Networking, meeting new and interesting people, entrepreneurs, startups, and technology.
I am a sales + marketing professional who helps businesses + entrepreneurs harness the power of online interaction--everything from social media to traditional online marketing--to increase sales and drive new business. I just co-wrote my first book with Erik Wolf entitled Marketing: Unmasked. I also co-host Gravity Free Radio, a weekly radio show for entrepreneurs and startups. We have interviewed authors, bloggers, PR professionals, journalists, and many experienced business owners, entrepreneurs, and advisors.
I also have an extensive background in wireless telecommunications. As our world becomes increasingly more mobile, wireless devices may become our primary tool for interacting online. Because my experience spans mobile applications, online content and new media, I have a unique understanding of what companies need to do in order to build their brand, stay connected, and form lasting bonds with their customers.
Join us each week as we talk with entrepreneurs, authors, bloggers, and other business experts on the challenges and rewards of being in business these days.
Co-written with Erik Wolf, Marketing: Unmasked, Insider's Tips and Tricks for Success in Small Business Marketing
Dec 2008 - Present
Director of Business Development
Working mostly with entrepreneurs, responsible for building and maintaining pipeline of new business as well as account management for existing clients.
- Prospect for new clients via in-person networking and effective use of social media tools such as Twitter, blogging, LinkedIn, and other sites.
- Nurture and close inbound leads from website.
- Manage customer from concept to launch and beyond.
2005 - Present
Consulting, public speaking, marketing/social media training, technology planning, and wireless strategy planning.
2001 - 2005
Senior Manager, Business Development
- Working as part of an indirect sales channel, developed strategy for business acquisition via third-party application service providers (ASPs) to be able to resell network services as part of their offering.
- Managed strategic partnerships in the consumer location-based services, mobile media and entertainment space.
- Consistently at or above quota delivering at least $4 million in revenue each year.
1998 - 2000
- Sold satellite mobile devices to very high-end, niche market segments.
- Accounts included: U.S. government agencies including Department of State, foreign embassies and diplomats, and American Red Cross as well as multinational businesses and global executives
- Consistently exceeded sales quota despite the challenges of selling an expensive and highly unique hardware/service offering.
- High degree of client contact and relationship building with government officials and CxO-level executives.
1994 - 1998
- Developed strategic partnerships with various telemetry application providers to expand the uses for the ReFLEX network. This created new revenue streams for the company beyond traditional network use which was simple text messaging.
- Conducted market research to determine pricing structure for SkyTel 2-Way®.
- Analyzed demographic data used to identify key markets for network buildout and expansion.
1993 - 1994
- Worked on behalf of the commodities industry to monitor and positively influence legislation by working with key members of Congress
- Served as the liaison to the Commodities Futures Trading Commission.
1992 - 1993
Helped launch the Office of National and Community Service, the precursor to Americorps (www.americorps.org) for the first fourteen months of the Clinton Administration following work on the 1992 Presidential Campaign and at the Democratic National Committee.