Accomplished non-profit professional and executive with demonstrated experience leading mission-driven organizations and heading major initiatives. Sharp understanding of the Jewish community, along with strong background in fundraising, strategic planning, staff supervision/training, marketing, and project management. Recognized by supervisors, peers, and subordinates as an effective, empowering team leader and consensus builder. Thoughtful, big-picture approach, along with proficient written/oral communication skills, resulting in high-level performance.
Aug 2014 - Present
Chief Operating Officer
Oversee all operational and program aspects of JCYS, a $10M agency founded in 1907 and which serves the Chicago area. Responsibilities include supervising heads of three family centers, Camp Henry Horner and Camp Red Leaf, which collectively offer child care, full- and half-day early childhood programs, afterschool and recreational programming, nine day camp programs, overnight camping, conference center, and camp programs for individuals children and adults with developmental disabilities, emotional and behavioral needs.
Sep 2011 - Aug 2014
Acting Executive Director/Associate Director
- Orchestrated and led eight-month strategic planning process, weaving together board subcommittee and outside educational advisory team spanning multiple disciplines, together with ongoing feedback from agency’s primary funder.
- Wrote comprehensive strategic plan charting path for agency’s future direction.
- Hired five new professionals including senior educators and program support.
- Kept agency within budget ($1.2M) despite 4% decrease in revenue mid-year.
- Engaged board through individual meetings and re-establishing subcommittees.
- Established regular staff meetings and individual meetings to build stronger staff communication and cohesion.
- Increased participation in agency’s signature program by nearly 60% over 2011; wrote grant securing $25,000 in new program funding.
Dec 2006 - Sep 2011
Director, Informal Education Services
- Co-managed all aspects of eighth grade Israel experience trip, including marketing, recruitment, program, staff, parent communication, data management, scholarship, and evaluation.
- Coordinated and executed all details of annual two-day professional development conference.
- Chaired committee convening senior staff of local youth organizations monthly for networking and professional development; led subcommittee that awarded grants for collaborative programming.
- Selected as one of 14 recipients nationally for Jim Joseph Foundation Fellows:
- Leading Educators Online, two-year fellowship program focused on development of online communities of practice, including training in online platforms and webinar facilitation.
- Provided one-on-one consulting to youth professionals on organizational planning, educational programming, and leadership development.
- Provided broad agency support, including marketing materials and co-development of agency web-site; prepared board e-newsletters; assisted in grant applications; introduced various technology solutions.
Jan 2000 - Dec 2006
- Directed educational overnight summer camp with 450 campers and 125 staff members; managed organization’s year-round business and on-site summer operation at 240-acre facility.
- Spearheaded $1.2 million major gifts capital campaign for new gymnasium and swimming pool; developed team of lay leaders and solicited major donors; architected community-wide $100,000 memorial campaign; coordinated annual major fundraising event.
- Earned accreditation from American Camp Association, industry leader overseeing 2,400 camps in 14 major areas, including health and wellness, site and food service, HR, and operational management.
- Secured acceptance into Harold Grinspoon Foundation matching gifts program netting $175,000 in matching funds for capital projects.
- Hired and managed senior educational and program staff and conducted staff training; handled all HR responsibilities.
- Developed annual $1.2 million budget and managed overall financial operation; implemented financial controls including annual audit, payroll service, and expense reporting; reduced operational expenses by more than $100,000.
- Conducted recruitment programs and open houses; produced promotional DVD and CD-ROM; designed and wrote marketing materials and fundraising literature.
Managed multiple capital improvement projects, including new gymnasium, swimming pool, staff housing, outdoor synagogue, zip line, and bathing facilities; coordinated scope of design, competitive bidding, architectural work and consultation, contract review, and oversight of general contractors.
Apr 2000 - Jan 2001
- Wrote editorial content for Jewish web site, including news, features, and personal column.
- Developed feature and story ideas, and hired and managed freelance writers.
Sep 1995 - Apr 2000
Campaign Associate/Staff Writer
- Wrote news and feature stories for monthly newsmagazine with circulation of 40,000.
- Conducted fundraising events at local synagogues.
Marketing for School Opening Institute (program for 400 supplementary school teachers)
Recruitment postcard mailed to prospective 8th grade trip participants
Recruitment flyer for 8th grade Israel trip
"Advertisement" promoting new video
Promotional Video - 2006
Fundraising literature for memorial synagogue campaign
Advertisement promoting more choices for camper families
Video produced for annual dinner in March 2011, now also on agency web site.
Promotional flyer for Hebrew language course
email blast highlighting new posts on CFJE website
Daily journal of 2011 weeklong eighth grade Israel experience program.
Program schedule for annual professional development conference
Postcard-size handouts designed for 60-second engagement at community folk festival.