Senior Applications Designer, Team Leader
I started my role with Steelcase Health in 2010 as contract design support. I had been home with my children for four years and was trying to break back into the industry. This position opened up as a three month contract position to backfill another designer who was going on maternity leave.
I had no knowledge of design in clinical space and little experience with planning in the built environment. My base knowledge of Steelcase Inc. product was large. Being a new brand for Steelcase however, I had no knowledge or familiarity with Steelcase Health product. I was essentially starting over. This was an amazing opportunity to learn and grow.
I was still with Steelcase Health two years later. In late 2012, I became interim Team Leader for the group and was promoted to Team Leader officially in Fall of 2014.
I currently balance my time creating insight led design concepts for clinical space, managing the team's workflow and project load, coaching designers on product application and clinical viability, and developing future focused strategies for team development to support the overall brand .
Execute as the functional leader within the design team.
• Delegate design projects to support field sales opportunities.
• Identify individual strengths and growth areas, as well as opportunities for peer to peer learning among team members.
• Manage and mentor contract resources and junior staff to ensure quality design outputs.
• Show trust by promoting individual project ownership.
• Support leadership with data identifying highest areas of impact.
• Lead team strategy development to set clear and sustainable expectations for support in alignment brand strategy.
• Participate in the "Go To Market" team, creating strategies for launching new product.
Support internal teams, the field sales team, the A&D community and the dealer network.
• Create high level design concepts demonstrating research and insight.
• Facilitate design dialogue and guide showroom tours during customer trips to facilitate collaboration, create connections and further the sales process.
• Understand the specials process to provide guidance to dealers in need o custom solutions.
Facilitate training and present new ideas to educate various audiences.
• Present clinical design concepts during the Healthcare Design Conference.
• Plan, coordinate and facilitate design training at dealer sites and at Dealer Design Day annually.
• Develop the clinical design competency for the Dealer Design Services team in Mexico.