Commercially focused professional with proven success in advertising, retail, restructured and start-up multi-national organizations. Strengths include partnering with Senior Management on strategy setting, as well as delivering results with client and joint venture contracts, streamlining financial operations/reporting, implementing new IT systems.Experienced in high-growth markets, as well as extreme cost cutting in financial downturns.
Nov 2009 - Present
Apr 2001 - Oct 2009
·Responsible for negotiating and monitoring all client compensation contracts, and insuring all client relationships are profitable.Clients include Pepsi, Coke, MillerCoors, Unilever, GMAC, EDS and Levi’s.
·Participated in the creation of the company strategic plan.Worked with various department to create business plans for new initiatives.
·Streamlined financial processes resulting in accurate real time reporting with the implementation of an Oracle system.
·Partner with Department Heads to streamline processes and create efficiencies in many areas, the most recent being Digital integration.
·As part of the Global Finance Team, participated in company-wide finance initiatives.
·Refinanced corporate debt obligations.Implemented accurate cash management systems.
·Created joint ventures with partners in areas that complement core agency expertise.
·Responsible for facility leases, and overseeing construction of new offices.
·Partner with Human Resources when dealing with policy and staffing.
·Integral part of the IT team that analyzed system needs and set the path for future IT development.
·Achieved corporate cost reductions while either maintaining or increasing service levels to the company.
·Initiated top line growth through the expansion of production services.
·Supervise all financial reporting, including annual audits, budgets, forecasts and taxes.
Jun 1990 - Apr 2001
CFO - Retail Division
Hachette Distribution Services
Started with new management team post acquitision, restructured debt, and was part of the management team that grew the business more than four fold through winning new locations and acquisition. Implemented new systems, and charged with budgets, reporting and strategic plans.
Senior Vice President - Business Development1998 to 2001
Responsible for business development through acquisition, joint venture, competitive bidding and concept development.
·Successfully achieved a 50% increase in US Airport revenues since starting in this position.
·Strategically oriented the company’s focus on growth opportunities over a five year period, providing a clear path towards achievable and profitable revenue growth.
·Actively pursued venues to network, market and promote the company’s retail brands and strategy.
- Participated in the Executive Committee, which consolidated two separate companies into one efficient organization.
- Headed up the real estate department that maintains a portfolio of approximately 400 locations.
- Negotiated numerous joint ventures, leases and other contracts.
CFO & Vice President1994 - 1998
- Due Diligence Team Leader in the successful acquisition of The UCS Group, a $200M Canadian specialty retail chain.Performed numerous other due diligence exercises comprised of financial and operational reviews leading to a company valuation.
- Restructured $20M of acquisition related debt resulting in a $5M gain.
- Successfully implemented an Oracle accounting and distribution system resulting in a 50% decrease in inventory shrinkage, dramatic increase in information flow and a 25% accounting staff reduction.
- Direct report to the CEO.Actively participated in regular board meetings and a member of the Executive Committee.
- Responsible for the management of several departments including accounting/finance, information technology, loss prevention and payroll.
- Prepared the monthly management report in addition to the annual preparation of the budget and strategic plan, all within best practices timelines.
- Participated in the international HDS Technology Committee charged with setting the worldwide IT standards for the group.
- Responsible for the annual review and marketing of corporate insurance plans.
- Continued cost saving initiatives started as Controller, including the outsourcing of company run distribution center.
- Worked on purchase accounting and other issues as part of a new post acquisition management team.Familiar with the company through two years of KPMG audits.
- Improved internal controls by implementing new procedures and controls.
- Focused on reduction of corporate costs, including payroll reductions and reduction of external consulting costs.