I am a keen runner, and have completed three London Marathons and over 20 half-marathons including the Australian Gold Coast Half Marathon. Pastimes include golf and fishing, and obviously travel. I spend my spare time supporting the local Parish where I am a councilor. I also help run the local Netball Association, Pine Rivers where I am a committee member.
Candidate with a wealth of experience across all areas of the travel industry including:
- All strata of sales and distribution
- Airline, wholesale and retail management.
- Innovative, entrepreneurial and creative
- A confident public speaker and communicator
- Loyal, reliable and strong team player and motivator.
Career achievements include a proven track record of enhancing sales and profitability, and motivational leadership. Results include innovative web based solutions, home and remote working innovation, and deployment of creative marketing concepts.
Tertiary qualified with a BSc in Business Economics. In depth knowledge of all travel Industry GDS, sales platforms, accounting practices, and travel legislation (UK and Australia). Proficient analytical skills utilising Microsoft Excel and Access.
- Established new agency trading as Take Flight Travel and Xl.com (Australia) Pty Ltd. Turnover $1.5M in first year. Currently holds over 1000 clients on database. First Australian agency to utilise Travelscene American Express Web flight Portal.
- Proven track record at Skydeals, increasing profit by 35% in first year as MD while improving turnover by 28%
- Introduced first loyalty scheme for European property market to facilitate integration between leisure air services and rentals. Allowed retail agency to service property rental market with flight provision at point of rental.
- Project managed route analysis and full business plan to integrate European aircraft into Australian leisure market. (Please see http://tinyurl.com/cqabk3 for overview, http://tinyurl.com/bxh35e for findings)
- Facilitated remote working for both home and call centre staff that improved staff recruitment and productivity that became the bench mark for Tui Europe.
- Broke distribution mould for UK charter services with the development of ORBIT, which I conceived and instigated. Platform allowed company to control point of sale and gain market share.
- Developed and implemented American Airline's North America/Europe leisure fares blueprint still in operation today.
- Created UK's first retail reservation system integrating scheduled and charter air services.
- Innovative, entrepreneurial
- Leader and proven motivator
- Team Player
- Analytical with advanced Excel, Access and PowerPoint skills
- Board level reporting experience
- Large audience presentation experience
- Tertiary Qualified
- Full GDS training
- Management of 250+ staff and $230M turnover operation
- Business planning and project management
- Corporate and leisure account management
- Fares specialist
- Fun, creative and engaging.
- Distribution specialist covering airline, wholesale, retail
- Web development and marketing
- Tertiary Qualified. Honours degree in Business Economics
- GDS trained - SABRE, GALILEO, AMADEUS, WORLDSPAN
- BA Fares - I,II,III
- IATA Fares - I,II
- Advanced Excel training
- Intermediate Access training
- ATPCO fares filing.
Dec 2005 - Present
Owner and Managing Director
Xl.com (Australia) Pty Ltd
Web based travel agency trading as Xl.com and Takeflight Travel. XL.com was the third largest UK Operator/Airline before it's closure in 2008. Australian entity operated provided consultancy services to launch Australian based airline services.
Role has involved :
- Full business start-up including business planning, web and IT development, sales and marketing
- Compiled comprehensive Australian Market Intelligence report including yield and revenue analysis, licencing, regulations and route analysis - sample available on request.
- Responsible for negotiation at national level with key airport, wholesale and retail organisations.
- Full HR, back office, accountancy and IT functions
Feb 2002 - Aug 2005
Skydeals and Thomson Holidays (Tui Plc)
Skydeals Plc is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tui Plc, Europe's largest tour operator.The company is the leading UK charter flight only retailer servicing over 300,000 passengers per annum. Operation employed over 220 staff including home based workers, and an operation with an annual turnover in excess of $230M.
As Managing Director, I had total responsibility for the operation. In my time as MD, I achieved substqantial profitability and growth, and initiated several new opportunities for the business including:
- Sales turnover increased by 28%
- Improved profitability by 35%
- Migrated the business from independent retail operation to primary flight only retail operation for top 5 leading Charter Airlines in the UK
- Implemented Industry leading remote working platform for over 125 staff
- Unique customer loyalty programme and web presence for property owners
- New revenue streams through property sales, foreign exchange and innovative marketing activity
- Launched new brands and leveraged group strengths to enhance revenue and grow client base
- Implemented virtual customer contact centre, delivering enhanced resource management and optimum sales performance
Mar 1997 - Feb 2002
Commercial Director / General Manager
Responsible for all national supplier relationships, ensuring optiumum commerical arrangements.
- Development of the product portfolio and migrated the operation from agency's charter base to also include scheduled air
- Accredited IATA status and opened up preferred airfares with scheduled airlines.
- Negotiated overrides, bonus commission payments and tactical incentives across all product suppliers
- Introduced new products such as foreign exchange and in resort revenue streams
Responsible for the day-to-day running of the operation. Responsibilities included sales, marketing, customer service and IT.
- Company growth from 30, to over 150 staff
- Relocation to purpose built call centre. As general manager I oversaw this migration, including office planning, systems and telephony.
- Introduction of Internet based sales platform
- Development of new channels of purchase to reduce cost base
- New telephony platform to increase efficiency
1993 - 1997
Sales and marketing Manager
AVRO Plc and Monarch Airlines are a leading UK charter operator and Airline. AVRO operation serviced over 750,000 passengers per annum to European destinations. Role included management of top agents as well as marketing strategy. Client base included niche flight only specialists, as well as national multiple chains such as Thomas Cook.
- Developing the marketing leading reservation platform, which dramatically improved profitability and increased productivity amongst the company's distribution base.
- Implementation of tiered sales strategy which allowed effective resource management and introduced aspirational structure to clients
- Management of 8 regional managers covering a portfolio of AVRO, Monarch and Cosmos products.
1988 - 1993
Specialist Sales Manager
Initial role was the pricing officer to assist in setting the IATA tariff for the airline on the North Atlantic. Liased directly with ATPCO and worldwide GDS. Direct working relationship with head office in Dallas and worked on yield maximization.
In later years, the role moved more towards off-tariff. Function was to develop and promote specialist sales for American Airlines, with particular focus on leisure flight seat only, cruise, ski and conference and incentive markets. During this time I developed a comprehensive knowledge base of IATA and BSP processes and regulations.
1986 - 1988
Reservations / Marketing Executive
First year role was on direct sales in the reservations department. I was then promoted to a pricing and marketing role where I helped co-ordinate the tariff strategy for BA particularly in the Africa, Middle East and Asian/Australasian markets.
Responsibilities including liaising with IATA and ATPCO for fare filing and IATA regulations though office in Geneva. Also participated in tariff conferences for IATA Area 3.