Three years Ruby/Rails consulting
- Still the RubyForge sysadmin; now hosting 8K projects and 40K users. Received "Ruby Hero" award at RailsConf 2008 for my work on RubyForge.
- Helped Beanstalk migrate from Engine Yard to Rackspace.
- Configured complex Sphinx (full text searching engine) installation; used the Riddle API.
- Wrote militaryprofessionalreadinglists.com - a Rails application to let folks track which books they've read from various military reading lists. Uses Sphinx with the thinking_sphinx plugin.
- Worked with an application that used backgroundrb with monit to handle background jobs.
- Fixed a bug in the rcov native code.
- Stood up railsonpostgresql.com where I post about interesting Rails + PostgreSQL technical details.
- Wrote "GForge Sites" - a little Rails application to track GForge installations.
- Wrote lots of "back end" Rails code; e.g., controllers and models.
- Rewrote proprietary content management package resulting in 10x performance gain and much better manageability.
- Integrated Rails app with open source "Beast" forum package.
- Set up numerous Rails deployments; wrote Capistrano tasks, used Capistrano multistage, configured mod_proxy_balancer, wrote mod_rewrite rules, set up virtual hosts, troubleshot Mongrel, converted many applications over to Passenger.
- Many hours of Linux sysadmin work - OS installations, security tweaks, application installation, Puppet configuration, etc.
- Wrote Rails log analysis plugin that reported on database query usage and times.
- Integrated Rails app with SilverPop email service
- Wrote a book: Generating Parsers with JavaCC.
One year Ruby product development
- Wrote a book: PMD Applied.
- Wrote Ruby BitTorrent client library.
- Wrote Ruby extension for Evolution.
- Wrote Amazon S3 client library.
- Wrote several Rails apps and services, including a set of AJAXy admin pages.
Three years DARPA consulting - Ultralog