My name is Sarah Koci and I am currently finishing up my first semester in graduate school at Wichita State University where I am pursuing my Masters of Social Work. I graduated from Kansas State University with Bachelors in Social Science and a Minor in Nonprofit Leadership Studies last May. I want to pursue a career in the nonprofit, social work field where I am working with children who have come from troubled backgrounds. I believe that every child deserves the chance to develop his or her own skills so that they have the opportunity to be successful no matter what life circumstances they have run in to. I hope to be one person in a child's life that can help empower him or her to be who they want to be. My current practicum placement is with Communities in Schools at Valley Center Middle School. I feel that I have had the opportunity to develop many of the skills that I will use in my future social work career through this placement.
Aug 2011 - Present
Communities In Schools is the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization. The mission of Communities In Schools is to champion the connection of needed community resources with schools to help young people successfully learn, stay in school and prepare for life. My tasks include but are not limited to the following:
• Provide mentoring in the form of groups, tutoring, and one on one interaction for children to help them with educational difficulties as well as social, behavioral, and emotional problems.
• Help provide the basic needs for children when their needs are not being met at home.
• Help plan Reality-U to promote financial literacy as well as help plan the annual Health fair to help promote healthy bodies and healthy minds.
Dec 2011 - Present
Child Attendant Care Worker
The Mental Health Association works to empower and assist youth, families and adults in our community to achieve optimal mental health and wellness through education, advocacy, and service.
•Work with mentally ill children towards the goal of becoming more self-sufficient in daily living skills through exercises in the home, school and community.
•Help provide assistance with symptom management and other activities that promote recovery.
Jan 2011 - May 2011
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Riley County is a non-profit organization that helps boys and girls, most of whom are considered at risk and live in single-parent homes, achieve their full potential through long-term personal relationships with carefully screened and caring volunteers. My tasks included but were not limited to the following:
• Organized, publicized and played an integral role in running our yearly fundraiser Bowl For Kid’s Sake.
• Conducted numerous interviews with potential volunteers and ran background checks.
• Increased awareness of the organization and its needs through effective networking and presentations to potential donors and volunteers.
• Maintained databases in order to track donations and in-kind gifts.
• Ran the Bigs In Schools program in St. Mary’s by meeting with the children and volunteers to evaluate how the matches were going.
Aug 2007 - May 2009
• I Recruited new students to Kansas State University by representing the university through campus tours to prospective freshmen and transfer students and coordinating visits for prospective students.
May 2004 - Jan 2008
My tasks included but were not limited to the following:
• Provided child care for ten to twelve kindergarteners during the week.
• Planned educational lessons and daily activities.