- Architect with corporate research consultancy experience on urban sustainability;
Around 1 yr professional experience as landscape architect under Sentosa Leisure management; designing and planning (Landscape Master Plan for Sentosa Cove and Sentosa Island) for projects and also high-end events.
- 2 years professional experience (July, 2007- June, 2009) in the field of architecture and construction industry; experienced in design coordination, client management, as well as site management, project execution, co-ordination and on-site construction supervision;
- worked on Hospital, Institutional, commercial and residential projects;
Involved in urban planning project – Redevelopment of Connaught Place, New Delhi, India; and Environmental planning project – Lim Chu Kang Eco-village, Singapore; also experience in slam rehabilitation project in India;
- In depth knowledge in Singapore's the Active, Beautiful and Clean (ABC) Waters programme as well as the water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) such as rain gardens, bio-retention system, bio swales and treatment wetland systems in water catchment area to improve receiving water quality.
- Around two years’ research experience (Feb 2010- till date) for research consultancy project; involved in cutting edge research on urban metabolism project fir Jurong Lake District (JLD) project and urban sustainability at the Centre for Sustainable Asian Cities, National University of Singapore (NUS), for projects sponsored by Ministry of National Development MND) and Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA);
In depth knowledge about city specific sustainability indicator (Boston, Seattle, London and so on ) and indicator set for cross city comparison (e.g. Green City Index, City of Opportunity) as well as neighborhood level sustainability assessment tools (e.g. LEED ND, SPeAR, SSIM, BASIX)
Investigated different case studies to review different technologies and analyze policy measures and environmental legislations for sustainable neighborhood planning in Singapore context; extensive research experience on environmental legislation (e.g. legislation on sustainable business; waste energy and water management) of EU and Australia for urban metabolism project;
- Acquired expertise and research proficiency with well-developed analytical skills in Urban Sustainability Assessment and Reporting; Climate change issues; Environmental Impact Assessment;
- Investigated different case studies to review different technologies and analyze policy measures and legislations for sustainable neighborhood planning in Singapore context:
- Investigated PUB’s close-loop water management, and ABC project
- Proposed semi-close-loop water management system;
- Investigated small scale renewable energy generation technology and analysed building bylaws and green building certification sustainable energy management of a neighbourhood;
- Investigated decentralized technologies and identified the behavioural aspects for source separation to enhance the recycling rate;
- Investigated Material Flow Analysis (MFA) for water -energy- waste management for close loop society and economy.
- Developed Social Compatibility Analysis (SCA), the tool to assess the social acceptance of a policy; investigated social compatibility of waste management policies of Hong Kong and Tokyo;
- Master’s thesis: Urban Sustainability Indicators for Kolkata; developed set of indicators and the methodology to quantify the urban sustainability;
- Extensive training in all areas of environmental management (e.g. carbon trading; environmental business and economics, environmental assessment and impact mitigation, environmental law, environmental planning, and environmental science and technology and so on);
- Computer Skills: AutoCAD, PhotoShop, SketchUp, Autodesk Revit Architecture, and Ecotect Analysis, MS-Word, MS-PowerPoint, MS-Excel, Windows 95/98/2000/NT environments.
- Involve in corporate multidisciplinary design & planning team to contribute the decision making process for sustainable urban development;
- Harness the architectural skills along with professional analytical expertise on urban sustainability and environmental management.
- Interested to work on urban sustainability; environmental planning & assessment; project execution, co-ordination and on-site construction supervision sustainable construction, architecture and landscape; EIA/ SEA; decentralized resource and energy management; island sustainability; climate change policies; sustainable business solution (e.g. emission trading, CDM, Eco-labeling, corporate sustainability accounting and reporting, CSR).
National University of Singapore(NUS) Aug, 2009 – July, 2010
Master of Science in environmental Management(MEM)
Study Report on Urban sustainability Indicators for Kolkata
- The study involves identifying and quantifying a wide range of indicators that would explain the capacity for sustainability of urban areas. These indicators are of two types namely Environmental and Social. The measurements of these indicators for selected wards of Kolkata provide insight into the sustainability potential of Kolkata, and also the areas for policy intervention.
- Environmental Master Planning Project for the Sungei Buloh Area, Singapore (Project was awarded with AECOM Book Prize, 2009-2010)
- My contribution in this group project includes: physical planning and consultancy for environmental sustainability and resource management. This master planning exercise had asked for providing key inputs in environmental surveys, environmental impact assessment, applying sustainability and ecological principles, as well as specialized knowledge in, Green technology, water resource planning.
