Vice President of Engineering
- Provided leadership and set the technology direction for a telecommunications carrier’s carrier operating in the North East & Mid Atlantic markets. Reported directly to the Chief Executive Officer. Products included high speed private line telecommunication services including SONET, wavelengths, and carrier Ethernet services as well as datacenter equipment collocation. Led a department of four managers and twenty engineers.
- Ensured the Engineering department was prepared to support NEON’s double digit revenue growth. Developed detailed departmental plans for managers to execute, provided direction for the network architecture team to evaluate and introduce new technologies, interacted closely with and provided feedback to Operations & Service Delivery group principals to meet corporate objectives collectively. Actively participated in setting the direction for and the day to day running of the company through my interactions with other members of the Sr. Management team including Sales, Legal, Human Resources, and Finance.
- Overall Engineering responsibilities included: SONET and Optical Transport Engineering, Network Architecture, AC & DC Power Systems Engineering, Facilities Engineering, Environmental Compliance, and Off-Net Circuit Provisioning. Ensured transport & power capacity was available on all parts of the network in advance of need. Actively participated in the design and architecture of all portions of the network: optical, transport, and power.
- Member of the corporate capital expenditures committee; sponsoring, reviewing, and approving corporate capital expenditure projects. CapEx budget in 2007 was approximately $20M. Negotiated contract pricing with major equipment vendors as well as leased capacity suppliers. Other corporate responsibilities included department budgeting, headcount planning, business process development, and assessing and scheduling personal development of the Engineering staff.
- Participated in Metro Ethernet Forum standards body as a representative for the company. Led successful MEF 9 +14 Ethernet Private Line & Ethernet Virtual Private Line certification programs. Presented at NxtComm 2007 on Carrier Ethernet as well as made other public presentations during the year.
- Worked closely with Marketing to develop and deploy new services such as the rollout of Carrier Ethernet. Oversaw new technology selection based on new service price points, vendor & product maturity, and the ability to meet the performance criteria of the new service.
- Member of the corporate due diligence team. On the sell side, prepared materials in support of due diligence activities, presented overviews on the company’s network and interacted with potential suitors on road shows. On the buy side, reviewed and characterized potential acquisition’s network architecture, equipment and design choices, potential for network fit, and for value creation opportunities. Involved in six opportunities in total.