Sales Representative: Academic/Government ePublications
Brought on board to manage publications sales in the corporate, academic, and government markets. Accounts included academic institutions located around the world, as well as leading automotive OEMs such as Ford, Honda, and Chrysler.
Currently serving as the sole direct sales representative selling into the global academic, government, and consortia markets. Generate $2.5 million in annual sales, representing a full 10% of the organization’s total publication sales.
Serve as a subject matter expert on technical publications and advise on marketing, product development, licensing, pricing, user experience, and financial/forecasting initiatives. Coach and mentor new employees.
- Navigated through a highly contentious product change as the organization implemented digital rights management and download limits on previously unrestricted subscriptions, resulting in a significant loss of accounts in the academic market.
- Restored the subscription base to more than 100 of the world’s top research universities generating $2.5+ million in annual sales
- Combated negative perception of the organization by focusing relationship-building efforts on the most influential members of the academic community and influencing opinions from the inside
- Opened the academic consortium market by closing SAE’s first consortia account, successfully negotiating sale and license with one of the largest academic consortia in the United States. With $100,000+ in first-year sales and $30,000+ in recurring annual revenue, this account laid the foundation for future consortia business.
- Elevated the organization’s image in the academic market by becoming an active member of associations, negotiating sponsorship opportunities, and establishing a presence at academic trade shows. Introduced a more proactive approach to account capture and served as a resource to existing and potential customers.
- Migrated 90% of the customer base from physical products to digital-format subscriptions, which deliver ongoing revenue streams while significantly increasing up-sell opportunities.
- Directed implementation of system that heightened visibility into sales activities—including direct, aggregator, and reseller sales—by leading implementation of a Salesforce automation project. Served as project manager and worked directly with vendor to launch system used by SAE’s Publishing Department to:
- Automatically capture and record customers’ quote requests
- Enable more accurate sales forecasting across all channels
- Streamline the sales process
- Introduce cross-division collaboration and minimize conflicts among account managers