- For Panels, see online: https://sites.google.com/site/somdeepproject/academic-projects
- Urban Sustainability Problem that Asian cities are facing today and the scope of planning intervention
- This assignment has explored the sustainability challenges that Asian cities are facing today due to global changes in the environment, economy, institutional structures and civil society. It also investigated the urban sustainability problem generated from four basic challenges: environmental, social, economical, and institutional. Later it described how such cities can achieve sustainable development through the urban planning process.
- COP-15 and Its impact the business community
- Two most important outcome of COP 15 were identified and their positive and negative influences on different business sector were analyzed. For example its impact of ‘Copenhagen Green Climate Fund’, and Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMA) and funding for REED plus were analysed. Later, its impact on solar Photo-voltaic panel sector was identified.
- Implementation of policy to incorporate Industrial Ecology in a community, as a sustainable development strategy
- In this assignment Municipal Solid Waste Management system of Kolkata, India was examined. From a Business perspective, different Industrial Ecology policies were tried to implement. Existing weaknesses of policy making process to make the project sustainable were indentified and tried to overcome those problems. The main focus of that paper was to implement household level waste separation system. Further it have developed the mechanism for close loop mechanism for paper waste as well as organic waste.
- Legal advises to a company based on Singapore to implement pollution measures
- This assignment has identified legislation relating to Waste Management, Air Impurities, Noise management, Workplace Safety and health. Further, it has also identified the issue of the liability of officers of the company for mishaps; and the possibility of tax advantages for upgrading of their machinery.
- Carbon foot Print Exercise
- This report shall aim to provide an analysis of the Carbon Footprint of National University of Singapore NUSS activities in Singapore and recommend the potential emission reduction measures, which would be sustainable and cost efficient.
- EIA for a Golf Course
- This EIA was con ducted to determine the impacts of developing the proposed 9-hole coastal golf course on Pulau Hantu, Singapore; and whether the golf course can be constructed without undue adverse environmental impacts.
May 2012 - Present
- South Cove Landscape Master Plan [ Responsible for Master Planning; Conceptual Design and Planning; Guideline Development; and Budgeting];
- Intra-island cableway project [Responsible for Landscape Designing; Tender Drawing; Bill of Quantity];
- Assist Sentosa Flower 2013;
- Sentosa Master Planning 2012
Feb 2010 - Jan 2012
- Mainly Responsible for conducting corporate research for the project:
- “Urban metabolism (industrial ecology)”, collaborative research projects with Yale University for Jurong Lake District (JLD) project (See online: <http://www.sde.nus.edu.sg/csac/r5.htm>), and
- “Benchmarks, best practices and framework for sustainable urban development and cities” (See online: <http://www.sde.nus.edu.sg/csac/r7.htm>)
- Analyzed different policy measures for sustainable neighborhood planning for Jurong Lake District project and sustainable city for the cutting edge research on urban sustainability for Singapore;
- Analyzed multi-level (i.e. green product, green building, eco-town, eco-city) eco-certification and sustainability assessment schemes, considering multiple environmental and sustainability criteria (Life cycle of a product, Material Flow Analysis, Waste-Energy-Water Management, Close loop society and economy);
- In addition also responsible for data collection, data analysis, data interpretation and compilation, literature review, survey, as well as arranging interviews and seminars for public consultation process and academic validation.
[Both of the projects are funded and supervised by governmental agency, Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) under Ministry of National Development (MND), Singapore and collaborated with Building & Construction Authority (BCA), Singapore.]
Position: Research Assistant Aug, 2010 – Till date
Project: “Benchmarks, best practices and framework for sustainable urban development and cities” (See online: < http://www.sde.nus.edu.sg/csac/r7.htm>)
- Country level Indicator analysed:
- Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD)’s Core environmental indicators (CEI) and Key Environmental Indicators (Key EI);
- Environmental Sustainability Index (ESI) developed by Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy of Yale University and Center for International Earth Science Information Network of Columbia University (Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy, 2005)
- Indicators of Sustainable Development: Guidelines And Methodologies, developed by United Nation Department of Economic and Social Affairs;
- European Environment Agency (EEA)’s European Environment - State and outlook ;
- United Nations, Commission on Sustainable Development (UNCSD)’s Indicators;
- Sustainable development indicators developed by, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), UK.
- City Level Indicators analysed:
- The Global City Indicators Facility;
- Environmental Sustainability Indicators in Urban Areas developed by National Statistical Institute of Italy;
- Urban Sustainability Indicators of European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions;
- Urban Indicators Guidelines: Monitoring the Habitat Agenda and the Millennium Development Goals developed by United Nation Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat, 2004);
- Sustainability Index for Taipei;
- Boston Indicators by City of Boston’s;
- Sustainable Seattle- Seattle;
- Quality of Life Indicator- Sustainable Development Framework for London.
