MicroSoft Office Suite
Adobe Creative Suite
2010 - Present
2009 - 2011
The Lightswitch Lama
MRG (My Restaurant Guru) is a website that connects you to local restaurants in your quest for great food and great values. View the largest database of menus, reviews and individual dish ratings of every restaurant in triangle. Earn karma points when you use the site to receive free food, cool swag and invitations to private events.
Developed user advancement structure
Applied gamification to site to further user engagement
Assisted in website development
Hosted tasting events for up to 40 people
Established personality as a local "food guru"
Tripled user base in 3 months
Beta tested user experience and helped to solve bugs
Targeted local bloggers and celebrities to endorse MRG giving us traction early on
2007 - 2009
Ullyses took a 2 year sabbatical to travel Africa and Asia. With nothing more than a backpack and just enough money for border crossings/bribes/emergencies he hiked from Cape Town, South Africa to Tanzania, then flew to India and explored Asia.
- Trained with Rangers at Madikwe Game Reserve
- Helped build a playground for children in Nkata Bay, Malawi.
- Taught a fishing village how to use pulley systems to lift their boats out of the water.
- Built a self sustained catamaran from local materials as a home.
- Sailed on an Al-Shabaab transport ship to Zanzibar
- Climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro
- Swam with Sharks and penguins
- Survived Malaria
- Met with HH Dalai Lama and HH Karmapa
- Lived as a Buddhist Monk
- Studied Meditation with Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
- Hiked throughout Himalayas
- Angered China trying to sneak into Tibet
2007 - 2007
Bar Manager / Promoter
Kai Yue Entertainment is a Chinese Karaoke Club located on Long Street, the party hub of Cape Town.
- Responsible for running all aspects of the bar focusing on cleanliness, proper stocking, set-up, inventory procedures and exceptional customer service.
- Implemented systems for staffing, scheduling, inventory, and training.
- Implemented inventory procedures that allowed us to cut costs and drastically cut back on internal theft.
- Designed and successfully executed marketing strategy making Kai Yue one of the top spots
- Hosted private party events
2007 - 2007
Assistant General Manager
The Village Lodge Portfolio in an innovative and stylish Cape Town Accommodation portfolio comprises of The Village Lodge (a 15 bedroom boutique hotel); De Waterkant Villa accommodation (a luxury 5 bedroom retreat) and a number of fully serviced De Waterkant Townhouse suites and cottages, that can be occupied as self catering or guest house units, 3 restaurants, 2 pools, 4 bars and designer home-style shop.
- Assisted in development of bar and restaurant layout, menu, specials,staffing, policies, and procedures manual for new "Salsa" Bar and Restaurant
- Assume authority for the hotel in the absence of the General Manager and serve as Assistant General Manager for all operations within the hotel.
- Recruit and monitor relevant staff for their specific operations.
- Plan work schedules as per requirement.
- Meet as well as greet customers.
- Deal with customer queries and complaints.
- Address customer problems as well as troubleshoot.
- Ensure events and conferences run without interruption.
- Supervise the supplies and furnishings.
- Deal with the contractors and suppliers.
- Managed the daily operations of the Hotel including Conference Management, Rooms, Housekeeping, Leadership & Training, Reservations, Retail, Engineering, Spa, as well as other functions as assigned.
2003 - 2007
C.O.O. / VP of International Philanthropy
TheraSim is a virtual patient simulator platform used for the assessment, training, and education of healthcare workers. The interactive and engaging simulations enhance current training methods and bring the experience closer to what healthcare workers actually do – treat patients. TheraSim is rapidly emerging as the premier virtual clinical simulation-training platform for the Web. Through the power of simulation training, TheraSim enables healthcare professionals to more rapidly assimilate new medical information and make more effective clinical decisions.
- Manages and coordinates the operational and systems infrastructure with an international team all working virtually.
- Participates in the development and implementation of company policies and procedures.
- Supervises and executes the day-to-day operations of the I.T. Department, office management, and technical support sections of the company.
- Prepares financial and/or operational analyses and reports, and audits current procedures to monitor and improve efficiency of operations.
- Responsible for the development and day-to-day administration of policies and programs covering TheraSim, Inc recruitment, training, employee relations, benefits and compensation.
- Works closely with all managers and employees to create a positive and well-functioning work environment.
- Develops strategic alliances with international clients and partners in 18 different countries.
- Developed TheraSim, Inc. logo