I was responsible for all aspects of technology for a digital payments firm, that was a subsidiary of PayPoint plc and was acquired by Capita in January 2016. We processed over 100 million payments a year (consumer spend over £4.5billion) to an uptime of 99.99%, and provide support to approximately 4,000 merchants.
Scope of role: product development, IT strategy and roadmap, service management, IT operations and infrastructure, network, 1st, 2nd and 3rd line technical support to clients.
Team: 26 staff + 'nearshore' developer partner + several product suppliers
Budget: £3.5m (people related) + £1m (technology)
Dev Toolchain: Java 8, Spring, Angular.js, Obj-C, PHP, Git/GitHub/Stash, Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, TestFlight, CocoaPods, JIRA, Confluence, HipChat
Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Infobright
Systems Management: RHEL (200 virts), puppet, spacewalk, cobbler, satellite, JBOSS/JON, Splunk, Nagios/check_mk, Qualys, Samhain, DDoS mitigation via Akamai
Infrastructure: Cisco ASA/ASR, HP DL series, Brocade, 2 datacentres, AWS
- Removed barriers between ops and dev teams, and began DevOps transformation
- Transitioned 1st/2nd line tech support into a pro-active service management team
- Established an IT roadmap and approach to periodic review and renewal
- Updated BCP/DR management for both IT systems and workplace recovery
- Reduced technology operating budget
- Refreshed systems management tools to improve monitoring (New Relic, Pager Duty)
- Structured and mobilised platform migration project
- Part of core management team who successfully sold the business to Capita in January 2016.