Senior HR executive with over 20 years of dynamic HR leadership in the financial services and manufacturing sectors. Successful track record in leveraging the HR function as a strategic advantage, both as an internal HR professional and as an independent HR consultant to businesses of all sizes, industries and stages of growth.
Oct 2002 - Present
Principal in business providing human resource management consulting services, coaching, and HR products to business and individual clients.
- In 2008, consulted with 2 hedge funds; planned, implemented and documented group terminations for a hedge fund in New York.
- In 2003 and 2004, consulted full-time for a number of financial services companies, completing projects involving internal investigations, development of policies and procedures, employee relocation, employee job descriptions and classifications (exempt vs. non-exempt), and diversity.
- Consulted with small business owners in such as areas as workers compensation, unemployment compensation claims, employee handbooks, and employee separations.
- Consulting business was placed on inactive status during employment with Magnetar Capital LLC.
Nov 2009 - Oct 2010
Director of Administration
First full-time HR professional to head this function which included HR, compliance, corporate risk, document management, safety/security and facilities.
* Successfully led internal response team for the firm's first SEC exam as a Registered Investment Advisor.
* Coordinated the first-ever compensation review for the front office and firm-wide benchmarking.
* Developed and implemented formal policies, procedures and programs to support the firm's growth to over
100 employees, including Family Medical Leave, recruiting, on-boarding, and exit procedures.
* Re-engineered the performance management process and instruments to better align with annual
goal-setting and to be more efficient.
* Coached key managers and employeesfor leadership development and effective problem-solving.
Jan 2005 - May 2008
Head of Human Resources
- Played a strategic role in developing corporate values, enterprise systems and processes, employee communications, and support structures of the firm.
- Designed, negotiated and implemented a competitive employee benefits program for the US and the UK, including health, dental, vision, life, LTD, 401k, EAP, and international travel insurance.Also established competitive employee benefits for the three Asia offices.
- Developed and rolled out policies and procedures in the US, the UK, China, Tokyo and Singapore; personally addressed and resolved all employee relations issues across the seven offices.
- Launched a performance management system for the company, as well as initial training and/or coaching programs to meet specific needs.Developed a robust talent management plan, including 360° feedback, high potential and leadership development, and ongoing training and development.
- Developed and manage all other HR-critical services, including compensation administration, personnel administration, immigration administration, relocation, employee separations, etc.
- Acted as the Facilities Manager (in addition to my HR responsibilities).Co-directed two major office build-outs and managed the ongoing office management function across all locations.
2001 - 2002
Led the HR function for this high-growth hedge fund, with $12 billion AUM and 600 people in 6 locations, including London and Tokyo. Managed and developed a department staff of 29 people.
- Re-engineered the professional recruiting process and grew the campus recruiting program.
·Selected and rolled out an entirely new benefits program for all employees.
·Developed an international HR function for London and Tokyo, including benefits coverages, employee handbooks, and ongoing employee relations.
·Designed and implemented an immigration policy and relocation program to support the new London and Tokyo business units.
·Designed a new annual performance management process, and started a training department within HR.
2001 - 2001
Knight Trading Group
Managed the newly centralized HR Generalist team to deliver HR products and services to a population of 1,400 managers and employees in various locations across the U.S.(Family emergency required relocation to Chicago.)
- Developed and implemented new HR policies in support of integrating all newly acquired businesses and the parent company into a “one company” organization.
- Rolled out Sexual Harassment Prevention consultant-led training for all managers, and developed a computer-based presentation for individual employee training.
- Initiated development of a computer-based performance management system.
Mar 2000 - Nov 2000
Chief Human Resources Officer
Managed the HR and Office Services functions for a newly formed company offering internet-based HR, payroll, and benefit services.
- Designed and implemented core HR, and office management systems during high growth period.
- Served as HR content expert, in the development, testing and rollout of the company’s core payroll, HRIS, benefits, and employee administration products.
- Grew the firm from start-up status to 140 employees; then directed the outplacement of over 100 people upon the sale of the company to Intuit.
Feb 1992 - Mar 2000
Executive Director, HR
Served in various management capacities for UBS AG, a global investment banking firm.
- Enjoyed a strong reputation as a highly effective and well-respected HR professional, rising from Employee Relations Manager in the Chicago office of O’Connor Partners to Executive Director, HR, in the UBS, North American Headquarters in Stamford, CT.
- Served as a senior business partner to the U.S. Equities business areas, guiding all HR-related planning, organizational strategy, services and processes.
- Managed all HR activities through four mergers (SBC, SG Warburg, Dillon Read, and UBS) for the Equities team.Also, successfully relocated the New York City Equities business to Stamford, Connecticut.
- Managed legal risk in a proactive and decisive manner, resulting in no serious legal or public relations damage for the organization.
- Served as a dynamic and impactful leader within the U.S. and global HR function for UBS, helping drive best practices throughout the organization and grooming more junior HR professionals for advancement.
1985 - 1992
Manager, Corporate HR
Managed the Recruiting, Employee Relations, Performance Management, and Human Resource Development functions for this family-owned manufacturing firm.
·Designed and conducted ongoing comprehensive training and coaching programs on a company-wide basis, tailored as appropriate to the specific needs of (a) managers, (b) manufacturing personnel, and (c) corporate personnel.
·Implemented Organizational Review process across all divisions to develop succession plans and the necessary development action plans for all key positions.Trained and coached managers to implement the programs more effectively.
·Served as HR manager during a new plant start-up, including hiring 300 people and implementing the training activities for all new personnel to meet aggressive production goals and safety requirements.
·Successfully secured labor-training grants which minimized costs for a new manufacturing plant in Wisconsin; documented every job on the manufacturing floor and set up training protocols for each.
·Successfully resolved all employee relations issues, performance problems and disciplinary proceedings for the manufacturing, customer service, and industrial sales functions.
·Developed and conducted training and development programs for the Industrial Sales Force; planned and implemented annual sales meetings at varying U.S. locations.