Motorcycle restoration, Robotics, US certified swimming official, Education, Science fiction
Embedded Software Engineering
System Architecture and Solution Development
LCI Sales Funnel prior to main raise.
Thermal modeling of thermoelectric MEMs structures.
512 pin BGA
3M gates, 3MB RAM, 1 iteration!
Standard silicon processes producing through plane thermoelectric effect.
Fully intelligent "fly by wire" fuel cell system.
Multi-Service ATM Access Multiplexer. Hot Swap, Redundant, Upgradable and Web Managed
Second generation of worlds first commercial ATM switch.
300W with battery charger
Ready for testing.
Consumer RF based health and safety monitoring device.
Mar 2013 - Present
VP Engineering & Manufacturing
GridBridge enables grid modernization, pioneering cutting-edge solutions at the intersection of electric utilities and consumers. Partnering with electric utilities, our goals are to increase efficiency on the electrical grid and further enable the adoption of green technology. As the VP of Engineering and Manufacturing I work with staff from the FREEDM Systems Center in NC State University to industrialize and further develop solid state electronics technology for application in the new intelligent Distribution Network. I am working with local industry service companies to introduce first products into manufacturing as well as having active roles in product definition, competitive analysis, IP protection, standards and customer acceptance/deployment.
2009 - 2013
Thermocline Ventures, Inc.
Part time work developing the prototype for a wireless consumer health monitoring device; also advising company on raising capital.
2007 - 2012
VP Product Development & Engineering
The company developed a new class of fuel cell generator, portable energy storage devices, uGrid connectivity systems and associated software. I was tasked with catalyzing product development within this previously R&D centered company. Worked within team to transform development capabilities and management systems, get current projects back on track and embark on a new product roadmap. Took a significant stake in the companying 2010 and invited to join the board.
- Transformed R&D based team into a multi-disciplinary product development team with new confidence & focus
- Worked within team to bring previously failing prototype fuel cell product to successful government testing on time
- Specified, architected, and lead development of two new fuel cell industrial products, developing multiple new control techniques for optimizing performance and durability of product offerings
- Company awarded $2.1MM government appropriations award in 2008, $2.4M in 2010 as well as multiple other contracts for military products
- Company had first profitable year in 2010 and has been profitable since
- Worked with founder to architect, specify and develop next generation product direction in the intelligent energy grids, storage and generation areas
2004 - 2007
Recruited by CEO to drive engineering efforts to pioneer innovative thermoelectric energy harvesting devices and implement in standard CMOS and MEMS processes. Actively participated in core research, device simulations, government grant writing, application investigation, customer research, and investment activities. Explored and cultivated global relationships with potential partners and OEMs and managed semiconductor fabrication as an outsourced service. Restored company's focus on physics and fundamental electrical and thermal issues keeping company on the right course.
- Wrote and managed grant that generated $100,000 award from the National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Saved $200K in prototype costs by uncovering fundamental flaws & refocusing company on other design directions
2000 - 2003
Founder, COO & VP Engineering
Litchfield Communications, Inc.
Founder and initial CEO for venture backed start-up developing 3M gate ASIC to encapsulate SONET over IP networks. Raised capital, set up operations, hired team, managed top level development plan with teams in the US, Canada, Taiwan, Singapore and Ireland. Handled CFO duties and legal as well as taking active role in business development.
- Brought Cisco and PMC Sierra together to define and support market need, raising initial $2MM from PMC Sierra
- Raised an additional $12MM from Kodiak Venture Partners, Commonwealth Capital Ventures, Silicon Valley Bank and TSMC
- Secured LOIs from early adopter companies and hired in high profile CEO for market launch
- Device worked first run and was demonstrated in a system the same week as it arrived from the foundry
1995 - 2000
Hired into Sahara Networks to lead hardware & mechanical development for revolutionary family of ATM multi-service access multiplexers. Architected system, hired team, set up technical operations and lead-development from blank paper to release. Headed up all safety, EMC, and Telecomm standards testing and took a role in customer support.
- Sahara Networks was acquired by Cascade for $213M in 1996; Cascade acquired by Ascend Communications for $4B in 1997 and Ascend acquired by Lucent in 1999 for $24B
- Steered team through three consecutive acquisitions winning the Bell Labs' President's Award for Excellence in 1999
- Made major individual contributions in HW and SW systems designs and feature adds such as full system redundancy
- Product deployed at major service providers including Sprint, Bell South, Deutsche Telekom, Bridge IS, and NTT
1994 - 1995
General DataComm Inc.
Migrated technical know-how & operations to the US for the World's first ATM Switch from Netcomm Ltd as part of an international acquisition. Took on Engineering Manager role, trained US staff, improved morale and interdepartmental communications, improved & added multiple functions to product while working with marketing to define next-generation roadmap. Developed relationships in the standards community to enhance company's position in the industry.
1988 - 1994
Founder, Managing Director
Renaissance Technology Ltd
Physics with Microprocessor Engineering and Computing
University of Leicester
- Stewardson Prize for work in Storage Holography
- Graduate work at the University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology