Resident Enlightenment Manager
I spread knowledge about Second Life which results in understanding and joy... oh yes, much joy!
I make people's lives happier. What higher calling is there than that?
A partial sampling of my "quality in quantity" highlights:
- Searching for and filling in gaps — connecting people together to do great things!
- Available for specialist consulting by colleagues; see my Skills for domains of expertise.
- Wrote and edited key portions of Viewer 2.0 (significant software upgrade) help
- Executed architecture for migrating Knowledge Base to user-contributable Wiki format, worked with team to quickly correct post-import errors and led volunteers in actively updating help articles
- Created 500+ GB press video archive with footage for the BBC, Discovery Channel, and others. Also helped producers from those companies explore Second Life.
- Filled fundamental gaps in company documentation, taught coworkers how to record meetings and training sessions.
- Significantly boosted recognition of my Documentation Team, including some of the most consistently popular office hours ever held by LL employees.
- Cofounded Tips & Tricks blog.
- Championed Message of the Day tool to drive cross-promotional traffic, which resulted in promoting the launch of Quickstart Guide with 20,000+ downloads in the first month.
- Images for splash screen that everyone sees before logging into Second Life.
- Wrote key parts of how-to guides for Adult Content transition, Viewer 1.23 release, and more highly visible documentation.
- Figured out simple and effective way to track metrics on Message of the Day shown to every customer upon login, then passed torch to Customer Lifecycle gurus.
- Promoted company Twitter account, grew it to 6,150 followers by mid-2009 before passing the torch to Customer Lifecycle gurus.
- Established a smash-hit video tutorial programme and surpassed 3.5+ million YouTube views
- Co-built virtual island Here, focused on creative expression and practical examples of SL content in action
- Assembled a collection of 7,000+ Second Life snapshots I took myself, also setup the company's official media library
- Designed sounds for SLim thin client
- Worked closely with Studio Blacklight (critical issue) and Resident Experience (usability) teams to advise on customer pains
- Community representative for WindLight atmospheric rendering project: key contributor to info-page viewed over 130,000 times, shared a pack with dozens of environmental presets to stimulate creativity, aided with aesthetic testing and customer feedback
- Co-founded in-avatar, employee-user discussions called "Office Hours" which've scaled across dozens of employees and 100s of visitors weekly
- Compiled dozens of wiki pages to pool knowledge resources which have been collectively viewed and used well over a million times, e.g., Texture Tools.
- Assisted quality assurance in reproducing bugs (publicly, reported 80 bugs and commented 3,425 times on the Issue Tracker — in addition to reporting 2,800+ internal issues over the years)
- Lead blogger of the Official Second Life Blog: created guidelines, taught classes, and provided tutorials to teach others how to have valuable conversations with our customers. Responsible for promotions which raised RSS subscriptions to over 6,600. The blog has had over 29 million views, 1,700 posts, and 120,500 comments, making it one of the most historically active company blogs in the world.
- Forum administrator: participated extremely actively, with 16,000+ posts chock-full of insight & humor
- Worked with Residents (customers) to create 14 Infohubs and improve the new user welcome experience
- Lead technical writer for Knowledge Base until it transitioned to new Documentation Team, created extensive guides for Preferences and other major feature sets, contributed to "F1 Help" project
- Assisted Community Team with frontline support, answered 100s of "Live Help" questions