My combination of leadership skills from directing Agile development teams coupled with deep technical knowledge and a hands on skill set make me uniquely qualified to both manage and contribute technically to delivering business value to customers in short release cycles. I am interested in opportunities that allow me to utilize both of these talents Remote work opportunities welcome.
My main interest outside of my professional life is spending time with my wife and two young daughters. We love to take nice vacations yearly.
I also enjoy fitness and golf.
Mar 2011 - Present
Director, Community Management
I currently direct an Agile development team to deliver a supplier relationship management application written in Ruby on Rails. The team consists five Ruby on Rails engineers, two web developers, three testers/automators, two support engineers, and three offshore Ruby on Rails engineers. I function as the ScrumMaster for the team, performing the following duties:
- Run the daily scrum meeting
- Work with the product owner to groom the product backlog
- Facilitate release and iteration planning
- Hold retrospectives
- Hold sprint demonstration meetings
- Work closely with the team to remove any impediments to progress
- Help with exploratory testing during the current sprint
- Maintain and configure tools such as JIRA, GreenHopper, and Confluence
- Triage customer support issues as they arrive and decide to patch, incorporate in current sprint, or defer
Jul 2009 - Mar 2011
Director, Agile Testing
I was responsible for agile software delivery and overall quality of RollStream's supplier relationship management application written in Ruby on Rails.
My team employed an automation strategy consisting of Cucumber, Watir, Capybara, and Selenium 2.0/WebDriver. We achieved about 50% to 60% coverage of our application through this automation, and our agile team achieved 75% coverage of the application from Rails test/units and test/functionals. This level of automation allowed us to deliver business value to our customers every six weeks. My duties included:
- Making go/no-go decisions about product releases
- Hands on automation using the tools mentioned above
- Exploratory testing and defect reporting
- Planning releases and iterations
- Helping with backlog grooming
- Setup Continuous Integration servers such as Jenkins and CruiseControl.rb
- Working closely with Customer Support to triage support issues & plan and test patches
* proficiency in Mac OS/X, Windows, Linux
Oct 2007 - Jun 2009
Sr. Director, Quality Assurance
Third employee of a Ruby on Rails, Web 2.0 startup aimed at building the best professional, online representation of an individual. You are reading a VisualCV right now! For more information about the company, visit the VisualCV home page or watch the VisualCV In Plain English video.
Led a team of three testers in a hands on testing position, in a fully Agile environment. Our approach to development didn't strictly follow one Agile paradigm, but our methodology most closely mimicked Scrum.
Day to day operations included morning stand up meetings, development of user stories and their implementation using a Cucumber/WaTIR framework, manual test case definition and execution, and defect reporting & verification.
I participated as a member of senior management team responsible for defining product strategy & roadmap, making personnel decisions, and contributing to business model development and definition, among other things.
Sr. Director, Quality Control
Responsible for quality of all of Plateau's software products. Managed a team of approximately 26 testers and managers in the U.S. and Bangalore, India.
2005 - 2007
Sr. Engineering Director
- Director of the Automation team, responsible for infusing efficiencies into webMethods' Product Development organization
- Implemented automated solutions using webMethods products and open-source third-party tools
- Managed a distributed team across multiple time zones, including Bangalore, the Bay area, Seattle, Denver, and Fairfax
- Automated much of the Release Engineering activities, using tools like Ant, Cruise Control, and JUnit
2002 - 2005
- Responsible for quality of all webMethods' software and processes
- Managed a team of 34 test professionals and managers in 5 different offices across the US, comprising 20+ individual products
- Led team to implement automation strategies using various tools to reduce manual test case execution
- Interfaced with QA team in our India Development Center in Bangalore, India
- Responsible for measuring quality effectiveness and driving quality improvement initiatives across the organization