- Best practice analysis:
- Climate Change plan of London, Chicago, Copenhagen, New York and Toronto
- Waste management system of Hong Kong, Melbourn, Olso, Tokyo, and Amsterdam
- Air quality management of San Francisco, Stockholm
- Develop key learning points for Singapore to enhance its urban sustainable under waste management, air quality management and climate change plan;
- Reviewed and developed the Social Compatibility Analysis (SCA) to access the social acceptance of waste management policies and program, and analyse comparative performance of Tokyo and Hong Kong;
- Prepared proposal for research funding from government agencies of Singapore.
Project: “Urban metabolism (industrial ecology)”, collaborative research projects with Yale University (See online: < http://www.sde.nus.edu.sg/csac/r5.htm>)
- Singapore’s Material Flow Analysis and its implications for the proposed Jurong Lake District
- Research on legislation of Japan, Australia, and European Union along with one of it significant country Germany, pertinent to waste, energy and water management.
- Research on technology review of decentralised energy management; analyse Singapore’s potentiality for decentralised renewable energy technology.
- Case study for District level sustainability and close loop system for waste, water and energy management - European and Australian neighbourhood sustainability analysis:
- Hammarby Sjöstad, Stockholm, Sweden
- Augustenborg, Malmo, Sweden
- Bo 01, Västra Hamnen, Malmo, Sweden
- Vauban, Freiburg, Germany
- Kronsberg, Hannover, Germany
- Decentralised Water Management Initiatives of Sydney Water, Sydney, Australia and Germany
- BASIX, Building Sustainability Index – New South Wales
Position: Graduate Student Researcher Feb, 2010 – June, 2010
Project: “Urban metabolism (industrial ecology)”, collaborative research projects with Yale University (See online: < http://www.sde.nus.edu.sg/csac/r5.htm>)
- Research on Construction and Development waste management
- Desk based research on Singapore’s current construction and development waste management practice and other literature review on construction waste management
- Conduct interview sessions with stockholders involved in construction and development waste management sector
- Case study for waste management of Australia Capital territory (ACT) and Metropolitan Melbourne(Victoria State) of Australia;
Oct 2008 - Jun 2009
RJB Architects Pvt.Ltd.
- Experienced with professional communication for client management and site management;
- Responsible for site inspection; design management: coordination with other disciplines, preparation of master plan, site plan, architectural detailing, landscaping, tender drawing and construction drawings.
- Professionally worked with AutoCAD, Photoshop, and Autodesk Revit Architecture.
- 100 bed hospital for ESIC, Maneswar - Responsible for construction drawing;
- Interstate Bus Terminus at Dharmnagar, Tripura, India - Responsible for submission drawing;
- Lecture theatre complex at IIT, Roorkee, India - Responsible for Coordination with other discipline - Plumbing Electrical, HVAC and working drawings;
- Bio-Technology building at IIT, Roorkee, India - Responsible for Coordination with other discipline - Plumbing Electrical, HVAC and working drawings.
Jul 2007 - Sep 2008
- Responsible for preparation of presentation drawings, designing, architectural detailing, tender drawings, construction drawings, municipal and working drawings and landscaping drawings as well as site plan, coordination with other disciplines.
- Professionally worked with AutoCAD, Photoshop.
- Resort For Mahindra Holidays And Resorts India Limited At Theog, Shimla, India
- Design Competition – Housing and Commercial Complex for HPCL, at HP Nagar Chembut, Mumbai, India
- Design Competition – Proposed Chancery and Residences for Indian Embassy at Bahrain
- Design Competition – Proposed Annex Building for Nuclear Power Corporain of India Limited, at Mumbai, India
- Katra Multimedia Stadium and Commercial Complex, Katra, Jammu, India.
- Multipurpose building at Rail Head Jammu,India
- Design Competition – Indian Institution of Foreign Tread, Kolkata, India
Jul 2006 - Dec 2006
Design Action Group
Worked in the urban planning project - Redevelopment of Connaught Place, New-Delhi India; responsible for the transportation planning part and preparation for different alternatives for the transportation layout and orientation; Also involved for the conservation as well as retrofitting work for the Block C in that project.
Jul 2009 - Jun 2010
National University of Singapore
Acquire extensive training in all areas of environmental management (e.g. carbon trading; environmental business and economics, environmental assessment and impact mitigation, environmental law, environmental planning, and environmental science and technology and so on)
Jul 2002 - Jun 2007
Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch)
Acquire knowledge on Details of Construction; History of Architecture; Climatology; Project Management; Architectural Design.