Financial Modeling
- Prepared and delivered presentations to C-Suite on a monthly basis to report treasury positions and recommend funding and hedging strategies for the REIT and PE Fund.
- Redesigned existing financial models to budget and forecast the Group’s treasury requirements such as funding, interest expense, currency exposures and cash positions.
- Enhanced financial model resulted in ease of assessing large data from several angles to yield meaningful data analysis.
- Model was used to forecast the Group’s annual, 3-year and 5-year funding requirements from 2013 to 2015.