- Trivia (particularly good at pop culture and U.S. History)
- Sports: Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, and University of Illinois Fighting Illini
- Music: Elton John, Billy Joel
- Avid reader (I read Newsweek magazine cover to cover every week)
- Enjoy spending time with my wife and 2 children.
"People like Scott are few and far between, so when you get the opportunity to have one work for you, you have to be smart enough to latch on to him. Scott is someone who accepts new challenges with a certain amount of energy and enthusiasm that is rarely seen these days. He has been a crucial member of the team and will be a welcome addition to any organization lucky enough to have him"Comments of former supervisor
"Scott has a work ethic that is to be admired. In addition, Scott has an easy-going personality that makes him a pleasure to work with. He is serious about his work, but knows how to ease the tension with a witty observation just when it is needed the most."
Comments of former supervisor
See additional recommendations in my LinkedIn profile.
Highly-productive, creative and versatile marketing and communications professional with 10+ years experience producing and executing integrated marketing strategies that improve brand equity, generate qualified sales leads, motivate internal stakeholders, and make effective use of resources to maximize profitability.
Oustanding writer; clear and effective communicator; team player; problem solver; and quick learner.
Areas of Expertise:
copywriting; high-impact print and electronic marketing collaterals; media placement; public relations; media relations; event management; web content management; search engine optimization; permission-based e-mail marketing; social media strategies; market research; direct mail; database management; point-of-sale(POS) merchandising; customer relationship management (CRM); government relations.
Nov 2003 - Present
Plan, execute, and manage all corporate external and internal marketing and communications activities for privately-held manufacturer of decorative surfacing materials, including advertising, direct mail, internet and e-mail marketing activities, event and trade show management, public and media relations, and market research.
Summary of Accomplishments:
- Established corporate brand identity resulting in niche market dominance and premium price-point positioning for highly commoditized product line.
- Produced and executed multi-channel integrated marketing campaigns that have generated approximately 2,000 qualified sales leads per month and enabled 8% growth year-after-year in a stagnant industry.
- Efficiently managed marketing budget contributing to a 60% increase in company profitability since 2003;
- Initiated an internal corporate brand audit to study employee perceptions of company and its policies. This study led to a comprehensive revision of the corporate employee manual, employee benefits package, and annual employee evaluation process.
- Increased trade media coverage by 50% through the development of a structured press relations program, expanded media list and editorial outreach, and production of fact sheets, press releases and press kits.
- Partnered in the development and execution of new enterprise-wide CRM system (Salesnet.com), which improved effectiveness of the external sales team, sales forecasts, market intelligence, project/sales tracking and client data management.
Oct 2001 - Dec 2003
Account Manager/On-Air Host
Sold and marketed radio advertising and on-air sponsorships calling on new and existing clients for both trade and cash accounts. Also, served as on-air host and producer of local sports broadcasts and sports talk show.
May 1999 - Jul 2003
Strategic Communications Associate
Developed and executed community relations and public information efforts designed to promote Office of Attorney General (OAG) programs and publicize Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan's policy initiatives.
Summary of Accomplishments:
- Produced a nationally-recognized initiative to restrict children's access to ultra-violent video games. Resulting national media coverage led several big-box retailers to either stop selling such games or enforce a "carding" policy to avoid selling them to young people. Also, conducted a concurrent public education campaign aimed at informing parents of the content in these ultra-violent games.
- Orchestrated development and acquisition of print and outdoor advertising to support Attorney General Jim Ryan's anti-smoking initiative funded in part from Illinois' $9.1 billion settlement with tobacco companies.
- Managed the re-design of OAG website in 2001 including supervision of internal copywriter, graphic designer and HTML programmer resulting in a more constituent-friendly browsing experience.
- Initiated a bi-monthly interoffice newsletter.
- Provided logistical and media advance support for Attorney General Jim Ryan Safe to Learn grant announcements and OAG sponsored events and forums.
Apr 1997 - Jun 1999
News Reporter/Sports Director
General assignment news reporter and midday news anchor. Concurrently served as station Sports Director.
Aug 1995 - Apr 1997
General assignment news reporter and afternoon news anchor
Apr 1995 - Aug 1995
Streator Broadcasting Company