VP National Sales, Marketing and Operations leadership assignment. Trusted with meeting and exceeding sales and profit targets by winning new enterprise and government customers while protecting and expanding relationships with existing customers by driving new business capture strategies and programs. My ideal company will be a growth orientated national or global organization in the enterprise wireless or information computing solutions industry that is motivated to create profitable long lasting customer relationships with innovative world-class solutions and services.
A bottom-lined, Fortune250 high technology wireless sales and strategic marketing leader with nineteen years of C level hardware/software/solution sales, marketing and operations experience. My passion is driving sales growth, profitability and competitive market share capture.A strategic thinker - able to develop breakaway enterprise, government partner sales and marketing strategies; leverage existing business relationships while motivating sales representatives to achieve rapid growth in revenue and improved customer satisfaction.Expertly exploits technology to develop customized business solutions for large and small retail enterprises.Builds and leads high performing sales teams that relentlessly tackle roadblocks to success through collaboration and creative thinking. Establishes clear vision while motivating, mentoring and coaching to exceed expectations.
Mar 2007 - May 2008
VP, National Sales and Service
Responsibilities included sales and service leadership for a 12,000 agent electronic bill payment business focused on large government regulated utilities and retail chains that incorporated client/server based payment solutions in the U.S.Annual Revenue responsibilities of the Business Unit were $75M and including the leadership responsibilities of 70 direct sales and service employees.
- We accomplished a sales turnaround and enjoyed our first quarter over quarter growth in three year
- Implemented a new National Retail Account Capture program that motivated direct salesto identify and close seven new accounts that included Wal-Mart, Farm Fresh, Supervalu, HEB and Radio Shack
- Created a successful strategic plan for the Division and executed the plan across the sales and service organization
- Created what the team felt was the best compensation plan the organization had ever seen
- Focused and grew our most profitable transaction results by 23% over previous year
- Recruited new Regional and Executive Sales and Service leadership to form the strongest ever leadership team in the history of the organization
- Revised an inherited contract that had created a loss of $250K and re-engineered to create a profit of over $380K
- Created and executed several Competitive Win Back programs that has set the stage for some explosive growth
- Maintained and improved relationships with many of the leading utility industry leaders including Duke Energy, PG&E, Sempra, AT&T, Bell South
- Initiated, closed and rolled out the industry’s first kiosk solution with NCR and implemented a trial with Radio Shack that could see the deployment of over 4,000 kiosks
- Streamlined then grew the agent network from 11,000 to 12,000 agents in 180 days
- Implemented a program that could swell the number of agents to 40,000+ leaving Fiserv with the largest agent network in the industry.
- Managed a capital expenditure of $3M in new point of sale computing, scanning and printing implementations
- Developed concepts and sales plan around distributed self service point of sale technology adoption to help Fiserv penetrate the banking industry in the U.S.
- Rated as the best leader ever by the sales and service team in a blind employee survey
- CheckFree was acquired for $4.4B in December, 2007 by Fiserv Inc
Jan 2005 - Apr 2007
VP Sales, North America
Provided Sales and operations leadership for $400M – 175 person sales team focused on industrial, retail supply chain solutions that incorporated Wireless WAN, RFID and applied printer technology business in the U.S. and Canada.
- Assessed then replaced 20% of the existing sales force during my first 90 days that drove an overall increase of 18% in new account sales in the first 180 days of the plan.
- Implemented a new Major Account Capture Incentive program that motivated direct sales and partners to identify and close 110 new accounts during 2006 that generated over $79M.
- Created successful strategic and tactics for wireless Division Sales Go To Market Plans for U.S. and Canada
- Responsible for a $40M expense budget to support the $400M annual revenues.
- Focused on Tier 2 retailer strategy to avoid competition and drove $28M in new service revenues and captured 17 new retail accounts. Retail customers included Duane Reade, Family Dollar Stores, Herman Miller, Samsonite, Corporate Express, Circle K, PetsMart, CSK Auto, Vitamin Shoppe, and Ralph Lauren.
- Maintained and grew business with Tier 1 retailers like FedEx, Hallmark Cards, Kroger, Loblaw, Walgreen, IGA Grocers, United Grocers, Ace Hardware, Bass Pro.
- Revised Sales Go To Market strategy by encouraging Direct Sales and VAR’s to lead with Intermec RFID printer solutions to establish a beachhead for other Intermec retail, service and industrial solutions.
- Developed RFID strategy that led to Canadian Government and private industry to team and build world’s first RFID Demo center to demonstrate and test RFID grocery track and trace retail and service solutions.
- Developed new corporate VAR Sales strategy to take new rugged wireless application solution device to retail markets via Mobile Operators.
- Consulted with VAR’s and developed a sales engagement process that resulted in Intermec’s largest RFID software and tag implementation to date.
- Improved existing GM% from 35% to 43% in six months through creative VAR programs, cost reduction programs and dramatic increase in service sales.
Dec 2002 - Jan 2005
Senior Director, Strategic Marketing
Responsibilities included - conception to coffin - product lifecycle management and Sales go to market strategies for the Advanced Data Capture Division. Annual Revenue target was $450,000,000 into global Retail, Industrial, Services and Government verticals.
- Developed and launched global, new retail focused products that included Point of Sale, Retail Micro Kiosk and payment/signature capture solutions.Major retailer wins included Sears, Circuit City, Target, Office Max, Home Depot, Lowes, Canadian Tire, Texaco, Bed Bath & Beyond, BJ’s, Carmax, Foot Locker, Sony, Jones of New York, Starbucks, TJX, and JC Penny.
- Managed a $14M marketing budget that drove annual revenues of $450M.
- Participated as member of Symbol’s Executive Corporate Marketing Council.
