Group Commissioning Editor
Central Media Group (OFM radio, Mahareng Publishers, corresponding websites)
- Top management level that manages journalists and editors in a multimedia newsroom delivering content to radio station, newspaper, magazines and websites.
- Human resource management with performance evaluations, administration of personnel matters like leave, vacation, disciplinary procedures, work schedules, office structures and monitoring of work performance.
- Execute communication, media coverage, marketing and business strategies and projects.
- News management, assigning work to news team, monitor and evaluate news tendencies, occurrences etc.
- Improve work performance
- Train and upskill staff members to grow and develop in their work performance
- Keep reports and statistics on newsroom's contribution to the business initiatives
- Help design and plan campaigns and special features for marketing products or service in the news media
- Implement the business ideas that involve the delivery of content and work routine of staff.
- Set up policies and strategies and initiate innovations to promote and improve the journalism, service to the public, profits, performance, news delivery to our audiences, etc.
March 2010 to January 2011
Institute: Sandula Tours, a tour operating business in Bloemfontein.
Position: Owner of Sandula Tours. Self employed
- Conducted several tours with South Africans, Japanese, Slovakians and some other nations during Fifa World cup.
- Designed a website and launched http://www.sandulatours.co.za in May 2010.
- Designed tours, interact with service providers like restaurants, hotels, bus companies etc. to design tours to the Free State, Lesotho, Northern Cape, Cape Town, Pretoria, West Coast and more.
- Use marketing strategies to promote the business and attract customers. Used radio, internal newsletters, pamphlets, advertisements in newspapers.
- Created links to other websites
- Social media, email marketing, network marketing and social networks were integrated in the marketing plan.
- Developed a niche and did market penetration through surveys.
- Computer literate. Microsoft, Methode, Skype, Google, Adobe, Dreamweaver, web design, Microsoft word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, etc.
03/2008 to 2/2010
Institute: Naspers/Media 24/Volksblad, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Position: Senior journalist and deputy news editor at Afrikaanse daily Volksblad
- News selection, manage and supervise news room and journalists.
- Give instruction and guidance to journalists
- Handling public inquiries regarding news matters, edit news stories, write news stories and features, organise meetings and attend news meetings.
- Computer literacy needed. Use Microsoft, Adobe, Eidos, Methode,
- Compiled articles, and do news gathering at times when she wasn’t standing in for the news editor.
- Student reporters were also guided by her while they do their practical training as part of their degrees.
12/2004 to 2/2008
Institution: Naspers / Media 24 in Bloemfontein, South Africa
Position: Editor of the Afrikaans tabloid Son Central in die Central region of South Africa.
- Responsible for the selection of editorial content of every edition of the weekly newspaper.
- Producing articles or news reports, finding correspondents to supply stories, rewriting texts, taking pictures and liaise with advertisers, news contacts and general public.
- Trained and supervise correspondents and reporters working for Son.
- Meeting deadlines and be able to work under pressure.
- Helped in the planning of reaching the target market through correct distribution, promotions and other marketing activities. The main objective was to increase the circulation.
2/2000 to 11/2004 (worked in Taiwan as English teacher)
Institution: Joy Enterprises Organization (American School) in Taipei, Taiwan.
Position: English Teacher at Joy American School (Preschool) in Tienmu (Taipei) and Joy Children’s Language School (Regular School) in Yunghe (Taipei County)
- Working with students between the ages of three and seventeen.
- Teaching English as a Secondary Language to Chinese children, involved with general education as well as guidance in acquiring life skills, discipline and responsibility.
- Responsible for teaching Art, Math, Music, Science and Physical Education.
- Participated in the preparation of children’s stage performances during graduations or Christmas ceremonies. Responsible for script writing and rehearsals.
- Recipient of Teacher of the Year 2003-award from the Department of Education in Taiwan.
- Recipient of Teacher of the Year 2004 of Joy American School.
6/1995 to 12/1999
Institution: Afrikaans daily Beeld, a publication of Naspers/Media 24, in Pretoria
Position: Senior reporter
- Reporting crime events, correctional services, community affairs, education and general issues.
- Developed relationships with key sources in collecting information, versed in researching topics and accustomed to demanding deadlines and high-pressure situations.
- Involved in training junior reporters in news gathering and writing.
- Recipient of Beeld Journalist of the Year 1998 award and nominated for Scoop of the Year in 1999.
1/1994 to 6/1995
Institution: Metro (weekly), a publication of Perskor Ltd.
- Reporting on military, police, crime, education, welfare and general issues.
- Assisted management in establishing the new weekly newspaper Metro.
- Freelanced for an associated magazine Keur.
2/1989 to 1/1994
Institution: Transvaler, a publication of Perskor Ltd.
- Reported crime, military issues, politics, welfare and education.
- Conducting seminars for junior media officers of the police service and school pupils on the newspaper industry.