To secure a senior corporate communications position, applying my professional experience, superior communication skills, creative problem solving and management skills, at an international, mission and values-driven organization with growth opportunities.
VT Group’s Performance Award, 2012
USO President's Award, 2010
Dynamic storyteller with more than 12 years professional experience developing communications strategies that drive change and deliver tangible results. Brings strong repertoire of marketing, public relations, event planning and design skills to small and large organizations. b Highly successful directing communications functions, executive outreach and organizational development and change communications.
Feb 2012 - Present
Freelance Marketing and Public Relations
- PepsiCo: Develops and edits PowerPoint presentations, graphics and marketing materials for MBA recruitment programs.
- Friends of the National Zoo: Drafted media release, pitched and secured media coverage for Woo at the Zoo and ZooFari events.
- Hope for The Warriors®: Served as planning committee member for Got Heart, Give Hope Gala, assisting with media outreach and communications efforts.
Feb 2014 - Present
AVP, Business Communications
Communications and Web content director specializing in financial communications
- Develops complex communications strategies to promote financial priorities and achievements to 58,000 employees within PNC Financial Services Group.
- Provides strategic counsel to leadership that support business goals and reinforce culture.
- Drafts effective messages that translate key business and financial issues, including speeches, talking points, blogs and articles.
- Uses qualitative and quantitative research to evaluate and refine public relations and marketing strategies.
- Manages redesign of Intranet, reorganizing content and setting editorial standards.
- Works with marketing and events teams on integrated public relations efforts.
- Serves as internal change agent.
Jan 2011 - Feb 2014
Communications and Marketing Manager
- Communications lead and strategic counsel to CEO and senior leadership.
- Directs strategic corporate communications planning, tactical support and project management.
- Oversees organizational brand management, overseeing organizational change and building internal culture that is aligned to corporate values.
- Leads employee communications program, including the development and execution of internal communications strategy.
- Oversees social media and Web presence as webmaster.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with local and regional directors and managers to ensure their priorities are reflected and supported in regional communications strategies.
- Works with external media to garner coverage of VT Group and senior leadership.
- Designs corporate presentations and marketing collateral.
- Plans and coordinates annual leadership conference, tradeshows and other corporate events.
- Drafts and distributes quarterly corporate newsletter.
- Coordinates corporate philanthropic efforts, actively participating in community and charity events.
- Also fills photographer, videographer and graphic design roles.
- Established new vendor relationships, saving VT Group more than $50,000 in less than four months.
- Launched new corporate website in less than 45 days, creating project strategy content and managing vendors.
- Developed social media policies and protocols for U.K.-based Babcock International Group and its U.S. subsidiary, VT Group.
- Received VT Group Performance Award for planning and management of the corporate Leadership Conference.
Jan 2006 - Dec 2010
Manager, Media Relations & Communications
Leads global public relations and marketing function for a $225M international organization
- Acting vice president of communications for USO Headquarters, directing a staff of eight and PR/marketing agencies.
- Budget creation and oversight experience, planning and tracking a $11M communications, event and project budget.
- Spearheaded outreach and drafts speeches and messaging for C-level staff.
- Oversaw integrated communications strategy for 162 USO locations and 11 programs worldwide in coordination with corporate or enterprise-wide activities.
- Developed organizational change and engagement strategies for more than 400 employees and 40,000 volunteers worldwide.
- Created revenue generating, cause marketing programs with corporate partners.
- Liaised with The White House, Congress, Department of Defense and various entertainment management entities to stage events and manage media outreach.
- Provided media training to USO personnel.
- Served as corporate spokesperson.
- Led team that generated more than 7 billion opportunities to see positive messages in broadcast and print media worldwide in 2008- 2009.
- Led launch of the USO’s social media presence and developed staff training on social media policies.
- Created and pitched major media events featured on NBC’s TODAY, DIY Network, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and NFL Fox Sunday.
- Received USO President's Award.
Jun 2004 - Dec 2005
Public Relations Manager
Directed three multimillion-dollar accounts for public relations and engagement firm
- Directed three multimillion-dollar accounts, managing internal and external communications strategies, specializing in community relations and engagement.
- Translated communications and branding strategies to be included in construction and design projects.
- Supervised four-person staff.
- Wrote and produced printed marketing materials and Web content.
- Coordinated design and installation of point-of-sale displays.
- Managed three speaker’s bureaus and third-party vendor relationships and contracts.
- Planned more than 40 public events and workshops, engaging more than 200 community leaders and elected officials to implement communication strategies and create trusted relationships.
- Made a positive impact on local communities throughout Maryland and Washington Metropolitan area.
Nov 2002 - Jun 2004
Created and implemented communication strategies for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Crafted and implemented marketing and communication strategies and messaging for agency campaigns, product launches and special events.
- Established guiding principle for corporate social responsibility and cause-related marketing programs.
- Wrote collateral and Web content for www.recoverymonth.gov.
- Managed relationship with the Partnership for a Drug-Free America.
- Initiated strategic partnerships with Alliance for Community Media and NCAA.
- Publicist, booker and writer of Road to Recovery Web-based show.
- Planned more than 50 weekly training events, press conferences and media tours.
- Promoted 10 product launches, exceeding sales goals by 15%.
Apr 2002 - Nov 2002
Coordinated and assessed client media distribution for PR service firm
- Built and provided analysis of customized media plans and lists.
- Created strategic media distribution plans.
- Extensively researched foreign, national and local media outlets.
- Monitored media for additional media opportunities.
- Supervised production of media and marketing materials.
- Served as agency liaison with corporate headquarters.
- Built lasting relationships with newly acquired accounts.
Jan 2002 - Apr 2002
Temporary staffing assignment at Magellan Behavioral Health
- Managed license and credential verification criteria for Magellan Behavioral Health providers.
- Acquired in-depth knowledge of managed health care industry.
- Aided in acquiring 7,000 healthcare providers for Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Sep 2001 - Dec 2001
Online Marketing Coordinator
Initiated effective e-marketing strategies for The World & I magazine
- Managed brand awareness and loyalty campaigns, targeting education market.
- Wrote and designed marketing and sales collateral.
- Created and maintained direct mail database.
- Represented magazine at trade shows and conferences.
- Managed third party vendor relationships.
- Worked with editorial department to coordinate marketing and promotional efforts.
- Initiated magazine's first targeted e-marketing strategies.
- Secured more than 450 new subscriptions.
Specialized master's program focused on communications and leadership skills beyond those delivered in a traditional MBA program.
Bachelor of Business Administration
BBA with a concentration in Marketing provided analytical and technical tools, as well as a strong conceptual framework, to understand consumer and organizational buying behavior and strategic marketing processes.
Speech written for keynote speech given by VT Group CEO at AUVSI San Diego Lindbergh Chapter’s Unmanned Systems Interoperability Conference 2012,
Writes speeches and other communications for president and CEO, board members and other senior staff.
Designed and launched VT Group website in 45 days.
Developed and edited video.
Traditional press releases are distributed to wire services for immediate placement.
Led the integration of social media releases into USO communication efforts, allowing rich content for media outlets and websites.