- Former technology executive for NEON Communications, a $250M publicly traded fiber optic based telecommunications carrier with ~$80M in annualized revenue.Acquired by RCN in Nov 2007.
- Expert network architect in the areas of optical networking, SONET and DWDM transport networks, IP / MPLS and carrier Ethernet networks. Ten years of network design & architecture experience.
- Ability to lead and manage effectively through periods of constant change.Remained with company throughout the tech bubble of ‘99, subsequent bankruptcy, reemergence as a private company, and through merger then divesture of a hosting and datacenter business.
- Successful leader with solid education in Electrical Engineering, Business Administration, and with strong business experience including start-up and M&A.14 years experience including Engineering, Manufacturing, Service Delivery, Quality Control and Product Design.
- Objective: A senior technology position where I can leverage my telecom experience. Areas include network design & architecture, carrier Ethernet, technical marketing, and business development. Also interested in international positions in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, the UK and the Netherlands.
2006 - 2007
Vice President of Engineering
- Provided leadership and set the technology direction for a telecommunications carrier’s carrier operating in the North East & Mid Atlantic markets. Reported directly to the Chief Executive Officer. Products included high speed private line telecommunication services including SONET, wavelengths, and carrier Ethernet services as well as datacenter equipment collocation. Led a department of four managers and twenty engineers.
- Ensured the Engineering department was prepared to support NEON’s double digit revenue growth. Developed detailed departmental plans for managers to execute, provided direction for the network architecture team to evaluate and introduce new technologies, interacted closely with and provided feedback to Operations & Service Delivery group principals to meet corporate objectives collectively. Actively participated in setting the direction for and the day to day running of the company through my interactions with other members of the Sr. Management team including Sales, Legal, Human Resources, and Finance.
- Overall Engineering responsibilities included: SONET and Optical Transport Engineering, Network Architecture, AC & DC Power Systems Engineering, Facilities Engineering, Environmental Compliance, and Off-Net Circuit Provisioning. Ensured transport & power capacity was available on all parts of the network in advance of need. Actively participated in the design and architecture of all portions of the network: optical, transport, and power.
- Member of the corporate capital expenditures committee; sponsoring, reviewing, and approving corporate capital expenditure projects. CapEx budget in 2007 was approximately $20M. Negotiated contract pricing with major equipment vendors as well as leased capacity suppliers. Other corporate responsibilities included department budgeting, headcount planning, business process development, and assessing and scheduling personal development of the Engineering staff.
- Participated in Metro Ethernet Forum standards body as a representative for the company. Led successful MEF 9 +14 Ethernet Private Line & Ethernet Virtual Private Line certification programs. Presented at NxtComm 2007 on Carrier Ethernet as well as made other public presentations during the year.
- Worked closely with Marketing to develop and deploy new services such as the rollout of Carrier Ethernet. Oversaw new technology selection based on new service price points, vendor & product maturity, and the ability to meet the performance criteria of the new service.
- Member of the corporate due diligence team. On the sell side, prepared materials in support of due diligence activities, presented overviews on the company’s network and interacted with potential suitors on road shows. On the buy side, reviewed and characterized potential acquisition’s network architecture, equipment and design choices, potential for network fit, and for value creation opportunities. Involved in six opportunities in total.
2001 - 2006
Sr. Director Of Engineering
- Directed twenty person team responsible for:Acquisition of lit circuit and dark fiber routes to augment the network, engineering of inside plant facilities, HVAC and power capacity upgrades, UPS and power systems, network fault alarm engineering, acquiring additional collocation space, on-net and off-net circuit provisioning, meeting on time delivery dates, ensuring Engineering records and database are accurate and audited regularly.
- Managed CapEx planning and spending for Engineering; approximately $7M in 2006.Prepared and presented business cases to the executive team to secure funding for capacity overbuild projects.Managed vendor relationships with major suppliers and negotiated contract pricing and service contracts.Developed product costing information and led technology selection for new product development process.Oversaw the equipment lab where new technologies are reviewed and tested prior to introduction into the active network.
- Over a two year period, led the transport & datacenter network integration, then diversification, of assets associated with Globix Corp., an ISP datacenter hosting business NEON merged with.Integrated optical networks, processes and job functions, then assisted with separation & divestiture as these units were sold off.
- For the Globix division, supported ISP datacenter facilities in California, New York, and London, UK.Provided engineering support including HVAC capacity upgrades, datacenter facility expansions, SAS-70 certification, IP transit network transport solutions, and commercial power upgrade engineering work.
1999 - 2001
- Designed SONET and DWDM fiber optic networks as NEON began its backbone network build out.Joined when company was a twenty-five person start-up company just post IPO.Built up the Network Engineering function for the firm, hired engineers and established engineering standards for the department.
1998 - 1999
Fiber Optics Engineer
·Preformed design and layout of fiber optic routes for Cox’s Hybrid Fiber Coax network overbuild of the Rhode Island market.Prepared optical loss budgets; engineered analog laser system levels, designed OSP optical fiber routes, documented routes in MapInfo, and performed Inside Plant Engineering for the headend.
1995 - 1998
Manufacturing Manager - Fiber Optic Products
·Managed a $4M quick turn fiber optic cable assembly manufacturing operation.Developed manufacturing procedures, processes, quality controls, and managed the production line to meet daily production schedules. Significantly improved cycle time and quality control during my tenure.Oversaw a staff of two team supervisors and 40 minimum wage assemblers.
1990 - 1995
- Started as an Engineering intern in the Quality Control department while completing my undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering. As Project Engineer, performed process development and environmental and mechanical testing on fiber optic connectors, attenuators, and optical splitters.
Skills / Technologies
Equipment: Infinera Optical Long Haul, Lucent Lambda Unite Optical Cross Connect & DMX family, Cisco 15454 SONET Mux, Cisco IP routers, Nokia Siemens Carrier Ethernet platform, Nortel SONET and Optical family including DX-192, OC-48, Metro 3500 & 5200, and Optera LH, APC Infrastruxture High Density collocation enclosures, -48V DC power systems, DC to AC inverters, Datum synchronization clocks, Leibert HVAC equipment. Detailed knowledge of different optical fiber types including chromatic and polarization mode dispersion.
2002 - 2006
Focus of study: Entrepreneurship
1993 - 1998
Master of Science - Electrical Engineering
New York Institute of Technology - School of Engineering & Technology
Focus of Study: Electromagnetics
1988 - 1993
Bachelor of Science - Electrical Engineering
Focus of study: Electromagnetics & Computer Architecture