CAPACITY / PLANNING
WESSEX WATER SERVICES LIMITED
Provided planning assistance to abate flood prone area in northern PA. Required investigations for potential flood control dams, dikes, and non-structural measures.
- Provided hydrologic and hydraulic analysis assistance to investigate best option to rehabilitate an aging flood control dam within a detailed watershed plan. Final solution involved raising the dam and lining auxiliary spillway with Roller Compacted Concrete.
- Performed a dam rehabilitation assessment on 8 flood control dams across PA in an effort to gain a more comprehensive engineer's evaluation or risk with each dam and ultimately provide a comparative ranking of which dams to proceed with further analysis of.
- Served as the agency Contracting Officer's Technical Representative for multiple contracts involving floodwater dam rehabilitation projects. This included 7 dam rehabilitation assessments and 3 dam rehabilitation plans.
- Represented agency interests in providing assistance to PADEP in their creation of new Stormwater Management Guidelines. Largely involved use of "bioretention" practices. Ran rigorous tests of proposed guidelines using agency hydrology tools to evaluate other hydrologic impacts resulting from use of these measures.
- Developed an alternate Time of Concentration analysis routine that yields 4 different choices for shallow concentrated flow as compared to the standard "unpaved" selection. This method was accepted for use nationwide and published in the National Engineering Handbook.
- Evaluated the anticipated impacts to results of rainfall-runoff predictive analysis resulting from the newly adopted NOAA Atlas 14 rainfall data (both rainfall amounts and design distributions) as compared to the former method using TP-40 and the NRCS Type II Distribution. This led to my professional recommendations for adoption by the agency across the state of PA.
- Provided hydrologic and hydraulic engineers' tools training to agency and consulting engineers on a routine basis annually.
- Managed all aspects of projects related to floodplain and watershed modeling, surface-water/ground-water interactions, drought analyses, and instream flow requirements for anadromous fish.
- Coordinated, performed, and supervised data collection activities and data analyses pertaining to water resources project work.
- Performed hydrologic and hydraulic modeling activities.
- Used GIS tools to aid in project work.
- Completed technical reports related to water resources projects.
Directly responsible for the continuous improvement and upgrades of
Acted as Mechanical Engineering Lead on machinery upgrades and technical projects.
Maintained technical support and compliance with other departments and engineering staff.
I was responsible for handling enquiries, complaints and emails concerning defective/returned products in order to provide a consolidated response to customers and clients. This role helped me expand my communication (both written and verbal), listening and questioning skills as they were very critical for the job. Being open minded, working well under pressure and prioritising my workload were also qualities that advanced from working for Mothercare.