- Halifax Nova Scotia
- [email protected]
I have experience using various types of social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr. I know how to create and post to a blog using several different formats, including Wordpress and Blogger. I'm familiar with a number of content management systems, including Dreamweaver and Polopoly.
I drafted and implemented a social media strategy for the MS Society, Atlantic Division, and was in charge of posting to the Facebook and Twitter accounts.
I am currently responsible for managing the webpage and Facebook and Twitter accounts for CTV Atlantic while working as the web editor.
Most recently, I have been working as a reporter and web editor for CTV Atlantic in Halifax. I spent four months in Sydney, N.S., working as a video journalist in a small bureau.
I am able to pitch, write, shoot and edit news stories for television broadcast.
I have a thorough knowledge of Canadian Press style and efficient editing techniques. I have done production work in the newsrooms at CTV Regina, Alberta Primetime and Global Edmonton, producing for a longform current affairs show, daily news, and a three-hour live morning show.
I am extremely well-organized and enjoy working as a member of a team.
· Hired to cover a paternity leave in the Sydney bureau of CTV Atlantic from December 2014 to March 2015. Worked as one of two video journalists in Sydney. Responsible for pitching, shooting, writing and editing stories.
· Currently working as a reporter and web editor in the Halifax newsroom. Responsible for pitching and writing stories for broadcast. Responsible for managing the CTV Atlantic webpage, Facebook account and Twitter account as web editor.
· Responsibilities include writing press releases, managing social media accounts and web content, writing and designing a newsletter.
· Implemented a social media policy and gave presentations to key MS Society volunteer leaders regarding the use of social media. After the implementation of this policy, the Atlantic Division's Twitter following increased by more than 90 per cent and the Facebook following increased by more than 30 per cent.
· Hired as part of a centralized copy editing venture, a small team of people responsible for copy editing all 19 of BNI's English-language publications.
· Responsibilities include editing local, national and international news, sports, entertainment news, features and special sections using Canadian Press Style.
· Spent several months responsible for overseeing the nightly editing of BNI's three daily newspapers. Responsible for final approval on many pages, including final edits of front pages. Demonstrated sound news judgment daily in vetting and fact-checking stories and sources.
· Volunteered to research and develop a local style guide in conjunction with CP style for all BNI newsrooms. Independently drafted sections of newspaper style regarding sports and Aboriginal Peoples.
Role: Chase producer for CTV Morning Live (May 2012 - July 2012), web journalist on weekends and holidays.
Responsibilities as chase producer include:
· Choosing, pulling and writing news stories for the show.
· Building lineups for a three-hour local morning show and managing time during the live show, including adding breaking news to the lineup and news ticker.
· Booking interviews and live guests for upcoming shows, handling guests during the live show.
· Communicating with talent and camera operators from the control room during the live show.
Role: Web journalist and video journalist (while attending classes at the University of Regina, September 2011 to April 2012.)
· Shooting and editing still photos for web stories. Writing original web content, rewriting news releases and television scripts into web stories.
· Shooting, writing and editing full news paks, VOSOTs, and VOs for the daily news.
Interned for three months with Global Edmonton, primarily working with the Noon News producer.
Interned for three months with the AccessTV (now CTV2) program Alberta Primetime, a current affairs show focused on provincial issues.
For more examples of my VJ work, please contact me.
· Saskatchewan Association of Broadcasters Tom G. Laing Scholarship (2012)
· Scored 5 on the College Board Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition test· Guaranteed Entrance Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan (2009)
· Governor General’s Academic Bronze Medal (2008) · Canada Millennium Excellence Award (2008) · Saskatchewan General Proficiency Award (2008)