Worked as a lab menager in cotton functional genomics core facility which provides microarray processing and data analysis services to the Texas Tech University and health science centre. During my stay in this lab I worked on following two different projects with the common goal of improvement of cotton fiber quality and yield through genetic engineering.
1. Development of high throughput method for screening of a wide variety of cultivars of cotton on the basis of resistance to verticillium wilt, a disease caused by Verticillium dahliae and to investigate the molecular mechanism involved in resistance.
2. Investigation of suberin biosynthetic pathway in green fiber mutant of cotton to better understand the mechanism of suberin biosynthesis and using microarrays studies associate the novel genes to this pathway. This research is not only helpful in understanding basic science behind suberine biosyntesis but has advanced applications in Cotton fiber quality improvement.
Worked on heterologous CGH microarray to investigate the homology between Gossypium arboreum and model organisms of Arabidopsis thaliana and Oryza sativa genomes. Developed a method for labeling the genomic DNA using T7 RNA plymerase and used custom oligo microarray platforms and optimized hybridization, scanning, and data analysis for above study. This study culminated in the functional characterization of Gossypium arboreum genome.
Identification and characterization of drought tolerant genes in cotton by gene homology (Degree notification Sep 2010)
Won Medal in M.Sc by achieving first position in the Faculty of sciences with the CGPA- 4:00
Gossypium arboreum (cotton) cDNA libraries were constructed and sequenced. 1411 novel Expressed Sequence Tags (ESTs) were identified and deposited to the NCBI genbank. The IDs of these ESTs range from cembMI0001-cembMI1401 and cembu01-cembu11.
1. International Cotton genome Initiative (ICGI) society since January 2009.
2. Editorial board of Pure and Applied Biology (PAB) journal.
Uzma Qaisar, Terry Wheeler and Thea A. Wilkins. 2009. Approach to Identify Sources of Verticillium-resistance in Cotton. Beltwide cotton conference 2009. San antonio, TX.
Thea Wilkins, Ingrid E. Lindquist. Uzma Qaisar, Arvind K. Bharti, Terry Wheeler, Gregory D. May and Joann Mudge. 2010. Early Molecular Events in Conferring Resistance to Verticillium Wilt Disease in Pima Cotton Revealed by Next-Generation Sequencing. Beltwide cotton conference.
Thea A Wilkins , Ingrid E Lindquist , Uzma Qaisar , Arvind K Bharti , Terry Wheeler , Gregory D May and Joann Mudge. 2010. Early Molecular Events In Resistance To Verticillium Wilt Disease Revealed By Solexa Transcriptomics In Pima Cotton. Plant & Animal Genomes XVIII Conference. San Diego, CA.January 9-13, 2010
1. Advance bioinformatics training held by Agilent. 2009 in Houston, TX
2. International Microarray Workshop 2008, Tucson, Arizona
3. Training on methods ofteaching of science in class room environment. Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad, Pakistan.
4. Data entry and basic computer skills Training, University of COMSATS, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt of Pakistan.
1. Qaisar,U., Majeed,A., Husnain,T. and Riazuddin,S. 2008. Gossypium arboreum plastid fructose 1,6 bisphosphate aldolase (Aldp) gene, complete cds; nuclear gene for plastid product. gi|166203460|gb|EU107768.1|
2. Qaisar,U., Majeed,A., Husnain,T. and Riazuddin,S. 2007. Gossypium arboreum plastid fructose 1,6 bisphosphate aldolase class 1 (ALDP) mRNA, complete cds; nuclear gene for plastid product. gi|126571483|gb|EF105116.1|
1. Uzma Qaisar, Shu Wang, Xiangling Yin, Paula Grammas. 2012. Gene Expression Profiling in Microvessels Isolated from Human Alzheimer’s disease Brains. JAD. 31(1):193-205 Impact Factor 3.745
2. Uzma Qaisar. 2012. Drought Tolerance. Lambert Academic Publishing AG & Co. KG. ISBN-13: 9783848404636 (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/drought-tolerance-uzma-qaisar/1108828331?ean=9783848404636)
3. Uzma Qaisar, Liming Luo and Abdul Hamood. 2012. Regulation of cup fimbriae by pvc operon in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Submitted to Molecular Microbiology journal. Impact factor 5.01
4. Uzma Qaisar, Muhammad Irfan, Asma Meqbool, Muzna Zahoor, Muhammad Younas Khan, Bushra Rashid, Sheikh Riazuddin, and Tayyab Husnain. 2010. Identification, sequencing and characterization of a stress induced homologue of fructose bisphosphate aldolase from cotton. Can. J Plant Sci. 90 (1), 41-48. Impact factor 0.613
5. Roger A. Barthelson. Uzma Qaisar and David W. Galbraith. 2009. Functional Analysis of the Gossypium arboreum Genome. Plant Mol Biol Rep. DOI 10.1007/s11105-009-0157-5 Impact factor 2.453
6. Muzna Zahur, Asma Maqbool, Muhammad Irfan, Muhammad Younas Khan Barozai, Uzma Qaisar, Bushra Rashid, Tayyab Husnain and Shiekh Riazuddin. 2009. Functional analysis of cotton small heat shock protein promoter region in response to abiotic stresses in tobacco using Agrobacterium-mediated transient assay. Mol Biol Rep 36:1915–1921. Impact factor 2.929
7. Muhammad Younas Khan Barozai, Muhammad Irfan, Rizwan Yousaf, Imran Ali , Uzma Qaisar, Asma Maqbool, Muzna Zahoor, Bushra Rashid, Tayyab Hussnain and Sheikh Riazuddin. 2008. Identification of micro-RNAs in cotton. Plant Physi and Biochem. 46:739-751 Impact factor 3.023
8. Asma Maqbool, Muzna Zahur, Muhammad Irfan, Uzma Qaisar, Bushra Rashid, Tayyab Husnain and Shiekh Riazuddin. 2007. Identification,Characterization and Expression of Drought Related alpha-Crystalline Heat Shock Protein Gene (GHSP26)from Desi Cotton. Crop Sci 47:2437-2444. Impact factor 1.641
1. Molecular Biology Reports
2. African Journal of Biotechnology
3. Pure and applied biology journalhttps