Results-driven professional with hands on experience in finance, accounting and operations for both public and private companies.Excellent team builder with ability to build and maintain relationships throughout an organization.Ability to understand big picture concepts while retaining focus on key project and program details.Proven ability to use critical thinking and creativity to improve processes and solve problems.Endless curiosity, strong desire to acquire new skills and take on new challenges.
- Directly involved with profitable growth of business from $120mm to $206mm including establishment of four additional branch locations.
- Created and executed sales presentations, performed due diligence and integrated accounting functions that supported the successful sale of Todd Pipe & Supply.
- Assisted in the selection and implementation of new ERP system including redesign of P&L statements for enhanced reporting and increased accountability.
- Initiated a review of company health insurance, 401K, and business insurance resulting in a significant cost saving to the company without a decrease in service levels.
- Performed a strategic review of company to ensure alignment with customer and employee expectations.
- Helped establish Toyota Motor Credit Branch in San Antonio, including staffing, training and developing relationship with local dealership body.
- Assisted in development of various financial training programs for management.
- Developed dashboard to help Branch Mangers focus on KPIs of business.
- Maintained best SG&A expense ratio in division in both up and down markets by working with Branch Manager to redure OT by 25%, reduce entertainment expense by 51% and eliminate contract labor.
- Assisted with strategic reduction in force project aligning staff with decreased sales while maintaining a high level of customer service.
2008 - Present
Not for profit entertainment venue providing live theater, music and arts education. Presents over three hundred productions each year producing in excess of $30 million in revenue.
Supervised staff of seven associates providing AR, AP, payroll and reporting functions. Managed monthly and year-end closes. Prepared and analyzed various financial reports and tracked performance of $250 million in investments.
- Prepared and analyzed various financial and Board reports.
- Helped prepare for and manage year end audit.
- Worked with senior management to improve operations, reporting and implement controls.
- Supervised staff of seven to ensure timely and accurate processing of AP, AR and payroll.
- Negotiated with vendor to help reduce overhead expenses.
2006 - 2008
HD Supply, Inc.
$12 Billion wholesale supply division of Home Depot.
Spun Off by Home Depot August 2007
Responsible for financial management, operational performance and analysis of five locations ($80 Million & 161 employees). Supervised six direct reports and fifteen indirect reports. Directly involved with forecasting, budgeting, planning and execution of business strategy for ten branches in the Western Plumbing Division.
- Similar Duties as Business Controller with emphasis on operations for Southern California and Nevada.
- Worked with Branch Managers toward achieving sales and margin goals, expense control and developing and maintaining productive and efficient branch staffing.
- Assisted Regional and Branch Managers in identifying and addressing regional concerns and opportunities.
- Maintained best SG&A ratio in both up and down markets by working with Branch Managers to reduce OT by 25%, reduce entertainment expense by 51% and eliminating contract labor.
- Negotiated with struggling captive insurance company and members to ensure pay back of $200K of stock.
- Developed dashboard to focus Branch Mangers on sales and margin goals and KPIs of business.
- Assisted in strategic reduction in force project aligning staff with decreased sales while maintaining customer service.
2004 - 2006
$5 Billion national wholesale distributor of construction related products.
Acquired April 2006 by Home Depot
Business Controller, Western Region
Provided forecasting, P&L analysis, budgeting, and financial proformas for Western Plumbing Division. Performed due diligence, SOX audits and assisted with integration of acquisitions. Maintained all financial records for Hughes Funding & IP. Managed three direct reports and eighteen indirect reports.
- Worked closely with Regional VP of Sales and Operations Managers to address regional issues.
- P&L review and analysis for Southern California, Texas and Arizona regions.
- Worked with Corporate Accounting to ensure GAAP compliance and manage SOX audits for region.
- Pro Forma financial statements and profitability analysis for potential branches.
- Forecasting, budgeting and variance analysis for Southern California Region.
- Customer and Program Profitability Analysis.
- Maintain financial record for Hughes Supply IP and Hughes Supply Funding.
- Assisted with audit and integration of two subsequent acquisitions.
- General ledger integration and process mapping for accounting functions.
- Assisted in project coordination and management to drive integrations to successful completion.
- Liaison to HSI to address concerns, issues and impact surrounding integration and policy changes
1996 - 2004
Todd Pipe & Supply Inc.
Private regional wholesale distributor of plumbing products with $206 million in revenue, 475 employees and nine branches across Southern California and Las Vegas.
Acquired May 2004 by Hughes Supply
Chief Financial Officer (2003-2004)
Responsible for all aspects of financial reporting: accounting, budgeting, forecasting, internal controls and internal and external audits. Built and maintained relationships with banks, insurance companies and other internal customers and external vendors.Supervised four direct reports and eighteen indirect reports.
- Developed and implemented internal controls, company policy and procedures.
- Negotiated with outside vendors for lines of credit and insurance policies.
- Established and maintained positive working relationship with branch managers and other employees.
- Coordinated with outside CPA firm to generate reviewed annual financial statements.
- Generated Annual Report.
- Oversaw all audits including bank audits, insurance audits and sales tax audits.
- Maintained all financial records.
- Assisted in the entire M&A process including creation and execution of the sales presentation and Due Diligence.
- Streamlined the closing process using existing system tools and decreased closing by three days.
- Group Health Plan Evaluation. Analyzed existing policy for company cost and employee contribution levels, which led to implementation of better cost sharing between employees and company.
- 401(k) Selection Committee. Lead research of 401(k) alternatives and negotiation of new 401(k) plan to increase service levels, decreased company expense and administrative burdens.
- Negotiated Liability Insurance resulting in a 10% savings to the company.
- Designed Branch Review to better educate managers on cost drivers and break-even points.
Controller (1996 - 2003)
Responsible for full cycle GL management including reporting, P&L analysis and balance sheet reconciliations and consolidation for nine branch locations. Supervised three direct and nine indirect reports providing administration functions such as AP, AR, payroll, sales tax, and management of fleet insurance, audits and product liability lawsuits.
- Prepared and analyzed financial statements.
- Managed external audit requests.
- Assisted senior management in developing and refining company policies and procedures.
- Ad hoc reporting for senior management.
- Supervised several administrative functions including corporate accounts payable, reconciliation of general ledger accounts, payroll, sales tax, fleet insurance and product liability lawsuits.
- Worked with in-house and external IT departments to troubleshoot and maintain various branch and payroll systems.
- Compiled data and edited narratives for Annual Report.
- Assisted in redesigning General Ledger and P&L statements for enhanced reporting.
- Initiated strategic review of business.
- Software Implementation Team. Worked with employees and Eclipse Software consultants to implement new software platform and establish new procedures and processes.
- Executive Steering Committee. Worked with software consultants, project managers and other committee members to resolve software and business process issues.
- Streamlined several administration functions by utilizing existing software and implementing new procedures for tasks such as payroll, garnishments, sales tax and 1099 processing resulting in both labor and supply savings.
1991 - 1996
Toyota Motor Credit Corporation
Customer Accounts Supervisor (1995-1996)
Credit Analyst (1994-1995)
Management Training Program (1991-1993)