1) Design, plan, implement, review Systems, Network, Security Infrastructure and Application architecture for GIS.
The infrastructure includes
- Sun Enterprise servers (E4800s, V880s, E450s, E220s, T300 SAN), and Dell servers running on Microsoft Windows 2000.
- Network infrastructure includes Cisco Catalyst switches (6506, 3550, 2950), routers (2620), firewall (Pix 515, 525), and multiple local and international internet connection, Nortel 1100 contivity VPN gateway, Intrusion Detection Systems using Snort 1.x/2.x, MRTG and Nagios network reporting, network audit using CIS Level 1 and 2.
- Set up Redhat Linux cluster (16 nodes with dual CPU, 2GB RAM, 1TB EMC FC4700 SAN) for scientific computing
- Voice services such as Alcatel PABX, Singtel PhoneNet and audio and video conference
- Total hardware and software investment cost S$1.5 million.
Application platform includes
- J2EE running on Tomcat, Apache, Jboss
- Database include Oracle, Sybase, MySQL, MS SQL
- Open source bioinformatics tools such as BLAST, Ensembl, Hmmer, Clustalw, Emboss
2) Lead and manage a team of 6 Systems, Network Engineers and technicians to provide Systems, Network and Desktop service to internal customers which comprises of international researchers and local staff. Applications supported include productivity tools like MS Office and scientific products like Mathematica.
3) Liaise with vendor to implement hardware and software solution for the company. This include solution review and selection. Drafting and calling of open tender is part of the job too.
4) Draft, modify and review I.T infrastructure policies and standards according to government guidelines such as SWTA and IM8C
5) Design, plan, acquire, implement and commission Linux cluster running Platform LSF/Sun SGE for bioinformatics computational jobs
6) Help setup, maintain, relocate 3 data centers ranging from small size (10 racks) to huge size (50 racks) covering fire protection, water detection, electrical, physical security, racks allocation, hardware and software monitoring, off site storage
7) Applications implemented and supported include Veritas/Legato Backup, MS IIS / Apache web server, Tomcat application, SAP R3 (HR and Finance), MS Exchange 2000, Oracle / Sybase / MS SQL Server 2000, Forte C and Java development platforms, open source such as gcc / nagios, etc.