On any given day my department will have, on average, 40 admitted patients on the unit. There will be a minimum of 50 doctors and other health professionals in and out of the unit within a 12 hour shift; each with his or her special requests. It is my responsibility to keep the flow of patients, nurses, doctors, housekeeping, security, and maintenance staff effeciently informed and attended to in order to provide exceptional patient care.
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as the unit's communication coordinator; handling sensitive and extremely confidential matters both in person and on the phone.
- Accurately transcribes physician orders and professionally communicates with the appropriate nursing and medical staff.
- Confidentially uses Meditech to enter and coordinate computer data on all patients.
- Coordinates with both domestic and external medical facilities such as, radiology, housekeeping, laboratories, social services, etc. to request and obtain supplies and services.
- Works with nursing staff to coordinate and arrange patient transfers to and from the unit.
- Initiates emergency protocol under the direction of a physician or nurse.
- Initiates, maintains, and updates patient charts, inserting appropriate forms, ancillary department reports, consults, etc.
- Rearranges order of charts for medical records when patient is discharged. Ensures that charts for transfer patients are copied prior to transfer to other facilities.
- Accesses patient data for nursing and medical staff as needed.
- Professionally and effectively maintains work area on nursing unit in a neat and orderly condition.