- Developing and implementing strategic plans with measurable milestones
- Propelling organizations to national prominence
- Establishing and nurturing long term relationships
- Balancing and optimizing internal and external resources and skill sets
- Using research to identify opportunities and measure results
- Enhancing community relations and philanthropy impact
- Out-thinking vs. outspending the competition
- Delivering exponential revenue growth
- Streamlining processes to create time and cost efficiencies
- Launching new channels and products
- Using technology to accomplish objectives (production, fulfillment, CRM, web, e-store, etc.)
- Selection, negotiation and management of agency partners
- Sharpening the brand story to create a distinctive message in a cluttered category
- Developing integrated and effective messaging platforms
- Creating customer loyalty
- Creating motivational incentive, reward and recognition programs and events
- Utilizing curiosity, tenacity and creativity to build effective business solutions
- Creating and enhancing departmental and corporate culture
- Cultivating a fun collegial atmosphere
- Developing talent and building strong teams
Accomplished business executive with a successful track record in Fortune 100 business environments as well as small and mid-sized entrepreneurial organizations. Know for strategic leadership, organizational development, marketing prowess and fiscal responsibility. Over 25 years experience in retail, consumer products, telecommunications and financial services industries. Proven ability to deliver exceptional results with any size budget
Companies who tackle commodity challenges through service or packaging fascinate me. I am never surprised by the positive effect common sense has in business.I have not met anyone who does not have a valuable skill to contribute if circumstances permit.
I love finding ways to become self-sufficient in areas that makes sense while partnering with external talent to gain a competitive advantage in fields that are not core competencies for an organization.I excel at building strong teams of experts.
If you never fail, you’re probably not trying enough new things.While I am not intimidated by failure, I don’t like to remain in that state for long.I work with both Macs and PCs and am proficient in many business and creative software applications. Being raised by an engineer, getting to the point is something I do well, but I realize it can annoy others.
Innovation, challenge, brainstorming, laughing so hard I cry, warm weather, a great book,
carbs, being comfortable in silence with someone else, new ideas, learning new software, authenticity, kayaking, loyalty, the smell of citrus, making jewelry, integrity, honest conversations, a nice smile, good manners, quick thinking, team players, swimming, dachshunds.
I hold an MBA from the University of Georgia with a concentration in Finance, which I felt was necessary to augment my BBA degree in Marketing from the same institution. I realized that executives, in general, believe marketing professionals do not understand numbers. So, by focusing on Finance in graduate school, I thought I could overcome that roadblock with potential employers. That was a good call.
2009 - Present
A marketing division of West Management Consulting LLC, a sales and marketing organization established in 2000 and headquartered in Santa Fe, NM.
Entrepreneurial consultant engaged in assisting clients with creating actionable, effective and efficient plans to address strategic and tactical objectives.
2011 - Present
Director of Marketing
Responsible for all aspects of brand development and management. Oversee the creation and implementation of marketing programs to grow revenue, retain share and improve customer loyalty. Accountable for identifying market opportunities and building strategies to address them while maintaining the mission of the organization to improve the health of its patients, members and communities.
2009 - 2010
A multi-million dollar online, mail order and brick and mortar purveyor of hardy, unusual and waterwise plants with a nationwide customer base. Established in 1984 and headquartered in Santa Fe, NM.
Responsible for brand strategy, positioning, articulation, creative execution, events, sponsorships, marketing communications, retail signage and POS materials. Also responsible for the elevation of website into an efficient, optimized and robust e-commerce platform.
2004 - May 2009
NYSE traded, national residential mortgage lender focused on the prime, jumbo segment of the adjustable rate mortgage market. $5.2B n volume, #737 on Fortune 1000 (2007)..
Executive ownership of all marketing functions across multiple channels. Responsible for strategic planning, demand creation, brand strategy, advertising, research, customer relationship management and web presence.Created a scalable and flexible marketing support infrastructure.
- Developed a nationally recognized brand
- Staff of 6 suppported a national sales force, over 900 lending partners and 300+ SKUs
- Controlled a $5.0M makreing budget which consistently exceeded revenue generation ans sales support objectives.
- Grew direct origination volue from $2.0B in 2004 to $5.2B in 2007.
- Identified wholesale lending opportunity and launched channel. Year one originations exceeded $1.1B.
- Created borrower loyalty program, Refuse to Lose. First half '07 retention equaled 25% (industry average in 1st half 2007 = 14%).
2000 - 2004
EVP, Chief Marketing Officer
NYSE traded residential mortgage originator in teh Southeast. $5.9B in volume (2004)..
Directed staff of 49 responsible for all all facets of branding, marketing communications, web presence, direct lending, retail, market intelligence, public relations, community affairs and employee engagement.
- Launched $319M IPO - HMB listed on NYSE July, 2004.
- Spearheaded start-up retail alliance channel which generated $2.17B+ (35% of total) in loan volume in 2004.
- Created submission materials earning HomeBanc #39 and #20 placements on FORTUNE® Magazine's 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2003 and 2004 respectively.
- Controlled at $10.0M marketing budget, consistently achieving > 25% marketing ROI.
- Formed The HomeBanc Foundation 501(C)(3) , to optimally manage community involvement expenses and charitable cash flow commitments.
1986 - 2000
Executive Director - Marketing
NYSE traded Fortune 100 communications company. Fourteen years of career advancement within the wireless communication divisions of BellSouth.
Final position was as the senior marketing executive responsible for driving revenue growth for two domestic cellular organizations serving over 7 million customers in 27 markets, 350+ retail locations and 400+ kiosks.Accountable for managing a $125M budget and providing executive direction to a team of 55 headquarters personnel and over 200 regional marketing staff.Conceptualized and executed strategies impacting market research, creative services, advertising, database marketing, promotions, sponsorships, packaging, merchandising and fulfillment.
DIRECTOR: Marketing Information & Programs
Managed a staff of 25.Developed trend analysis, market segmentation, forecasting, predictive modeling, customer profiling and loyalty programs for two companies serving 27 markets.
DIRECTOR: Marketing & Sales Analysis
Directed the annual design, implementation, analysis and tracking of sales compensation impacting 1,400 employees.Developed and implemented corporate promotions as well as incentive and recognition programs.
GENERAL MANAGER: New Business Development
Developed and implemented programs to increase revenues and reduce expenses through new and existing distribution channels.Highlights included launching a real-time billing cellular rental program, a customer marketing program and a National Accounts Sales and Marketing program.
SENIOR MARKETING MANAGER: Wireless Trials
Designed and launched national and international wireless field trials.Key focus on new technologies, applications, operating practices and market segments.
SENIOR MANAGER: International Market Planning
Performed complex analytics including price-demand forecasting, due diligence, market and competitive research and pricing for key strategic partners in Australia, U.K., Venezuela, Chile, Mexico, Demark, Brazil and New Zealand. (Completed long-term overseas assignments.)
ASSISTANT MANAGER: Market Planning
Entry level position in a new mobile communication organization.Responsible for competitive analysis, consumer pricing and marketing programs.
1985 - 1986
Accountable for marketing and product development
1984 - 1985
Federated Department Stores - Richway Division
1982 - 1984
1979 - 1982
Adobe Acrobat Professional
Adobe Photoshop Elements
Adobe Premier Elements
view from Aspen Vista trail - photo by S. Cost