Dr. Sven Bostyn
Professor of Law, University of Liverpool
• Worked with a team of officers administering all aspects of individual insolvencies as part of the Individual Insolvency and Debt Repayment Scheme Division of the Insolvency & Public Trustee’s Office.
• Liaised with other government agencies, law firms and creditors with respect to case administration matters.
• Conducted periodic reviews of cases to assess their suitability for a discharge from bankruptcy
• Tasked with identifying and realizing a bankrupt’s known assets such as bank accounts, shares, insurance policies and real estate among others.
• Drafted affidavits for cases where the debt size exceeds $500,000
• Trained under the guidance and supervision of Peter Fernando, a senior criminal lawyer in Singapore
• Tasked with researching and analysing various points of law pertaining to criminal matters.
• Assisted with drafting notes during interviews, and observed how a defence is pieced together
• Given an in-depth understanding of various elements of criminal ranging from matters that involved corporate corruption to capital drug offences.
• Was familiarised with various aspects of criminal litigation which included the drafting of court documents and understanding the procedural elements involved in filing a criminal case and appeal
• Worked with the Regional Legal Counsel team for Asia Pacific
• I was tasked with summarising contracts, making them brief and more easily understandable for those working within the commercial division in Dentsu
• Assisted the Legal team by updating their Clients Conflicts Matrix which contained all the non-compete clauses from contracts with Dentsu's clients.
• Created a visual infographic to familiarize individuals engaging into contracts with clients regarding the necessary procedure and steps that ought to be followed to ensure the contract followed guidelines set out by the legal team
• Here I was exposed to the commercial aspect of the law and I witnessed first-hand, how Company, Contract and Commercial Law was applied.
• My experience here exposed me to how the law is applied outside of a courtroom, within a corporation.
• Broadened my perspective on the law as I observed how business needs had to be accommodated within a contract and how company policies and principles came into play.
• Worked under a senior lawyer and his team of associates in Singapore
• Dealt with Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Family Law and Corporate Law.
• Tasked with drafting affidavits and conducting case research
• Enhanced my familiarization of Singapore’s Rules of Court through research. There were several instances where I was asked to conduct in depth research into specific Rules and how they could be applied.
• Submitted a weekly report detailing areas of law covered over teh course of the week, and what I had learnt through my experiences.
• This internship gave me a better idea of what it is to work in specific areas of law namely – Civil Litigation, Corporate Law and Family Law through my court and meeting attendances with the associates at the firm.
- Shadowed under a barrister in Singapore
- Dealt with matters under Commercial Litigation, Corporate law and Intellectual Property Law
- Attended client meetings and was given the opportunity to work with a senior lawyer in drafting an affidavit for a case
- Conducted research for specific issues in the areas of Intellectual Property Law and Corporate Law
- Was given the opportunity to attend hearings in the Family Courts, Islamic Courts and the Supreme Court of Singapore and given a better understanding of the etiquette lawyers had to observe within courts.
- Allowed me to practically apply the legal research techniques I had been taught in University
- My internship here greatly enhanced my understanding of the Singaporean legal system and business culture.
- Improved my communication skills and legal research skills
- Began prior to my Foundation Law Course
- Gave me an understanding of what it is to be a lawyer in Singapore
- Helped set up and organise client meetings
- Handled basic administrative duties
Graduated with 2:1 overall
Subjects taken in my final year included Intellectual Property Law, Law & Economics, Medical Law, Violence Against Children in Cyberspace, Law & Social Justice
Graduated with 72% overall
Subjects covered included Politics, Contract Law, Tort Law, Legal Systems