- Reading, camping, hiking, running, gardening, piano, and flute.
- I also enjoy learning about cultural differences through reading as well as through full physical integration into various cultural experiences.
Philosophy of Education
Sara Van Aert
My name is Sara Van Aert and I believe that every child is entitled to respect, trust and love. It is my desire to provide a secure, caring and trusting environment in which children feel respected as individuals and feel secure in their learning abilities. It is my hope to provide every opportunity possible to allow optimal learning for each child, to grow along side with my students and be there to support each and every child along the way. I believe that every child is entitled to their own passions and dreams, therefore, it is my job as a competent teacher, to support them and guide them through their growth as learners as they strive to walk along their individual journey through life. In my own life experiences I have learned to value the diversity within each family and community and I intend on inspiring all children to consider diversity within their classroom as well as around the world and to incorporate these feelings into everything that they do. In order to give every child a sense of cultural pride I wish to educate every student on different traditions around the world and develop appreciation for their own traditions so that they may develop a sense of pride for who they are and to reflect this pride in their daily living.
Finally I believe that every child is entitled to exemplary education therefore it is my desire to include all children in my teachings regardless of their abilities and to provide a loving and accepting learning environment which is rooted in the idea of giving respect to all.
All Saints Catholic Church: Child Sunday service leader January 2010 – present
Sunday Service Teacher
- Develop and implement Catholic children's lesson plans, including a craft which relates to specific Bible teachings.
- Children range from ages two to twelve years of age with a group ranging from ten to forty children.
University Child Care and Learning Centre- Guelph, Ontario January 2009 - April 2009
Practicum Student: Pre-Kindergarten Classroom
- Created two or more lesson plans per week for up to eight students in areas including dramatic play, sensory play, literacy, math, creativity, science and exploratory play, and computer area.
- Carefully performed modification and adaptation of lesson plans and area layouts based on various needs and developmental stages of the students.
Taylor Evans Public school- Guelph, Ontario October 2006 - April 2010
- Volunteered in a special education classroom for youth between the ages of ten and sixteen years.
- Duties included assisting with lesson preparation, lesson implementing, daily documentation and working one on one with many of the children.
Friends of the Orphans – Orphanage February 11- 23rd, 2007
- Volunteered at a Christian Orphanage aiding in elementary school classrooms, including a special education classroom.
- Organized and implemented games with children aged newborn to sixteen years old and assisted in building the Orphanage high school and hospital.
YMCA DASH program leader – Guelph/Strathroy, On. January 2010 - present
DASH program designer/implementer
- Designed and implemented DASH program focusing on promoting healthy activity and leadership in the local elementary schools.
- Taught senior students key leadership skills and developed scheduling and resources to allow students to become recess DASH leaders where they would implement active games and decrease bullying on the playgrounds.
Dear London District Catholic School Board hiring manager,
I would like to apply for a position with the London district Catholic School Board as a supply staff starting May 1st, 2011. I am currently completing my B.Ed. in Education in the primary/Junior division from Nipissing University and have successfully completed a four year undergraduate degree in Child, Youth and family studies at the University of Guelph, Ontario. I have focused most of my volunteering and work experience with children ages 3- 12 with varying disabilities and have experience with varying cultural and religious backgrounds. I am extremely passionate about learning about, and promoting, cultural diversity during my teaching, work and volunteer experiences. I have also had the incredible experience of traveling to Dominican Republic, Italy as well as Kenya where I was able to fully engulf myself in the cultural traditions and experiences during my time there. These experiences have enabled me to understand the importance that structure, nurture, trust and most importantly, respect, has in a child’s life.
I have spent much time in the classroom during my 5 years of post-graduate schooling and believe that my background and experience will help me to positively impact both student and staff communities within the school. All students have the right to education and I am willing to invest my time and effort to help each individual attain personal success.
I believe that my experience and education will complement the philosophy and atmosphere of the School and I am eager to have the opportunity to use my resources to positively contribute to the School and staff community.
If you have questions, please feel free to call me at (519) 280-1463 or by email at email@example.com . I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sara Van Aert
Apr 2009 - Present
- After School Full Time Caretaker and facilitator:
- Developed and implemented activities/lesson plans for ten twenty children aged three to twelve years.
- prepared and distributed healthy snacks and promoted healthy eating and lifestyles.
- Part Time After School Care taker:
- Care for up to fourteen students age seven to twelve.
- take children on hiking trips, and prepare and implement daily lessons/ activities.
- DASH program designer/implementer (Volunteer):
Designed and implemented DASH program focusing on promoting healthy activity and leadership in the local elementary schools.
Taught senior students key leadership skills and developed scheduling and resources to allow students to become recess DASH leaders where they would implement active games and decrease bullying on the playgrounds.
Feb 2011 - Present
International students teaching
BEd International Teaching Practicum - Nairobi, KenyaFebruary 5 – 25th, 2011
- Developed an improved three week long school units for children aged three to ten for up to forty students.
- Actively supervised and coordinated implementation of programs by fellow student teachers and staff.
- Developed and participated in activities and workshops within the student teacher community.
- Meticulously performed preparatory work for program including craft preparation, lesson planning, scheduling outings and activity preparation.
- Volunteered in building development at the local elementary school as well as assisting with daily activities within the local community
Oct 2010 - Dec 2010
St. George Catholic Elementary school
St. George Catholic School student teacher – London, Ontario October 2010 - December 2010
- Thoroughly developed, implemented, and analyzed differentiated lesson plans for grade two/three mathematics, social studies, language, and health.
- Effectively assessed and evaluated student progress in mathematics, social studies, and language.
- Introduced new Daily Physical Activity routines using dance and music.
- Attended and participated in IPRC and staff meetings.
- Implemented lessons using SMART Board technology.
Sep 2006 - Apr 2010
Victory Kids Club After school Care
- Created and implemented crafts and activities based on curriculum standards with children aged three to twelve and cared for up to ten children at a time.
- Taught and assisted with Physical Education, music, Fully Alive, Math , Science, French, and social Studies regularly in large group, small group, remedial and one-on-one scenarios.
May 2009 - Sep 2009
International Au Pair
Paulo and Leila Bianchi
- Stayed and traveled with family while teaching them English, specifically the two children ages three and sixteen.
-Provided meals for children, implemented activities, prepared and implemented daily English lessons.
- Mentored and corrected children and parents on proper English grammar.