Versatile news professional with extensive experience in project management and deadline editing. Effective team player with outstanding writing and communications skills. Hands-on leader who is able to motivate staff while maintaining esprit de corps.
Jan 2009 - Present
- Department head responsible for business and financial coverage at the nation's 15th largest newspaper.
- Oversaw launch of a new, daily section called Your Business, which focuses on personal finance, consumer issues, and technology.
May 2000 - Dec 2008
Special Projects Editor
- Oversaw investigative reporting and special projects, as well as the newspaper's computer-assisted reporting efforts; supervised creation of an extensive in-house database of federal, state and municipal records.
- Led coverage that resulted in the conviction of former Newark Mayor Sharpe James on corruption charges, the overhaul of New Jersey's workers' compensation system, the passage of legislation requiring hospitals to make infection rates public, and the dismantling of the state's school construction agency for waste and mismanagement.
Jul 1987 - May 2000
Assistant Managing Editor, features
- Managed a 35-member department that produced 12 feature sections each week.
- Created new daily entertainment section and redesigned Sunday TV book.
- Earlier served as entertainment editor, assistant sports editor, assistant state editor and general assignment reporter.
Sep 1984 - Jul 1987
- Covered Stamford City Hall and regional government.
Jan 1983 - Aug 1983
- Covered county government and courts.
Oct 1980 - Jul 1982
- Worked with agencies to develop and produce point-of-sale advertising material.
Media Management Center
- Attended two-week program for mid-career journalists moving into management positions.