First Christian Church
- Oversight of 5 Ministerial (Youth, Children, Worship, Connections, LifeGroups) and 5 Administrative Staff (Office Manager, Admin Asst, Housekeeper, Financial Secretary, and Property/Maintenance) and yearly budget of $518,000, of which 12+% goes to Missions.
- During 9 years of a ministry of prioritizing the proclamation of God's Word, He has blessed us with tremendous growth:
- Worship attendance has increased over 80%, from 220 to 400, averaging 9% growth/yr (in community with negative population growth), from 1 service to 3.
- 275 additions: about half baptisms and half transfers/memberships
- Giving has increased 90%, from $5,500/week to $10,500/week. We have gone from an average deficit (income vs. expenses) of almost $40,000 per year for over 20 previous years to current positive cashflow of $10,000 average in the black ($35,000 surplus during 2009 and 2016, e.g.)
- We have twice raised over $100,000 (beyond regular budgeted operating expenses) for capital campaigns.
- Increase in Church Staff: have added Children's Minister, Worship Minister, Connections, Administrative Assistant, Facilities/Maintenance, LifeGroups, and Ministry Interns.
- $250,000 building renovation: Kids, Youth, Worship, Connections, Prayer/Care, Admin, 2016-2017.
- Currently considering implementation of major recovery ministry, additional worship services, and multisite options.
- Catalyst Coffee Company — Initiated vision to launch marketplace ministry in early 2014—a nonprofit whose first iteration, Catalyst Coffee Company, is a coffee shop on our community's downtown square that is a catalyst in our community. First Christian Church has funded it in its entirety—over $100,000. Our motto is "Brewing great coffee. Pouring into our community." We give away 100% of profits to support already existing community nonprofits and ministries and to create space for rubbing shoulders with our community in ways we never otherwise would. God has blessed our efforts already. We've seen new people at church. There are numerous redemptive conversations happening daily. Almost three years in, we are headed toward making money soon and have begun giving away some funds to support local outreach. We've been featured in newspaper and magazine articles. We are pleased how God is using Catalyst to extend His Kingdom and serve our community!
- Implemented new vision, concepts, processes, and accountability structures to improve ministry effectiveness.
- From a long and unused paragraph to which no one paid the slightest attention, to the "3C Life" of "Making Disciple Makers: Celebrate God, Cultivate Growth, Communicate the Gospel", to the "9 Habits" of "Helping people find and follow Jesus", (see 9Habits.org)
- Connections processes: The Hub, 3-Minute Welcome, 30-Minute Lunch, 3CLIFE Class, Sermon Wrap-Up Class, Simple Church Class
- Discipleship settings: from traditional Sunday School (with one curriculum) to modular Study Groups (with many curricula) to sermon-based LifeGroups at church/in homes
- Worship environments: careful transition from fully traditional to a blended-contemporary service, from piano and organ to a full range of instruments and styles, and from detached to passionate and lively engagement
- Staffing: Weekly Staff Top Ten(ish) Accountability Questions, Weekly Staff Meeting and Lunch, Staff Evaluations, Job Descriptions, Staff Retreat, ongoing education, training, development. Have also transitioned 5 people from staff positions to being... not staff.
- Technology: transition to and maintenance of online presence and administrative management: website, membership/financial database, social media, collaborative project management
- Finances: yearly audit, improvement of numerous processes of accountability and openness of records, and much greater oversight