National University of Singapore(NUS) Aug, 2009 – July, 2010
Master of Science in environmental Management(MEM)
Study Report on Urban sustainability Indicators for Kolkata
- The study involves identifying and quantifying a wide range of indicators that would explain the capacity for sustainability of urban areas. These indicators are of two types namely Environmental and Social. The measurements of these indicators for selected wards of Kolkata provide insight into the sustainability potential of Kolkata, and also the areas for policy intervention.
- Environmental Master Planning Project for the Sungei Buloh Area, Singapore (Project was awarded with AECOM Book Prize, 2009-2010)
- My contribution in this group project includes: physical planning and consultancy for environmental sustainability and resource management. This master planning exercise had asked for providing key inputs in environmental surveys, environmental impact assessment, applying sustainability and ecological principles, as well as specialized knowledge in, Green technology, water resource planning.
- For Panels, see online: https://sites.google.com/site/somdeepproject/academic-projects
- Urban Sustainability Problem that Asian cities are facing today and the scope of planning intervention
- This assignment has explored the sustainability challenges that Asian cities are facing today due to global changes in the environment, economy, institutional structures and civil society. It also investigated the urban sustainability problem generated from four basic challenges: environmental, social, economical, and institutional. Later it described how such cities can achieve sustainable development through the urban planning process.
- COP-15 and Its impact the business community
- Two most important outcome of COP 15 were identified and their positive and negative influences on different business sector were analyzed. For example its impact of ‘Copenhagen Green Climate Fund’, and Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMA) and funding for REED plus were analysed. Later, its impact on solar Photo-voltaic panel sector was identified.
- Implementation of policy to incorporate Industrial Ecology in a community, as a sustainable development strategy
- In this assignment Municipal Solid Waste Management system of Kolkata, India was examined. From a Business perspective, different Industrial Ecology policies were tried to implement. Existing weaknesses of policy making process to make the project sustainable were indentified and tried to overcome those problems. The main focus of that paper was to implement household level waste separation system. Further it have developed the mechanism for close loop mechanism for paper waste as well as organic waste.
- Legal advises to a company based on Singapore to implement pollution measures
- This assignment has identified legislation relating to Waste Management, Air Impurities, Noise management, Workplace Safety and health. Further, it has also identified the issue of the liability of officers of the company for mishaps; and the possibility of tax advantages for upgrading of their machinery.
- Carbon foot Print Exercise
- This report shall aim to provide an analysis of the Carbon Footprint of National University of Singapore NUSS activities in Singapore and recommend the potential emission reduction measures, which would be sustainable and cost efficient.
- EIA for a Golf Course
- This EIA was con ducted to determine the impacts of developing the proposed 9-hole coastal golf course on Pulau Hantu, Singapore; and whether the golf course can be constructed without undue adverse environmental impacts.