HR Management | Employee, Labor Relations | Human Capital Management | Training and Development | Performance Management | Compensation and Benefits | Retention | Healthcare Reform | ACA | Employee Engagement | Recruiting, Hiring | Conflict Resolution | Policy Development | Workers’ Comp | Union Avoidance | Multi-State - Multi-Site | ADP Implementations | Large-scale change management initiatives | M&A integration | Organizational change | Teacher | Servant Leader
More than 15 years as winning HR professional, with Master’s degree, SHRM-CP, PHR, and Six Sigma certifications. Experience producing multi-million dollar additions to the bottom-line. Expertise in human capital management, employee relations, training, and performance management. Several years’ demonstrated successes working effectively with C-Suite to positively impact the growth of the business. Proven communicator who encourages participation with constructive outcomes, looking to help your leadership team work effectively with HR to improve the end product.
As an Adjunct Professor at Kennesaw State University, I effectively share my experiences while educating students in Human Resources Strategy and People Management.
I am an active volunteer with SHRM-Atlanta, Kennesaw State University, Roswell UMC, the GA Department of Labor, and the City of Holly Springs.
I am interested in HR Leadership opportunities. Contact me to talk about how I can help with your HR challenges: 404-791-7454 | Steve.Lovig@gmail.com
· Conserved more than $5 Million in EEOC liabilities; received “Dismissal and Notice of Right to Sue” letters for 98% of EEOC charges over seven years. Delivered $7M+ in savings by instituting formal complaint procedure, training managers on effective communication, conducting investigations, and authoring impactful EEOC position papers, while with ATI Enterprises, Inc.
· Gained $600,000 in savings of healthcare costs in one year, while leading company-wide Healthcare Reform changes, resulting in improved benefits products and lower costs. Analyzed Affordable Care Act changes, developed strategic plans, and timeline for crucial decisions, ahead of 2014-15 deadlines while with ATI Enterprises, Inc.
· Uncovered and recovered more than $95,000 in payroll overpayment errors while providing HR Consulting to DEKRA NA.
· Saved more than $50,000 during HR Consulting role by implementing Workers’ Compensation audit.
· Substantially enhanced bench-strength, talent acquisition, and retention over 18-month period; designed and led company-wide ‘Corporate University’ as well as effective Interview training programs for 120+ managers while with Kaplan.
· Achieved savings of $1M+ within one year by revamping compensation structure for 1,000+ instructors following purchase of 11-campus school group. Spearheaded shift from exempt to hourly instructors, and designed pay scale for each employee while with Kaplan.
· Using Six Sigma processes, played significant role analyzing turnover frequencies in highly promotable groups. Developed exit tracking tools and new processes to determine specific reasons for employees leaving; led team in developing coaching tools to help understand expectations of High-Potential group while with GE.
Jan 2015 - Jan 2018
Certified Professional.Experienced, and Effective Human Resources Leader
Jan 1998 - Dec 2016
PHR-Professional in Human Resources
Certified Professional in Human Resources Leadership
Six Sigma Green Belt
Certified - Targeted Selection Interviewing
- Helping others
- Mountain Biking
- Blogging on Employment and Career Issues
Human Resources Management
Employment Law Compliance
Training and Development
Employee / Management Relations Mediation
I have written some tips on how you can stay at your best while searching for that new great role
This article helps you understand when to doc an employee's pay due to business closings.
I wrote this piece to speak about the improving job rates in the US, and what that means for employee retention issues.
Review this for free tips on preparing your resume
An Incorrect I-9 form can lead to millions of Dollars in fines. One mistake can cost BIG $$$! Use this for details.
Review this list and learn where to file your HR / Personnel paperwork effectively and legally.
Mar 2015 - Oct 2015
- Slowed turnover by 25% via Design and Implementation of “Recruiting, Day-1 Onboarding, and Year-1 Employee Retention Practices”
- As a trusted partner on people, organizational, and business issues, and a significant contributor to leadership in my role as Director of HR, my focus was on Cultivating a High-Performance Culture, leading creative solutions for business challenges
- Developed and put into practice company-wide Job Specifications Initiative, building competencies and expectations, while standardizing tasks across more than 150 separate positions
Sep 1999 - Jun 2015
- Educated Senior-level College students in Human Resources Strategy, Employment Law, and other Business courses
- Taught via classroom, and online platforms; developed curriculum, interactive and effective coursework tools
Jan 2014 - Sep 2014
Provided HR Consulting in employee relations, talent management, policy development, process improvement, and ADP Implementation, ensuring my client’s leadership team focuses on building & sustaining a high performance organization. Previous clients include Atlanta-based Manufacturing facility; Home Improvement Retailer; Wealth Management firm; Private Security Management organization.
Jun 2005 - Mar 2013
Vice President Human Resources and Benefits
Directed all HR functions and activities for over 2500 headcount to support strategic business objectives and comply with labor and employment laws.
- Delivered $10M+ in savings by conducting investigations, and authoring impactful EEOC position papers, instituting formal complaint procedure, and training managers on effective communication
- Drove revenue, as part of Executive Team, from $60M to $300M, from 8 to 22 campuses; 500 to 2500 employees; collaborated with other Executives to grow business with key role in due diligence / integration activity
- Controlled $11M in healthcare purchases; negotiated, selected lowest cost, most effective programs
- Administered $1M HR budget and educated managers on Employment issues, including employment law, effective interviewing, communication techniques, and compensation parity
- Directed, implemented, and managed all HR functions and activities for over 2500 headcount to support strategic business objectives and comply with labor and employment laws
- Provided oversight to Recruiting, Succession and Career planning, Payroll, and Benefits
- HR Director from ’05-‘10; promoted to VPHR 2010; Managed staff of 10
Jan 2000 - May 2005
Manager Human Resources
·Played key role in expanding from 38 campuses in seven states to 83+ locations in dozens of states, resulting in Kaplan Higher Education Corporation becoming leading revenue producer for Kaplan
- Resolved more than 50 disputes, including California, saving more than $1,000,000 in legal fees and court costs
- Developed, implemented, and managed first HR department in organization’s 13-year history
Jun 1995 - Dec 1999
HR Business Analyst / Generalist
·Active participant in extensive Six Sigma training, used to identify business problems, and devise effective and efficient solutions
·Successfully completed several projects, earning Six Sigma Certification
·“Employee of the Year”, based on HR Excellence, (out of 500 eligible) for two consecutive years (‘96 and ‘97)
·Investigated, Mediated and Resolved inquiries on HR issues, healthcare concerns, and harassment complaints, resulting in savings of tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees
· Hand-picked by Senior VPHR; promoted from HR Generalist to Business Analyst