Electrical Engineering Intern
PowerCore Engineering Ltd.
Field Engineering Services:
- Performed substation preventative maintenance testing and inspections for both Low and Medium Voltage systems in order to maintain safe and reliable operation.
- Managed small teams to complete services under strict time constraints.
- Provided emergency support to customers for variable frequency drives, protective relays, circuit breakers, and a variety of power quality issues.
- Commissioned various Switchboards, Transformers, Motor Control Centers, Co-Gen units and Drive Systems.
Power System Analysis:
- Utilized Paladin Designbase software (formerly EDSA) to conduct Short Circuit Calculations, Arc Flash Hazard Analysis, Protective Device Coordination, Load Flow Analysis, and On Load Tap Changer Optimization Studies.
- Provided thorough reports and recommendations for the analysis performed.
Design and Build Projects:
- Designed various drive systems for specific applications.
- Created panel layouts and schematics using AutoCAD Electrical.
- Selected and procured parts such as VFDs, transformers, circuit breakers, fuses, relays, power supplies, PLCs, etc.
- Managed the panel build of numerous projects and commissioned the system after integrations - Verifying that all protection is working properly and testing the system to verify proper operation.
- Reviewing the systems with inspectors for both Pre-Start Health and Safety Review (PSR or PSHSR) as well as field evaluation for electrical safety.
- Provided Emergency onsite troubleshooting for various Protective Relay and Automation/Drive issues.
- Effectively programmed PLCs and HMIs to ensure efficient and reliable operation of single and multi- drive systems.
- Acted as Liaison between customers, their local distribution companies and IESO for SaveOnEnergy and Industrial Accelerator Program Incentives.
Example Projects: AC and DC Traction Motor Test Stations, Mining Winches, and Winder Systems.