Director of Corporate Communications
Orange Lake Resorts
Responsible for strategic planning and team of 7 direct reports including writers who provided all content creation for projects ranging from sales and marketing to internal and executive communications; public relations and social media professionals who focused on enhancing and protecting the brand reputation, and a community relations team that implemented initiatives aimed at increasing employee engagement across all 12 resorts, enhancing brand reputation and providing direction/resources to resort management.
- Established structure for enhanced internal communications channels aimed at engaging more than 3,000 employees throughout the United States, rebranding existing channels and providing direction for creation of employee TV channel and launch of new, robust Intranet.
- Developed crisis communications plan and resources, created media training tools for resort management, worked closely with senior executives and legal counsel, providing direction and key messaging in response to issues, served as media spokesperson and trained nearly 65 resort managers and staff in crisis communications. Deflected unfavorable media scrutiny in many sensitive situations, including the termination of more than 200 employees at a newly acquired property, several guest deaths and an Ebola scare, which prompted the local health agency to isolate employees, guests and emergency first-responders.
- Directed creation of focused corporate social responsibility (CSR) platform to more efficiently manage donation requests and $300,000 CSR budget. Internal campaign to raise money for breast cancer awareness engaged nearly 1,000 employees across all 12 resorts and raised $17,000 exceeding previous year by 61%.
- Worked closely with senior executive team to onboard and brand 2 newly acquired resort properties, providing key messaging for all stakeholders and identifying/mitigating risks to company’s reputation.
- Led strategic direction of public relations and social media team, integrating PR into marketing strategies to support objectives of several business units including HR, rental, sales and referral marketing. Earned media coverage through 11 articles in 4 trade publications and more than quadrupled Facebook likes to 20,000+.