Strategic and results-oriented leader offering nearly 15 years of proven financial, operational, and infrastructure oversight. Accomplished self-starter known for technical guidance and managerial acumen, providing insight and clarity to complex financial standards and accounting pronouncements. Highly skilled in process improvement, financial controls, risk management, SOX regulations, and tax compliance. Resourceful change agent adept at assessing executive management needs, strengthening cost controls, and maximizing profit margins. Offer broad experience in up-to-date GAAP requirements, especially within real estate industry.
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Illinois CPA Society
National Association of Real Estate Companies
Business Forecasting · Financial Analysis · Budget Planning · Strategic Planning · P&L · Internal Controls · Risk Management · Finance Management · GAAP Financial Statements · SOX Regulations · Process Reengineering · Expense Control · Operational Streamlining · Change Management · Policy Development · Team Leadership · Staff Development
2004 - 2009
Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Directed all aspects of corporate and partnership financial reporting, accounting, and tax compliance for multiple company portfolios, including $550M collection of commercial/residential real estate development and investment assets, $150M collection of whole loans, and $110M+ collection of fee-based investment management assets. Oversaw 2 direct reports, including Property Controller and Corporate Controller, and 8 to 10 indirect departmental manager and staff accountant reports. Monitored and maintained all financial systems.
Headed treasury function for operating and construction projects, in addition to select corporate-level accounts. Managed wires, ACHs, and 60 to 70 bank/lockbox accounts. Created and maintained annual budget, including periodic re-forecasts. Maintained key 3rd-party relationships, working with top banking personnel. Ensured compliance with internal policies and procedures and external SOX regulations. Advised senior management team on accounting transactions and structures, providing important analysis concerning their impact on GAAP reporting, and instilling understanding of financial statements outlining impact of each deal on bottom line. Researched and documented position papers regarding several technical accounting pronouncements.
- Decreased operating costs $2M by evaluating existing structure and executing company reorganization plan.
- Generated $200K in annual management fees and $5.5M+ in up-front syndication fees by engineering critical historical performance return project, expertly analyzing investment and blended company performance for both realized and unrealized transactions to potential joint venture partners and 3rd-party management business.
- Saved 18% of 7-month $152K budgeted project by leveraging internal resources and transforming property accounting platform. Overhauled decentralized, labor-intensive program to produce highly-integrated, efficient solution, which resulted in real-time reporting of financial information, yielded better control environment, and prepared company for significant growth.
- Spearheaded company's SOX compliance, drafting and implementing new finance and accounting policies and procedures, identifying and strengthening controls, and assisting other departments through documentation-intensive process.
2002 - 2004
Vice President, Finance and Accounting
Coordinated accounting and reporting requirements for 3 private, commingled investment funds that exceeded $980M in assets and 6 million square feet of Class-A commercial office space. Managed cash and cash equivalents, including monitoring cash flows and working capital for investments, determining capital calls and monthly distribution levels, as well as preparing cash flow projections for senior management. Served as technical resource for current accounting standards and pronouncements affecting real estate industry, specifically relating documentation to financial impact on investment funds. Interfaced with 3rd-party auditing and tax preparation firms to guarantee timely and accurate GAAP reporting and tax compliance. Oversaw 2 accounting managers and 8 property accountants.
- Expedited closing and recording of 3 dispositions and 2 re-financings in 2003 totaling $315M and $80M, respectively, ensuring quick and proper recording of all transactions within 30 days of closing.
- Created opportunity to better serve existing investor base and cultivate new sources of investment capital by converting company's investment fund valuation method to fair market value reporting, as prescribed by National Council of Real Estate Investment Fiduciaries.
- Streamlined procedures and increased security by developing multi-location file organization project.
- Realized timelier tenant billing process and reduced instances of human error through automation from implementation of 2 software modules.
Portfolio Accounting Manager (2002-2003): Coordinated accounting and reporting requirements for 1 (out of 6) private, commingled investment fund that exceeded $645M in assets and 3.5 million square feet of Class-A commercial office space. Prepared annual and quarterly fund-consolidated financial statement for investors, lenders, and senior management. Managed cash and cash equivalents, ensuring adequate cash flows were available to meet operating needs and approving all property-level cash basis variance reports and monthly forecasts. Calculated property loan compliance figures for quarterly submission to lenders. Advised senior management in annual budget matters for all properties within investment fund. Supervised 4 property accountants.
1995 - 2001
Directed 8 client audit engagements, including 3 of office's largest real estate clients, Heitman Capital Management, General Growth Properties, and Transwestern Investment Company, representing over $8M in fees. Supervised 26 associates and mentored 5 associates. Reported on key engagement findings and made operational recommendations to clients' executive management and Board of Directors. Cultivated prospective clients through collaboration with proposal teams. Prepared management letter comments to suggest business improvements determined through auditing services. Supported internal users of real estate industry proprietary audit software, adding clarity to highly technical information.
- Secured fees of $4M and beat out other "Big Four" competition by preparing qualification and advisory service listings, engagement team experience summaries, and audit financial analysis for General Growth Properties in 2001.
- Increased company revenues $50K and strengthened position of not-for-profit client by discovering forensic accounting issue that resulted in vetting of advertising receivable fraud scheme. Allowed client to address situation internally, without public embarrassment and with limited related loss exposure.
- Reduced firm's legal risk exposure significantly as implementation manager for firm's web-based work paper archive system. Headed subsequent roll-out of system and training to over 500 Chicago-based audit professionals.
- Named technical advisor on firm's real estate industry proprietary audit software. Consulted with software developers and end users to provide recommendations, improve audit quality, and conduct related analyses.
Senior Accountant (1995-2000): Co-supervised audit of Heitman Capital Management, 1 of firm's 5 largest real estate clients, which represented fees of $2.5M. Acted as knowledge expert for financial statement preparation and analysis, internal controls, financial processes, and accounting/reporting compliance issues. Trained and developed up to 5 associates per audit engagement. Provided assistance for client property acquisitions and financing transactions.