|I am a creative go-getter and all-rounder communicator with more than 15 years’ experience in journalism, research, copywriting, public relations, marketing, photography, social media and online.|
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FrontPage), WordPerfect, Adobe (PhotoShop, InDesign), Internet, E-mail, Envision Publisher, Quark Express
Afrikaans, English (both excellent), Dutch, German, Xhosa (basic)
Feb 2015 - Present
Cape Town Manager
Managing all Media Analysis of ROI Africa, including for high-profile clients like Sasol and PPC All PR-related activities like the writing and distribution of press releases and thought leadership articles, as well as media statistic data. Ad hoc broadcast monitoring and radio and TV interviews regarding ROI Africa's media statistics. Managing of social media for ROi Africa, including the writing of content. Manage Cape Town clients' training and any customer-related issues.
May 2014 - Jan 2015
- Copywriting requirements of all brands (Spur, Panarottis, John Dory’s, Hussar Grill, Captain DoRegos), including text for advertorials, articles, social media, websites, online platforms and integrated report.
- Copy checking of all advertisements, menus, manuals and material.
- Conceptualising of advertisements, along with graphic designer.
- Proofreading of corporate text (integrated report, presentations, etc.)
- Managing all public relations activities relating to Spur Corporation’s CSI portfolio (Spur Foundation), as well as ad hoc corporate public relations.
- Liaising with media for interviews and information requirements.
- Writing of internal press releases relating to all brands, which go out to staff and franchisees.
- Photographer for Spur’s social responsibility and environmental events.
- Managing content of Spur’s Magazine for Kids, Spur Tribe (strategising, writing of some content and proofreading).
- Managing all Spur’s Kids ‘Ads, which includes strategising, sourcing content ideas, writing all content, liaising with graphic designer, managing production process and proofreading.
Jul 2012 - Apr 2014
ITRON(SOUTHERN AND EASTERN AFRICA)
Updating of the Sharepoint based Intranet and writing and designing banners for Intranet. Liaising with service providers to resolve IT issues relating to the Intranet. Compiling of draft material for social media(managed by head office in USA). Compiling and sending out of internal newsletter, Livewire(HTML). Writing and compiling of all marketing and communications material(including layout). Layout, design and updating of promotional material. Drafting of internal press releases. Compiling of information for external releases(external press release writing handled by head office in America). Arranging of travelling and logistics surrounding internal and external events(like the Itron User's Conference). Managing all internal events, like sports days, team buildings. Arranging all internal CSI projects, like Casual Day, Wellness Days and Movember. Managing ad hoc donations(admin and handing over of donation) and providing support to global projects. Serve on strategising committee, deciding on which CSI projects to support.
Mar 2011 - Jul 2012
Communications and Liaison Specialist
ANNIQUE HEALTH AND BEAUTY
Feb 2009 - Mar 2011
Special Publications & Electronic Media
Sep 2007 - Dec 2008
Marketing Coordinator Wrote, designed and distributed the company's internal newsletter. Initiated incident report mailers that were sent out to the media and customers as it happened. Was responsible for the conceptualisation, writing and design of sales division's external newsletters. Worked with external company to update and maintain DigiCore's company website. Handled whole PR function(writing and distributing of press releases and dealing with the media, especially around the release of financial results) Writing of content for company's Annual Report Managed all internal(year-end functions, etc.) and external events(launches, trade events, sports days), including booking of events, event planning, managing of marketing material for event. Was the internal and external event photographer Was responsible to compile proposal on annual social responsibility projects to the Board Arranged social responsibility donations and publicity around that. Full stock keeping function of marketing collateral Managing invoices of department on AccPac Preparing departmental budget for Exco Input into strategy of company's Marketing Strategy.
Apr 2006 - Aug 2007
Writing and compiling and sourcing of information for kykNET website(including individual programme sites). Strategising on programme content and website development, in line with kykNET's marketing strategy. Managing of all SMS competitions on site, including voting for the Kwêla Video Competition. Liaising with developers, Production houses and programme managers for developing of new applications for website, like the Roer application where viewers could download selective recipes via the TV and website. Strategising of plans on marketing of website, including mention on programmes on TV and things that could increase web traffic, like live chats with well-known Afrikaans singers. Day-to-day updating and maintaining of website, ensuring it is of the highest quality. Writing of all content on the kykNET site. Assisted in PR activities for new kykNET programmes like the launch of Groentjie. Contributing to weekly DSTV newsletter. Representing the kykNET website at various social events, like Idols. Support of all kykNET social responsibility projects on the website. Compiling and presenting of monthly website traffic report to kykNET and Don't Look Down.
Dec 2002 - Mar 2006
- Evaluation, editing and dispatching of press material to clients.
- Reading of publications for client mentions.
- Liaising with clients and suppliers.
- Developing media analysis system.
- Training of staff on analysis.
- Analysing press material, compiling and editing of analysis reports and presentation of reports to clients.
Oct 1998 - Dec 2002
Media Scanner & Newsdesk Facilitator
- Developing e-mail news distribution system for client alerts.
- Managing team of about five writers writing the morning news reviews, ensuring products go out within deadline and in good quality.
- Developing of new news review publications.
- Live monitoring of five radio stations simultaneously for clients mentions and informing them of mentions.
- Handling client queries.
- Training of news review writers.
- Cold calling in reaction to mentions on live radio.
- Assisting sales executives with presentations.
Compilation and writing of regional newsletter, which was distributed with the company’s internal newsletter.
- Listening to recordings of various radio stations, summarising interviews and news items and translating it.
- Live listening of morning drive time shows and alerting clients to any mentions.
Adobe PhotoShop Course
Certificate Wine Course
Cape Wine Academy
Preliminary Wine Course
Cape Wine Academy
1999 - 2000
Website Design Course
Hons B. Journalism
University of Stellenbosch
Media Ethics, Photography, Page Layout, Science Journalism, Cultural Literacy, Media Practice, English, Afrikaans, Computer Literacy. Internship: Sarie magazine
1994 - 1996
University of Stellenbosch
Sociology III, Afrikaans and Dutch III, Linguistics II, English B I, German B I, Xhosa I
1989 - 1993
Voortrekker High, Wynberg, Cape Town
Afrikaans, English, Mathematics, Music, Biology, Home Economics (all Higher Grade)
PRO: Wood Owl Cottage and Klein Paradijs Guesthouses
Photography and journalism: Getaway, Cape Argus, Pretoria News, Die Burger, The Star
Freelance PRO: GrandWest Miss Peninsula Beauty pageant (writing of press releases, liaising with media, organising of events and advertising for pageant, accompanying finalists on various outings, arranging itinerary for finalists).
Freelance writer, journalist and photographer: FinesseMeisie, Idees
Freelance PRO, Social Media Manager and Media Analyst: ROi Africa
Course Writer and Compiler: iGrow Academy