MESL Microwave Market Analyst
MESL collaborated with the University of Edinburgh business school in seeking advice on potential investment in emerging markets. The report focused on the telecommunications industry in India. It looked at the business environment, outlined the major telecom operators and the changes taking place within telecom infrastructure. The findings allowed for an indication of doing business in the Indian telecommunications market specifically for a telecoms component manufacturer. (http://www.meslmicrowave.com/)
"Tuur was a student on the International Business and Emerging Markets course that I co-taught in first half of 2009. In this course he worked in a group preparing a report for an Edinburgh-based mobile telephone base station components producer investigating business opportunities in the Indian market. Overall the group did very good work, and Tuur's contibution was, in my assessment, by far the best. His analysis covered market players, including customers and competitors, and identified the best location for the company to open operations in India on the basis of proximity to suppliers. I felt that his work demonstrated not only an ability to gather and present facts but also a rare skill in assessing the meaning of those facts for the company and drawing conclusions for action on the basis of the analysis." (Dr. Richard Woodward - Lecturer in International Business, University of Edinburgh)
An overall understanding of the needs, contexts and processes of strategic management in businesses working in an international context, and some useful approaches to analyzing them. Including:
- Understanding the complexity of strategic management in international firms.
- Knowledge of strategy alternatives for international firms.
- Ability to apply strategy theories and models to new environments and contexts
- The ability to communicate analyses and conclusions clearly and persuasively.
Methods of Research:
Analysis of different methods of data collection designed to show the strengths and weakness of research methods. Including:
- How to conduct qualitative research and the keyskills for interview based approaches to research
- Principles of statistical sampling and the reliability of conclusions arisingfrom it
- Recognize statistical techniques appropriate to the analysis of some particularcircumstances.
- Implement sampling experiments toachieve adequate randomness and reliability in sample data.
Accounting and Financial Management:
Provides essential accounting and financial background and an introduction to analytical tools necessary to understand the financial management of an organization. Including:
- Theinterrelationship between the organisation's accounting results, financingand valuation.
- Understand basic accounts and their relationship to theperformance, financing and valuation of a company.
- Understand the role of risk in the pricing of assets and its role inthe markets for equities and bonds.
- Learn how corporations raise capital and the valuation effects ofcapital structure decisions and dividend policy.
Global Strategy and Management:
Examined the strategic challenges faced by firms in emerging markets, as well as how multinationals from emerging markets compete in today's global markets, indentifying managerial principles that are applicable universally and those that are specific to emerging markets.
Key topics included:
- Global competitive dynamics; international strategies of firms from emerging markets
- Design of global organisational structures and change management
- Global learning and knowledge management
- Strategic issues in cross-border strategic alliances
- The role of corporate social responsibility in multinational firms' strategies
- Learning of challenges presented byinternational marketing to equip participants to deal with differences, opportunities andthreats emerging from diverse economic, demographic, political/legal, cultural, technical andcompetitive environments.
- Provided a comprehensive overview of international marketing issues, andinstilledan appreciation of the international business and marketing environment. Introducedthe international marketing environment andbasic principles underlying the design and implementation of marketing strategies across andwithin foreign countries.
Global Financial Markets
- Understand the relation between financial markets and firms.
- Understand how markets for equities, bonds, derivatives and foreign exchange function, how these instruments are traded and the role of global capital markets in raising finance for emerging market firms.
- Appreciate problems and issues related to institutions, legal frameworks, disclosure regimes and financial risk that must be considered when emerging market firms raise capital in international capital markets through equity and bond issues, cross-listing and other methods.