- Consulted with Symbol Asia leadership and developed China channel and VAR plans that resulted in 140% year over year revenue growth and investment expansion of six new offices in China. Retail wins included China Tobacco, Wal-Mart, China Lottery.
- Led the development of global Competitive Strategy that has resulted in a 50% market cap decline of primary competitor over past eight months.
- Developed North American Alliance with Microsoft and IBM where Microsoft launched new Tier 2 Retail Point of Sales solution to attack the new 650,000 POS system sales market in the U.S.Microsoft awarded Symbol the Microsoft Partner of the year Award.
- Participated in Symbol and Sensormatic leadership Summit held in 2005. Purpose was to search for additional ways the two organizations could partner together via RFID and EAS.
- Created and delivered Executive presentations to Sears, Circuit City, TJX, Office Max, IBM, Symbol’s Executive Briefing Center, FedEx, Wal-Mart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, J C Penny.
Jan 2000 - Dec 2003
VP, Sales and Marketing - Enterprise and Carriers
Responsibilities included Sales and P& L responsibility for a $240M - 55 person Business Unit.Revenues came from software, professional services and wireless handsets.
- Created and built new VAR channels of distribution while securing trusted relationships with N.A. and Europe based wireless carriers AT&T, Cingular, Bell Mobility and large enterprise customers.
- Closed a $125,000,000 supply agreement with T-Mobile that drove profitable revenue and over-achieved new enterprise and consumer subscriber goals. Then fostered a tight and collaborative working relationship with key stakeholders (internal departments and carriers) to support aggressive geographical expansion and VAR/customer capture targets.
- Established a distribution agreement with T-Mobile and their more than 40,000 retail locations.
- Spearheaded initiative to establish a new direct to VAR sales approach, leveraging existing carrier relationships while setting the stage for explosive growth in hardware, software and services.
- Championed the transformation of RIM’s selling model from a direct to an indirect/VAR sales model, tripling device activations quarter over quarter while endearing the carriers to RIM.
- Convinced carriers to embrace an innovative software solutions and services strategy that resulted in installation of RIM’s wireless software solutions with 2,000 new enterprise accounts, the fastest adoption by a GSM carrier in RIM’s history.
- Developed and implemented a new training program that eased transition of existing support resources from direct enterprise customer support to partner support, satisfying RIM’s need for tight financial controls.
- Established a disciplined internal reporting process that addressed each business unit’s reporting requirements while providing key measurements in a consistent, easy to understand format, allowing prompt actions to be taken to maximize business unit effectiveness.
- Standardized sales reporting process to provide external partners with a quick and accurate snapshot of business performance by specific carrier sales region and Rim sales person.
Feb 1992 - Jan 2002
VP Sales, Internet and Wireless Solutions
Responsible for a 45-person team of wireless sales, marketing and technical professionals. Held P&L for this $440,000,000 handset and software business. Geographic scope included North America and Asia. Handsets included Timeport, Pagewriter, and the Accompli 009 – GSM/GPRS handset.Software included Motorola Messaging Server, WAP and XML Gateway.
- Designed the innovative “Motorola In Motion” for recruiting and retaining a new set of VAR business partners to sell and support Motorola’s wireless software solutions and handsets.
- Overcame serious internal objections by demonstrating the benefits and potential growth capabilities of this new and challenging business model.
- Recruited and built a professional VAR sales and support organization with the technical expertise necessary to quickly gain traction for Motorola’s products and services, kick-starting the sale of $330,000,000 in new revenue.
- Invented and championed an innovative pilot marketing program that generated unparalleled interest in a cost effective wireless communication solution by selling the concept directly to end user enterprises, winning recognition as an excellent example of a “go to market” strategy.
- Negotiated a refurbishment agreement that kept fixed costs down (from $400 to $40 per device) while establishing a benchmark for best practices.
- Led OEM Machine2machine Business Development team, winning over 50 “design-in” awards for imbedding technology in programmable machines to provide remote communication and sensing capabilities.Increased business from $4M to an annual run rate of $14M.
- Won major contracts at Chase Manhattan Bank, FedEx, Sun Microsystems, Antenna Software, WorldCom and Arch Wireless.
- Reorganized the team around vertical markets ensuring the right focus and expertise was in place to stabilize the business and reverse revenue slide within a six month period.
- Outsourced the entire network management (hardware, software and managed services for enterprises) to effectively block Cisco and Nortel competition and drive up hardware margins while creating a market for the network management software solution. Increased overall results by $10M annually.
- Created a 3rd party VAR channel program, recruiting over 60 new partners to sell and support Motorola solutions in Canada.
May 1985 - Feb 1992
VP and GM, Eastern Division
Was VP and GM and held P&L for $220M - 75 person business unit. Reported directly to Country CEO
- Closed and implemented Canada Post’s retail location Parcel Track and Trace application that generated $70M in systems and professional services revenue.
- Adopted and designed a new VAR marketing, sales training and management coaching methodology that better aligned with the decision to focus sales efforts on higher priced, more complex technology. Drove sales increase of 68%.
- Won CEO “Coach of the year” Award for outstanding people development.
May 1977 - May 1985
Senior Sales Representive and Marketing Manager
Held progressive quota sales and marketing management positions within IBM
- Earned eight 100% Clubs for Over Quota achievement and marketing excellence.
- Closed $16M complex computing and applications deal with Uniroyal
- Closed $9M computing deal with G.M.
- Was North American Specialist for Cancan/Catia Business Unit
- Was Guest Instructor at IBM University
Bachelor of Science
- Graduated with Bachelor of Science Degree wit a major in marketing and Accounting
- Won Governor of Michigan Award for Community Involvement
- Finished with a GPA of 3.14