Complex Commercial Litigation
Diversified complex litigation practice representing clients in all aspects of commercial disputes. Appeared in state and federal courts (trial and appellate), arbitration, mediation, and regulatory proceedings. Day-to-day case management experience including pre-litigation analysis, developing litigation strategies, managing discovery and fact-development, coordinating expert materials, preparing and defending corporate employees for deposition and trial testimony, drafting and arguing motions, and examining fact and expert witnesses at deposition and trial.
High Profile Cases
Franco v. Cigna
- Represented Cigna in $3+ billion class action relating to out-of-network health insurance benefits. Lead role deposing plaintiffs' class certification and damages expert.
- Following more than three years of discovery, multiple depositions of plaintiffs' expert, and two years of briefing, the Court rejected plaintiffs' motion to certify a class in part because plaintiffs lacked a cognizable theory of proving damages on a class-wide basis and ultimately granted a motion for summary judgment.
- Notably, several other major health insurers represented by other law firms settled or agreed to settle cases involving similar allegations for a combined total of more than $700 million.
In re MSR Resort Golf Course LLC, et al.
- Represented debtors in multi-billion chapter 11 proceeding involving five iconic resorts including the Grand Wailea hotel and the Doral Golf Resort and Spa.
- Managed numerous litigation matters arising during the underlying bankruptcy, including a $300+ million rejection damages claim brought by Hilton and an approximately $20 million rejection damages claim brought by Marriott.