To Whom It May Concern,
Confident that my skills and experience would be a solid match to your qualifications, I have included my resume that outlines my professional history.
I am currently employed within the Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology as a Secretary II, where my responsibilities have been to support the online PSM & MS programs, IOSP Short Course, students, and faculty.
My background contains a number of strengths that I feel would be valuable to the department in this position, including:
- Developing workshops and other educational presentations; many with online components
- Multimedia production (video, audio, quicktime, wmv, etc)
- Familiarity with student support and enrollment processes
- Marketing specialized products to niche audiences (electronically and traditional)
- Web experience that dates back to the early 1990's
I also completed a project for the MSU Land Policy Institute that involved graphic design, layout, and print consultation to MIHELP (Michigan Higher Education Land Policy consortium), for their “State of Michigan Cities” report (see left side of page).
I am dedicated to principles of quality, teamwork, continuous improvement and client satisfaction. Allow me to highlight the diversity of experience I would bring to this position:
- Solid background in media production and designing programs to fit specific audiences
- Training and certification in website design, desktop publishing, image gathering, writing and editing for publications and multimedia presentations; imaging systems and software (Adobe, Macromedia, Quark, AVID)\
- A strong background in technology with solid client support skills; a responsible listener, maintaining an empathetic attitude while creatively troubleshooting issues; problem solving, taking initiative, working as part of a team, and learning for continuous improvement
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; a typing speed in excess of 65 wpm; experience with office equipment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; superior spelling, grammar and business correspondence formatting skills; organizational skills, tact and diplomacy, the ability to anticipate needs of a diverse audience
- Computer hardware and software support, installation; over 15 years with Internet issues, web browsers, email, ftp
Since a resume can neither fully detail all my skills and accomplishments, nor predict my potential, I look forward to speaking with you personally regarding this position.
Please contact me on my cell phone at: 517-667-4536 or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.orgThank you for your time and consideration. Sincerely,Stephen J. Stofflet
Jun 1974 - Dec 1996
Lansing Community College
Dec 2006 - Present
Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology (2/09-current)
Provides direct support of students in the online Professional Science Master's degree program.
Job description: Types, edits, and composes materials, primarily online; establishes and maintains departmental files and maintains calendars, schedules, and the working structure of the office; assists nursing, undergrad, PSM and PhD students, prospective students, faculty, and department financial administrators with academic related concerns.
- Process applications from potential students for online PSM master's program
- Coordinate Summer IOSP Short Course (student applications, course materials, instructor travel plans, food, and events.)
- Coordinate Summer lab course (PHM 832)
- Interface with online students via the web, email and telephone to assist in course questions
- Annual completion review; process design and development (coordinate information between students and instructors)
Office of the Vice President for Finance and Operations (7/07-1/09)
Position specific responsibilities:
- Receptionist (greeted guests, directed to meetings, primary person answering phones for the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Operations and the office of Investments and Financial Management, placed telephone calls as requested, drafted correspondence as needed.
- Provided assistance with: projects or events as needed, scheduling meetings, maintaining/ updating calendars, filing, copying and organizing materials and notebooks, assist with Board of Trustee mailings, arranged travel, reimbursements, etc.)
- Provided support for multiple websites; content creation, logo design, information maintenance
- Environmental Steward and Emergency Coordinator
- Created and edited documents utilizing Word, Excel and PowerPoint as needed
- Supervised student employees; including scheduling, payroll and hiring
- Managed conference rooms; scheduling and technology needs
- Assisted with troubleshooting technology issues for office staff, meetings
- Maintained and updated confidential internal directory
- Routed executed contracts, forms, travel vouchers, etc
MSU Land Policy Institute (12/06-7/07)
Provided design and clerical support to the John A. Hannah Distinguished Professor in Land Policy / Director of the Land Policy Institute: a busy and growing Institute with multiple projects and events occurring simultaneously. Duties included:
- Managing Director's calendar; setup and confirmed appointments; set up meetings
- Arranged local and international travel, processed vouchers
- Prepared materials for publication and submission to journals
- Assisted in publication development, graphics projects, writing, proofreading documents and outreach material development as well as research layout and journal submission; in addition to event planning and activities
Jul 2003 - Nov 2006
Communications & Technology Specialist
Portage, MICommunications: Editor, designer, publisher, writer for The Vision - a quarterly print newspaper with over 6,000 subscribers. Coordinated articles, artwork, verified facts, prepared photographs; maintained mailing list. Editor, writer of weekly electronic newsletter (500 subscribers). Webmaster: designed structure, look and feel; responsible for content creation, editing, maintaining site information. (Please note that the current website does not reflect the design that I created for it; the maintenance was taken over by people unfamiliar with CSS and it has created a somewhat disjointed effect.) Also writing, distribution of all news releases to external media sources; maintained statewide contact list of external media.Technology: Ensured proper functioning of the organization's technology; kept computer equipment, hardware, and software updated to meet organizational needs; maintained inventory of equipment and licenses. Provided technical support to office staff including: maintained, analyzed and repaired computer systems, hardware and computer peripherals; managed network, maintained Internet services, including corporate email. Arranged for external technology purchases and support. Position outsourced due to budgetary issues.